Sign in to follow this  
xool

Revert "sailing against the wind" change, please

Hi there,

" Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%. "

Revert this, please, sailing is easy enough already.

• Thanks 1

sup for reverting!!!!

with this it is nearby impossible to maneuver in an build harbour. With 0% you could turn without moving, no you god damn ram everything while turning around.

1 hour ago, don said:

sup for reverting!!!!

with this it is nearby impossible to maneuver in an build harbour. With 0% you could turn without moving, no you god damn ram everything while turning around.

lower your sails and you don't move... but I still agree for this revert. Keep the other sail changes, but this? Too arcade like for my liking... at the very least reduce it to something like 10% We can get where we need to perfectly fine by tacking. I'm not going to claim everything in the game is realistic, obviously things need to be balanced for game play, but this is too unrealistic.

What is funny about this, is if it had been this way from the start, no one would have complained about it. Now that they change it (for who knows what reason), the way it was is the best and the way it should work.

It took everyone I assume a few hours to get the hang of sailing, I think after a few hours with the change it will seem perfectly fine and any new change will feel wrong 🙂

Happy to have it above 0, 30% seems a bit overboard. maybe 10% which should allow you to turn while doing an into wind tac

I think the change was a classic case of "oversteering." A change was needed; the problem before was unlucky wind direction could prevent you from doing anything because, for example, you couldn't get your ship out of harbor. But 30% now means you can do anything if you're willing to be inconvenienced a little.

I'd prefer something like 5%. Enough to get yourself around an island but not so much that you might choose an inter-island trip against the wind. While I don't want unlucky wind direction to debilitate game play, I still believe it should be a driving force in channeling game play.

4 hours ago, NewLexican said:

I think the change was a classic case of "oversteering." [...]

"buhu, i can't escape the attack when i have to sail against the wind."

that rather is the reason for 'oversteering' - the whining of 14yr olds trying to rule pvp and getting their butts handed to them.

i'm for reverting it or reduce to 5%.

Edited by Ucan_Kizmiaz
typo

On 1/4/2019 at 7:22 PM, Tom Bombadier said:

lower your sails and you don't move... but I still agree for this revert. Keep the other sail changes, but this? Too arcade like for my liking... at the very least reduce it to something like 10% We can get where we need to perfectly fine by tacking. I'm not going to claim everything in the game is realistic, obviously things need to be balanced for game play, but this is too unrealistic.

Tack a Galleon, then.

As for unrealistic things that need patched...
https://clips.tidylabs.stream/MarkedFrameSlippery
they can remove minor quality of life changes when magical boat deletion and other insanely detrimental issues are smoothed out. Til then, leave us a small grace for all the unrealistic things that take from us each day.

Edited by GunnyTheGrey

I love these people who are for keeping it.  Sorry but if you cant outrun a SotD with a sloop and a medium handling sail then you cant sail and should probably stick to being a passenger or on land.

On 1/4/2019 at 12:17 PM, xool said:

Hi there,

" Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%. "

Revert this, please, sailing is easy enough already.

in my opinion it didn't make sailing more easier or difficult since you can't break by simply turning the sails out of the wind and stopping instantly.

It just reduces downtime a bit because you don't need to either wait for the wind to turn or wiggle into your harbor when the wind isn't in your direction. and you don't get away from sods with 30% anyways.

The 30% might be a bit too high so they could reduce it to 15 to 20 % but its not that big of a deal

Edited by darkmeadow