NZScruffy

Please fix overweight griefing boats

Is overweight exploit in pve breaking your game?   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is overweight exploit in pve breaking your game?

• Yes, I don't want to, and cannot play with this.
    • No, maybe it's a problem, but I can still play the game

4 hours ago, Psykonalle said:

Elaborate.

3 hours ago, NZScruffy said:

By exploit I am assuming the poster means carrying 1,000,000 weight of resource onto your sloop, then sail it away somewhere to base.

^ this

10 minutes ago, Psykonalle said:

I had not read your future posts only the quote 😛  Too many edge cases if you ask me, but probably doable. Why bother with the extra processing and verification tho? Just don't allow ships to take damage from being over weight and encumber them. If the changes to Sails/Wind prevent this then revert them! People need to learn to sail in a game about boats.

Edited by Nari

Easy soloution, 

8 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

They are increasing the weight they can carry by 40%...  It's not a perfect fix but it will help. Maybe they limited how much a player could pick up and carry around? i.e... "body bag"

Pretty much this i think. once you hit max weight, you can no longer pick anything up. I see no purpose why it's uncapped after that anyway, unless i'm missing something?

They just need to make anchored ships not taking damage when overloaded, thats it. No unnecessary edge cases. 

About random rafts anchored all over the place - lawless islands should allow beds, rafts should decay even when anchored. I don't have a freaking place to place a dry dock anywhere because of rafts. 
And rafts should be "pushable" after sometime even when anchored. 

People can just f* with you and park a shitty raft in front OR even in the dock and then a 200 wood raft can block exit for a 125k wood galleon.

Edit: IMO rafts should decay faster even when not anchored in a "friendly" claim, that would help a lot with clearing coastlines on lawless. 

Note that I playing on PvE and I am currently sticking to lawless until claim system is fixed.

Edited by IcyAxe

I don't like it but after thinking about it I do think it's necessary to keep in the game because if you cannot sink boats you'll end up with griefers just blocking your stuff with invincible boats in PvE, which I think is worse. The changes to require more weight and reducing the costs of boats are good steps forward. The real solution is to make it such a pain in the ass to grief with it that it's just not worth it.

You can also build big roofed structures to store your boats (PITA but it works) and for larger boats you can anchor far away from shore to make it more inconvenient.

7 minutes ago, Paradigm said:

I don't like it but after thinking about it I do think it's necessary to keep in the game because if you cannot sink boats you'll end up with griefers just blocking your stuff with invincible boats in PvE, which I think is worse. The changes to require more weight and reducing the costs of boats are good steps forward. The real solution is to make it such a pain in the ass to grief with it that it's just not worth it.

You can also build big roofed structures to store your boats (PITA but it works) and for larger boats you can anchor far away from shore to make it more inconvenient.

I think a more realistic answer would be an admin for the PvE servers that you can report such things to.

A couple 24 hour bans would start getting the point across.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

I think a more realistic answer would be an admin for the PvE servers that you can report such things to.

A couple 24 hour bans would start getting the point across.

Griefing is annoying and assholish, not bannable.

• Confused 1

I like the idea of just disabling the ship from moving when wheight and/or crew size exceeds it's maximum. Sure people can grief you in some other ways, but as long my ship isn't sunk to the bottom of the sea overnight I can deal with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paradigm said:

Griefing is annoying and assholish, not bannable.

Anything is bannable if it's against rules made by an admin...

2 minutes ago, Grimgor said:

I like the idea of just disabling the ship from moving when wheight and/or crew size exceeds it's maximum. Sure people can grief you in some other ways, but as long my ship isn't sunk to the bottom of the sea overnight I can deal with it.

Agreed

• Thanks 1

This is a huge problem for us as well. We have lost several ships because of 2 different exploits:

1. Players loading our ship up to make it overweight till it sinks while we are offline.

2. Too many players/npc's getting on our ship while we our offline going over the accommodations limit till we sink.

This issue needs to be addressed asap. We want to play this game but we aren't going to keep putting several hours into building the same ships over and over just to have them destroyed immediately.

Yes this needs to be fixed.  My suggestion:

1. Remove the DAMAGE by over weighted ships. simply make them immobile when overweight as any other mount/person is.

2. Make it so that players can kick off/ pick up and drop off any non company player that is on their ships (prevents griefing of loading peoples ships down so they cant move)

3. Implement a decay timer, so when a ship enters an EXISTING, non friendly claim area, the owners can claim/scuttle the ship after it has been there for so long.  This will allow land owners to keep their beaches clean and prevent people from blocking shipyards etc with invincible ships.

If they did these three things, then people would be unable to exploit extra ship carry weight via  non company passengers, as well as mitigate or prevent ship sinking griefing or the ship blocking griefing that would arise from invincible ships.

