Sign in to follow this  
Lee

Fire Arrows

Fire Arrows didn't need just a damage nerf for their Nuke-like effectiveness against players, they needed to be made like the tools, useless against ship hulls. As it stands you can still easily and cheaply sink fleets of ships using just rafts and fire arrows, it just takes a bit longer with the reduced damage.

Last time I checked in the Age of Sail and anything Pirate related, Swords, Guns and Cannons were used for a reason, I am pretty sure the majority of players came here for that and never expected Fire Arrows to be one of the dominant weapons ( alongside fists and shields for their perma stun abiltiies, I'm naked with fists killing fully armoured guys who have guns because I can perma stun them with a punch ) .

People also have lives and like to sleep sometimes, so it should take Cannons and explosives to sink ships, so players are forced to actually bring something valuable out of their harbour, or players should be forced to capture the boats if not. Fire Arrows could still burn down doors, beds, boxes etc on board the ship, but as it stands the cost vs reward for Fire Arrow spam against the Cost + time of making a ship is massively unbalanced. There is no reason for us to do anything but sink entire fleets in enemy harbours with fire arrow spam, it's so cheap in both terms - cost and how cheesy it is.

Fire Arrows should be an area denial tool, something to clear small rooms or bottlenecks out with, not to nuke players and boats with, they shouldn't set players on fire, they should only set the ground on fire, they shouldn't set ship hulls on fire. People may come here and disagree with me or try to say "git gud" but we have been doing this ourselves and we have sunk far more ships than we've lost, but it's getting boring and lame, everyone's doing it and if we don't do it we will be the ones who lose, give us a reason to actually use explosives and cannons, i.e the weapons that were actually used in the Age of Sail and in the golden age of Pirates which this game clearly has its theme set on.

Only cannons should be able to sink ships. Fire arrows need another purpose, at most they should be used to burn down sails when it comes to ship damage. Too strong even with the nerf.

Because...  I dunno reality is that..  people have used fire arrows to burn...wood....ships...since...  I dunno both fire and wood ships has existed?

Just be glad they finally stopped mellee tools from sinking ships..  nothing like a 10 person zerg using metal scythes...  Sinking your ships with no noise...while swimming there underwater whole way..  fire is at least obvious!

I don't feel that fire should be eliminated from harming a ship... afterall, they are wood. But since half the hull is under water it shouldn't fully sink it, maybe just destroy the deck and sails/masts or something.

Z

How about this.  Fire arrows might drip thus setting your ship/raft ablaze.  Put some risk in there for whoever uses it.  Also ZNICK's suggestion sounds good to me.  Let it burn the sails and deck, but not sink a ship. 

As other states, the ship burning should stay, just make it less damaging if there is such an issue and perhaps make it so they mostly damage sails but deal very low damage to planks.