Sign in to follow this  
Primeaux

Admins Charging cash for items

How about they fix the game to the point where it's semi-playable in an effective environment before we think about further monetizing it?

I would love to see them add more cosmetics after they improve the playability of the game, maybe even for cash, but the discussion is fairly premature as it stands now. We just dropped a pretty good bundle of cash in the company (collectively as a community), I'd like to see what they do with it before discussing how much more we should give them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Primeaux said:

Lol its not them asking for the cash,  its private server admins

You should have clarified this key point better both in your thread title and Op.

Private server owners can do as they like. If you don’t like the way they run their servers don’t play there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I see no problem with it.  But, it depends on how much and what is given.  I would not want to play on a server that is straight pay to win, but, I wouldn't want to play on a server that disappears because the bill didn't get paid.  So, for instance, maybe they get a schooner with no cannons or ammo.  Just the shell and decks.  It's not OP, but it is a reward.  If I don't pay, I should be happy that he did, and he deserves a reward for providing a place for me to play.

I think there should be a sliding scale,with multiple options at each level of donation.  And it should be things that enhance the person's game, without making them the alpha with what they are given.  No Brigantines, and no Galleons.  No big cannons, etc...No OP tames.   Something that could work is to get a set number of stone structures...or the resources to make those.  All you are doing is getting more defense, but no offense out of it.

Maybe even very good treasure maps could be spawned, and given to the person.  You still have to go do it.   I think that's up to each server owner and his admins.  I just don't see anything wrong with the people who help keep the server up, getting a reward to do so.  Everything should be public, however.  Who paid, how much they paid, and what they earned for it.  This keeps server admins from trying to make money off the server, by taking in more donations than are needed, and not being honest that there is a surplus for future server bills.

8 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You should have clarified this key point better both in your thread title and Op.

Private server owners can do as they like. If you don’t like the way they run their servers don’t play there.

This.

Those who pay deserve something for paying your way in the game, if you are also playing on that server.  The owner just needs to keep it balanced in some way, or make sure the stuff is not too OP.  Either way, nobody is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to play on that server.

No admins can't do whatever they want, there is rules applied to who ever use a piece of code, there is one for using the client, one for using the server codes. If you start selling items in game on your private but the dev forbid it, they can sue you. If you are lenient like Notch was with the minecraft community and one day wake up and and realize admins make a fuck tone more money than you making the game; because they are greedy as fuck and use a pay to win system while you sell the game 20$, well anyone can see what happened there.

Why are you playing on a private server? Are you too weak to compete? They can take advantage of you all you want you are at their mercy. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OogaBooga said:

Why are you playing on a private server? Are you too weak to compete? They can take advantage of you all you want you are at their mercy. 

I've seen better action on private servers than on official.  Most of these have rules on how to PvP, that make the PvP actually PvP.  Too many people delude themselves into thinking they actually accomplished something when they raid an undefended base.  Truth is, that is NOT pvp.  You get a better challenge from a good, professionally designed level in a single player game.  Bases in ARK were not hard to raid when the owners were offline.  It was simply a process.  Not even a hard process.  Got beer, flak, shield and C4?  Got Stegos?  Easy peasy.  It's a simple process everyone knew, thanks to Youtube and Twitch.

ORP, and rules that force you to actually PvP, if you want to PvP...that's a real challenge.  Especially because the tribes tended to be smaller, and thus roughly the same size.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I've seen better action on private servers than on official.  Most of these have rules on how to PvP, that make the PvP actually PvP.  Too many people delude themselves into thinking they actually accomplished something when they raid an undefended base.  Truth is, that is NOT pvp.  You get a better challenge from a good, professionally designed level in a single player game.  Bases in ARK were not hard to raid when the owners were offline.  It was simply a process.  Not even a hard process.  Got beer, flak, shield and C4?  Got Stegos?  Easy peasy.  It's a simple process everyone knew, thanks to Youtube and Twitch.

ORP, and rules that force you to actually PvP, if you want to PvP...that's a real challenge.  Especially because the tribes tended to be smaller, and thus roughly the same size.

Haha you're a pepega

Edited by OogaBooga

Just now, OogaBooga said:

Haha you're a pedega 

Speak English.  Are you one of those kids you deludes themselves into thinking that attacking AI...easily bypassed AI, is actually PvP?  smh

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Speak English.  Are you one of those kids you deludes themselves into thinking that attacking AI...easily bypassed AI, is actually PvP?  smh

Hahaha no I am a Ugandan Navy Seal. You do not even know that you are such a pepega. 

Meh, don't play on that unofficial server if you disagree with what the admin of it wants to do.

I can see why they are doing it though, because of the absolutely atrocious server costs at the moment. 

There are unofficial servers that do not practice that, I suggest changing.

Edited by Jasper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OogaBooga said:

Hahaha no I am a Ugandan Navy Seal. You do not even know that you are such a pepega

Ugandan Navy Seal...now that's a real accomplishment.  LOL

But, by your description, you are pepega.  You have zero debating skills, so you resort to ad hominem, which is the ammunition of those who have no valid argument.

It doesn't speak highly of Ugandan Seals if you think attacking an undefended base is a real challenge.  But I don't think Ugandan Seals are actually in the top 100 respected fighting forces...if they even exist, and even if they do, I highly doubt you are one.  Likely a kid in mom's basement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Uganda will come for you

• Haha 1

paid for a demo of the game with 50 passive players? Oo wtf man? the essence of the game lies in the conquest / survival of the small crews facing the superpower that counts 400 or 500 members / diplomacy and other things that only happens because there is a lot of players and not asser places for all

6 minutes ago, Jasper said:

I can see why they are doing it though, because of the absolutely atrocious server costs at the moment. 

Yes, the 3x3 we play on, has a bill of around $200 per month.  The ARK cluster we are on has 5 ARKs, and is around 60 per month.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Yes, the 3x3 we play on, has a bill of around $200 per month.  The ARK cluster we are on has 5 ARKs, and is around 60 per month.

You play on a private server to hide from Uganda?

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Yup, I don't see WHY the costs are so outrageously high other than they just want that 🤑

The amount of players per server + the amount of servers needed is pretty terrible. I just have to wonder if it's sustainable in the long run. How long until people get tired of shelling out that kind of money for a server.

8 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Yup, I don't see WHY the costs are so outrageously high other than they just want that 🤑

The amount of players per server + the amount of servers needed is pretty terrible. I just have to wonder if it's sustainable in the long run. How long until people get tired of shelling out that kind of money for a server.

I'm close to demanding a refund also.  I want to give them time, but they just keep going in the wrong direction.  Now, they want to nerf the already weak bow and arrow.  It's like they don't understand what's wrong with their game.  I am just about done with it.  Going to start looking for a new game to play.  I have not bought it yet, but friends suggest RDR2, since I love a good single player with a good story.

2 hours ago, ExplodingYeti said:

No admins can't do whatever they want, there is rules applied to who ever use a piece of code, there is one for using the client, one for using the server codes. If you start selling items in game on your private but the dev forbid it, they can sue you.

Bollocks.  They pay for the server, players are guests there and nobody makes people play on it or stay on it.  Ark does nothing about it because THEY aren't running the private servers and it's none of their affair.  Personally I think a PRIVATE Admin can do what they like, when they like, how they like, and people can vote with their feet.

• Like 2

I sell islands discover notes ect on mine players like it they choose there island name it place it where they want it so they increase the map size as long as u are clear they can be booted off there island at any point it seems to be pretty good so far they like it 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, Primeaux said:

What do you guys think, should they do it.  I have seen some that do

What fool would pay for items in a game?  ah, never mind