Greed

Allow for Shipyards to be used as Docks

As of now, the only use of the shipyard is to make ships. What if we can anchor or rather harbor 1 ship to the shipyard? This would work like the hitching post in s+ for Ark or the new breeding thing they added with extinction. This way, the ships would be more protected and shipyards would have a greater use (maybe give them a minor durability buff while harbored). 

My boats keep getting attacked by crocodiles and such that aggro onto my crewmembers. This would be a nice fix.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Agreed. It would be awesome if we could come to "anchor depth" of a shipyard, jetty or pier and then secure to it in a manner similar to anchring.

If nothing else, allow this please! Or even better would be to add a specific building ships can dock to so we can make our own ports with ceilings and pillars.

• Like 1

I think it would be better if you could place Mooring Posts on structures that would when grappled allow a ship to be pulled in and tied off via the anchor.  2 for sloop, 3 for schooner, 4 for brig, and 5 for galleon.

• Like 2

You can already do that I use them as protection just back into  the one corresponding size of your ship and im not trolling you can back your ship in, just pull up in line turn around with no sails open and hit the S key and you ship will back up slowly then just anchor and walla.

Now Im sure you ment like a dock button or something like that and it will auto put your ship there but I dont forsee that happening.

Hope this helps,

• Thanks 1

i already do this. I use reverse to back my ship into the shipyard and park it there. I created the shipyard parallel to my dock and made a ramp for easily getting in and out of the shipyard.

I realy would love if you could dock ships back into the shipyard, like it is while being constructed.  
this will make offline griefing of ships less devastating to the game, as it is now.

Like a build ship in the shipyard can be damaged and looted, but atleast it won't sink entirely because someone damaged 1 plank, while being offline.

• Like 2

NUMBER ONE MAKE IT SO! (~Jean-Luc Picard finger raised high in the air)

It would be so nice to have a real dock, have seen so many hack jobs and nice attempts.  

Backing into shipyard and having for example a “dry dock” option which would allow for damage to be done but no sinking would be amazing! It is so discouraging to wake up to a harbor full of sunken ships that were sunk by one guy with fire arrows and oil jars....we have been greifed like this by two guys for over a week now. We have swivel etc. but they just kill the AI and proceed as usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turning the shipyard into a drydock could also be used as a mechanic for repairing damaged ships. (ie  pull the damaged ship (and by damaged ship i mean missing planks) into the shipyard "raise" it and stop/extend the sinking timer)

• Like 1

Right now it starts to feel like the meta is, "have no ships". People have become very good in knowing when companies are offline and are experts in destroying whole fleets at nearly no costs. So if you build large ships, you loose. If you build sloops and a few fire arrows you win.

The docking idea would solve this and move the game back towards fleets. If they decide to take the time to destroy the shipyards, they still succeed but it would stop those nightly sabotage missions.

This is much more realistic as weird offline protection bubbles and would make the game more fun again.

Edited by Raysix

Great idea.  I agree there should be a protection to ships in the dock.  That way it will force people to park there ships, and leave the ones they care more about protected in the dock.  There could be a cannot be sunk trait to things parked inside.  Makes sense since you prevent the ship from sinking while you are building it.  Maybe, worst case, have it cost some wood and materials to dry dock it, then re-launch it when you want it to get out.  That way the dry dock buff makes it so it cant be sunk.

• Thanks 1

Agree with the idea. It should have a cosy to dry dock it. Like the use of ropes craftable with fibers. The bigger the ship the number of ropes needed

The ability to dry-dock a ship in a shipyard would be very nice. even if it becomes a list of parts and has to be released and possibly renamed.    

I was going to suggest having a separate dock that you can build and place, but I like the idea of giving shipyards another use. I think you should be able to pull a ship near a shipyard, access your ship, and then select to dock. At that point your boat appears docked and anchored with an easy way on and off, like the scaffolding while you're building a ship.

Also, shipyards should be more forgiving to place.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Jay8454 said:

Snap pieces to it, the ability would be great.

Yes. There is a mod, [SPUK] Advanced Structures that will be adding snappoints for shipyards soon.

Just make it be able to be used to crate a ship or "repair" a ship and call it a dry dock option...  you could make tether points on the side by ship type per dock type... that should have been done since day one... 

• Like 1

Why not just ask for a mooring pillar that could be attached to docks or ceiling tiles/floor tiles or docks

I agree. They should also do something about the recovery of sunken ships from shallow waters near shipyards.