Czaar

fix for boats stuck? idea

currently i have a raft visiting a nearby island but the dang thing git stuck facing a rock. I'm unsure if this is an issue with other boat types. 

Could we possibly get an option to drag the boat away from the shore? similar to drag body but much slower where our char swims, clinging to the raft, slowly bringing it out to sea. (company members only to prevent griefing of course)

If this is a common issue with bigger boats, o e could make it based on weight in such that multiple people needed to pull larger boats and/or empty the boat chests to get it to move.

if gripping the boat directly would be unwanted to keep (hold e) menus clean, maybe make a rope to tow boats craftable.

another option to fix would be to make boats slowly drift to face the direction the steering wheel is facing without sails open. This doesnt make much sense imo but it might be easier to implement. It would be amazing if it would do this anchored too so we could set the boat to turn around while we explore an island. then the boat is facing outward when we leave.

Thanks for reading. I just really want to get my raft off the island. 

An idea that will probably be turned into a mod is called some sort of hook that can be thrown to the ship and then pulled by your team or by yourself. 

Ramming works. I had a sloop stuck facing a rock and ramming with raft worked. You could probably ram a raft with another raft to get it unstuck.

56 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

Ramming works. I had a sloop stuck facing a rock and ramming with raft worked. You could probably ram a raft with another raft to get it unstuck.

Or you will end up with two stuck rafts 😄

12 hours ago, Czaar said:

..make boats slowly drift to face the direction the steering wheel is facing without sails open...

You can turn stationary if the ship has a rudder. Doesn't help you, I know, but worth knowing if you beach anything else. As I have several times 😄

yeah stucking happens a lot, I already had lost 3 rafts this way. Alternative to all suggested ways to fix that could be letting rafts (and possibly other ships) to swim backwards. Wind is blowing right in your face, raft is stationary, you rotate sails for max efficiency according to wind (in this case 180) and open up them. I have difficult time to understand why raft still insists to go forward (against the wind). In real life if ship is stationary and not anchored it/she is just another log which drifts in direction of water streams and winds. There is no such thing as hard break preventing ship drifting in direction different than it/she is facing. Anchor, speed with rudder and keel present and oars in case of rowboats are the only means to make ship moving in direction different than wind is blowing (I ignore engines here)..

another realistic idea could be to let crew use longer stick to push themselves from shore. The same way like rowers do in rowboats with oars. Raft is small and light, it should be possible.