Edited by Traven Guthrie
edited to clarify
  • Like 1

yes thats an big problem with this exploit on pve fix it fast or the players gone

"No, maybe it's a problem, but I can still play the game"  the users who vote here are for me who enjoy this exploit nd lso use it to destroy the game experience

3 hours ago, Marcelito said:

yes thats an big problem with this exploit on pve fix it fast or the players gone

"No, maybe it's a problem, but I can still play the game"  the users who vote here are for me who enjoy this exploit nd lso use it to destroy the game experience

Or...  Those of us that selected that are building houses and screwing off waiting for the fix. It's a problem but I can still play the game...  Just like it says.  The game is still playable just not everything works currently. There are other features that don't work right now, like the tarot tree, but the game is still playable.

1 hour ago, MindOfMadness said:

Or...  Those of us that selected that are building houses and screwing off waiting for the fix. It's a problem but I can still play the game...  Just like it says.  The game is still playable just not everything works currently. There are other features that don't work right now, like the tarot tree, but the game is still playable.

So basically those of you which are playing 50% of the game right? If you want to build houses and stuff then why not play ARK? 

People that bought atlas did it for the sailing/ships, not for a minecraft simulator.

1 hour ago, Taerarenai said:

So basically those of you which are playing 50% of the game right? If you want to build houses and stuff then why not play ARK? 

People that bought atlas did it for the sailing/ships, not for a minecraft simulator.

Because they're sinking boats...  I don't expect 100% of content from EA games. I'm choosing to still get value out of the game I paid for and when they get around to fixing the boats I'll start sailing again.  People bought Atlas because they wanted to. You are some kind of special if you think you can dictate why someone should want to play a game...  If I want I can choose to never build a ship and fill an island with two by two huts... You don't get to tell people how they can or should play.

I guess you can keep farming for boats, that's your choice, not a smart choice, still yours to make.  But to claim the game is unplayable is laughable at best.

• Like 1

People are quitting because of this.  It needs to be addressed ASAP.  This is pretty much the last major game breaking thing that PVE is facing.  You'll never see people start advancing into the end game if anyone can climb on to their ship and crush it without you being able to do anything about it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MindOfMadness said:

Because they're sinking boats...  I don't expect 100% of content from EA games. I'm choosing to still get value out of the game I paid for and when they get around to fixing the boats I'll start sailing again.  People bought Atlas because they wanted to. You are some kind of special if you think you can dictate why someone should want to play a game...  If I want I can choose to never build a ship and fill an island with two by two huts... You don't get to tell people how they can or should play.

I guess you can keep farming for boats, that's your choice, not a smart choice, still yours to make.  But to claim the game is unplayable is laughable at best.

You're either too much of a fanboy to think for yourself or there's something wrong going on there.

I'm not dictating anything, i'm just telling you that sailing was this games main selling point (they advertised this game as "better than sea of thieves", which kinda proves my point). Most people bought this game for the sailing, for the exploration, for the so called adventure. Given the fact that your boat can go boom in a second...there's no sailing, there's no exploration (guess what, the game pretty much TELLS you to go explore islands). 

Nobody says an EA game should be without bugs, but hell man, they must've seen the videos already, its been more than a week since videos surfaced on youtube with people exploiting the game hard with this bug..

Keep defending the game if you want (i'm assuming you're trying to justify your purchase), but dont speak without arguments. My point is simple :

I didnt pay for half a game (I'm not expecting everything done 100%, but at least the content thats in the game, not less than 50%), i didnt pay to get griefed on fucking PVE where i cant do anything about it and i surely didnt pay to waste my time.

Also...how can i go build a base when i have no means of traveling ? I build a boat, i sail to an island, go check for unclaimed/abandoned claims, in the meanwhile they sink my boat -> im back at spawn. How is a player that didnt try to reconnect 1000 times at launch going to find a place without being able to move from one island to another?

Like everybody else said. This is a game breaking exploit and people are leaving (some already gave up since devs don't say anything). If you want to play a so called "MMO" with about 500 people instead of the promised (and fake advertising) of 40k, be my guest. They lied through their teeth and they are not even paying attention to the community. 

The temporary fix would be incredibly simple -> remove sinking while overweight, just make it so the ship doesnt move. Boom, done. Fix it properly later, but the game breaking issue is gone. 

the easiest and simplest fix for all of this is to have two changes.

1. Boats over weight or crew limits don't move.

2. Any boat left in "unfriendly" territory, ie anywhere you cannot place a foundation starts a 8 hour countdown after which the boat is auto claimed by the tribe holding the land. This timer does not decay for one month to stop people from sailing out and in again.

You're either too much of a fanboy to think for yourself or there's something wrong going on there.

I'm not dictating anything, i'm just telling you that sailing was this games main selling point (they advertised this game as "better than sea of thieves", which kinda proves my point). Most people bought this game for the sailing, for the exploration, for the so called adventure. Given the fact that your boat can go boom in a second...there's no sailing, there's no exploration (guess what, the game pretty much TELLS you to go explore islands). 

