TimTam

Ship Sails

I love the game, however, with ships, there is also aesthetics. A 6 masted Galleon looks ridiculous, at most Galleons historically had 4 masts, and personally, I think 6 masts looks ugly as all hell. Maybe introduce extra large sails for the galleon? And limit placement points to a maximum of 4 placeable sails.

Also would love to see some front sails like in the old sailing ships, would look fantastic!

La_Recouvrance.JPG

Edited by TimTam
  • Like 4

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks about certain things.

I made a post the other day asking exactly the same things.

In addition I suggested a sails revisiting. Because sails like handling and weight one should be much more efficient in upwind sailing. 

They should also add jib sails to make bowstrips useful.

They announced new headfigures (or bowstrips) today ... I was looking forward to this update but I'm disappointed to be honest. They are too big and showy. The boats are too fat already and not slender at all.

I would love to see this too... but until we get more realistic sailing profiles for the sails they would have little effect.  

As for the picture of the USS Pennsylvania.... you can actually build a 3rd rate SoL currently... put about 60-80 guns on a galleon hull.  

Love that half-lug-half-square sail combo on the mizzen mast. It would be cool if you could build larger sail types as stackable combos like that.

+1 To topic.

I think the bow sprits, should be automatically setup either when placing the most forward sail or there needs to be a specific sail type that incorporates this look, so when it is mounted it has to be mounted at the bow of the ship, so we'd need to have a speed sail for the bow, speed or turning sails for the mid/center and speed/turning sails for the stern.  Each would have it's own styling and be specific for those parts of the ship, so some could be used in combination, whilst others could only be placed specifically.  I'd also like to see extra sheets for running sails which would allow overall faster speeds, but would perhaps have a lower durability and might cause increase durability loss during storms etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail_plan