Sign in to follow this  
RogueLdr

Questions about sails

I've seen people reference things like "sail usage" and a speed bonus. Are these stats only visable to the shipwright, because i haven't seen them anywhere.

Trying to figure out the best sail combo's for dif ships but have no info to work off of as they don't have stats.

Also i've noticed that some sails seem to only be placeable facing backwards, is this a bug or am i missing something?

I'm aware of the dif sail types, i just want to know if there was a way to compare them.

I.E.

How much faster is a med speed sail then a small
How much speed do you lose using a handling vs a speed

That sort of thing.

No idea, some people even go as far as saying a sail in the back gives more speed Vs. a handling sail.

Once again, I've seen nothing confirmed just people talking and ships with all sorts of variations. I'd like to figure this out as well.

2 minutes ago, Malfunktion said:

Sloop i have 2 speed sails can out run anything. Majority use those cause of aod 

I wonder how do 2 small speed sails compares to a single medium speed sail let's say on a sloop

7 minutes ago, Bushma said:

I wonder how do 2 small speed sails compares to a single medium speed sail let's say on a sloop

This was the nature of my question.

Though as is my understanding 1 large is better then 2 med, 1 med better then 2 small.

My question is how much do you really lose or gain?

How much speed do you get from a speed sail vs a handling?

4 minutes ago, RogueLdr said:

This was the nature of my question.

Though as is my understanding 1 large is better then 2 med, 1 med better then 2 small.

My question is how much do you really lose or gain?

How much speed do you get from a speed sail vs a handling?

Yea it's difficult to know that as we have no stats to check.

As for speed vs handling I switched to speed from handling just because handing sails actually improve ship turning speed which doesn't make any sense and I've posted a suggestion regarding this already.

well on a sloop a med speed sail is best because you can drive and man the sail solo if you put the wheel directly behind the sail.

Edited by elwhappo
misspelling

13 minutes ago, elwhappo said:

well on a sloop a med speed sail is best because you can drive and man the sail solo if you put the wheel directly behind the sail.

True i do use 2 though personally 

On 1/5/2019 at 1:24 AM, Malfunktion said:

Can put 2 med speed on sloop

How? Sloop has 2.0 sail units and med speed is 1.7 units

Edited by Nuka

On 1/4/2019 at 11:23 PM, Bushma said:

I hace been reading alot of forum posts and people have actually taking this matter into thier hands and built the setups and speed along eachother. The conclusion was this:

1 big is faster then 2 medium

1 medium is faster then then 2 small.

They can however not present any numbers but by visual observations

Edited by pygmy

2 minutes ago, pygmy said:

I hace been reading alot of forum posts and people have actually taking this matter into thier hands and built the setups and speed along eachother. The conclusion was this:

1 big is faster then 2 medium

1 medium is faster then then 2 small.

They can however not present any numbers but by visual observations

Thanks! Though it becomes even more complicated when starting to compare different types of sails -.-". But a speed multiplier or wind effectiveness stat for sails would be nice to have.

I use one medium sail on my sloop designs.  No point in putting two on there.  The sloop is a glorified raft.   And by definition the sloop is a single mast vessel.

For day to day sailing I prefer the handling sail over the speed sail, but the speed sail is faster with the right wind conditions.  The handling sail just is better for longer trips in variable wind conditions.    And I wouldnt even bother with the weight sail on a sloop... it is kind of pointless.

I had a sloop with 2 small speed sails.  I got passes by a schooner or brig.  I went looking for answers.  

What I found for a sloop:

1 medium speed sail > 2 small speed sails.

For the other boats 1 large speed sail > 2 medium speed sails

Sloop with 1 medium speed sail not overloaded is the fastest a sloop can be.  That speed just means you are as fast as a full speed schooner/brig/galleon.  Just means they can't gain on you.

I have yet to test this for myself.