Nobody says an EA game should be without bugs, but hell man, they must've seen the videos already, its been more than a week since videos surfaced on youtube with people exploiting the game hard with this bug..

Keep defending the game if you want (i'm assuming you're trying to justify your purchase), but dont speak without arguments. My point is simple :

I didnt pay for half a game (I'm not expecting everything done 100%, but at least the content thats in the game, not less than 50%), i didnt pay to get griefed on fucking PVE where i cant do anything about it and i surely didnt pay to waste my time.

Also...how can i go build a base when i have no means of traveling ? I build a boat, i sail to an island, go check for unclaimed/abandoned claims, in the meanwhile they sink my boat -> im back at spawn. How is a player that didnt try to reconnect 1000 times at launch going to find a place without being able to move from one island to another?

Like everybody else said. This is a game breaking exploit and people are leaving (some already gave up since devs don't say anything). If you want to play a so called "MMO" with about 500 people instead of the promised (and fake advertising) of 40k, be my guest. They lied through their teeth and they are not even paying attention to the community. 

The temporary fix would be incredibly simple -> remove sinking while overweight, just make it so the ship doesnt move. Boom, done. Fix it properly later, but the game breaking issue is gone. 

Reread your post...  You did in fact try to tell me why people bought the game and how I should play...

• You did pay for half a game, it's early access and is labeled as such.

857748958_steamea.png.8156ad15737e2b02212c17d09748ef81.png

• You can (could have before 10.0 patch) build a base by spawning in the lawless zone and building a base...

I know super hard to understand so far, right?

• Not like everybody else said...  Yes, 50 of you are melodramatic but it wasn't "everybody else" and the game is holding solid at just under 50k players.

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

• Just because you're crying here doesn't make it unplayable for 48,000 people.

Suck it up buttercup, you're wrong. Deal with it and move on.

giphy.gif.fb05a5c7898515e47587de7e08b01dd2.gif.ed34474ba03b6c696898dee005d2d402.gif

@Taerarenai

Edited by MindOfMadness

@MindOfMadness Thanks for proving my point (that you are a kiddie fanboy). You literally have no idea how to read a reply without getting triggered, so this is my last one.

The game advertises sailing -> sailing is broken. End of story.

You wanna build houses in lawless? Yea, good luck with that.

The game is EA? Yep, but dont advertise sailing and have it in-game just to be broken. Even their twitch is "sailtheatlas". 

If you think such a practice is fine then have fun. People like you are the reason why developers don't give a fuck about quality anymore.

Edit: Thanks for posting the steamchart btw, you're literally proving my point that players ARE LEAVING. Check that chart of yours again and see that the numbers are going down :).

Edited by Taerarenai

On 1/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, Pirate Hawkins said:

containers on any raft/ship should only allow owners/companies to put items in them, that would help a lot on sinking by others 

they are also  doing it now without needing access to anything, exploiting the carry weight limits

32 minutes ago, Taerarenai said:

@MindOfMadness Thanks for proving my point (that you are a kiddie fanboy). You literally have no idea how to read a reply without getting triggered, so this is my last one.

The game is EA? Yep, but dont advertise sailing and have it in-game just to be broken. Even their twitch is "sailtheatlas". 

If you think such a practice is fine then have fun. People like you are the reason why developers don't give a fuck about quality anymore.

Edit: Thanks for posting the steamchart btw, you're literally proving my point that players ARE LEAVING. Check that chart of yours again and see that the numbers are going down :).

Because actually showing proof that you're wrong is being a fan boy... 

Do you even understand how to read the Steamchart? they've been holding at 48k...  mouse over all the peaks and show me where exactly the are loosing mass players?

Atlas2.png.0f5d2d217612aeca4ec92f77196d2d0a.png

3.47% is far from mass or enough to make a difference and proves the majority (96.53%) likes the game.

It's not hard to believe there's 1365 crying children that rage quit because they don't get what they want when they want it... BOO HOO... Grow up and accept it.

Kids today SMFH

55 minutes ago, Taerarenai said:

What practices? You're going on like they released knowing that players were going to find exploits and mess with people, could they have planned for it? Sure. i think they should have done a month stress test, but they didn't and that's down to just poor planning not they're trying to "they don't care" . I'm always against companies screwing over players, but this is a case of players taking responsibility for buying an EA title. This isn't a released game, they said it won't be for 2 years.

for a company that doesn't give a crap they sure seem to be patching this game none-stop, we've had 20+ patches since Christmas and no i'ts not that those take priority it's more a case of some fixes take longer than others.

Overall you're complaining an EA is playing like an EA, if you wanted a quality game wait 2 years when It actually released, don't buy an EA title. Simple.

Edited by Herasea
  • Like 1

This is what needs fixed --

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/forums/topic/25209-fix-asap/