Sign in to follow this  
Aviate

Bow Nerf is going to hit too hard for PvE.

I'm a mostly solo player. I just have a hard time trusting people and I do a lot of work in these games. The two friends I usually game with are just.. well, absent a lot anymore, it's whatever. That said, the upcoming Bow Durability and Fire Arrow nerf is like getting kicked twice for the same thing, but different at the same time. I've yet to be able to really utilize the Fire Arrows in PvE (Saps aren't in my region, sadly), but did a SERIOUS sap run to a neighboring region last night to get some so I could try out fire arrows. I understand why you'd want them nerfed in PvP, after some of the videos I've seen(so the 33% nerf I mostly understand, though it feels steep), but for PvE I feel like they would be of great help.

Now, PvE is where the issue with the durability only being able to withstand 40 arrows is going to become a problem for me. My region is like a Snake/Tiger/Lion spawning ground, I mean these things go at it harder than real life rabbits do, so 40 arrows do not last very long for me. I literally had a spawn of 8 Giant Snakes, 3 Tigers, and 2 Lions swarm to my drydock out of nowhere earlier today. And I don't know anyone who would try kidding themselves into believing that Melee is even an option in a situation like that. I have 3 tigers tamed and I wouldn't even have dared to set them loose into that mess because every single one of them would have died. It takes roughly 40 arrows just to kill 4~5 snakes/tigers/lions without getting headshots, which deal 87 on a snake, and 105 on a tiger (though it's like RNG on one, even straight in the eye doesn't go above like 35). Take out headshots and it's mostly shots dealing 21~35 damage roughly. It sucks! 

Pistols could be an option, but the skill tree pathing for them is HORRENDOUS, it takes so many points! Now.... maybe that will not be such a big issue come Monday's patch though.. Hmmm..

Anyways, that's my rant. I just hope you don't keep this nerf, as just based purely on how bow plays now, it feels like it's going to be incredibly difficult to survive in PvE.

• Like 1

Depends how many points they give per level. But doesn't nerfing bows and indirectly buffing pistols by making them aviaible quicker make them as useless as some of other skill trees?

3 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Depends how many points they give per level. But doesn't nerfing bows and indirectly buffing pistols by making them aviaible quicker make them as useless as some of other skill trees?

Pretty much.

24 minutes ago, Aviate said:

I'm a mostly solo player. I just have a hard time trusting people and I do a lot of work in these games. The two friends I usually game with are just.. well, absent a lot anymore, it's whatever. That said, the upcoming Bow Durability and Fire Arrow nerf is like getting kicked twice for the same thing, but different at the same time. I've yet to be able to really utilize the Fire Arrows in PvE (Saps aren't in my region, sadly), but did a SERIOUS sap run to a neighboring region last night to get some so I could try out fire arrows. I understand why you'd want them nerfed in PvP, after some of the videos I've seen(so the 33% nerf I mostly understand, though it feels steep), but for PvE I feel like they would be of great help.

Now, PvE is where the issue with the durability only being able to withstand 40 arrows is going to become a problem for me. My region is like a Snake/Tiger/Lion spawning ground, I mean these things go at it harder than real life rabbits do, so 40 arrows do not last very long for me. I literally had a spawn of 8 Giant Snakes, 3 Tigers, and 2 Lions swarm to my drydock out of nowhere earlier today. And I don't know anyone who would try kidding themselves into believing that Melee is even an option in a situation like that. I have 3 tigers tamed and I wouldn't even have dared to set them loose into that mess because every single one of them would have died. It takes roughly 40 arrows just to kill 4~5 snakes/tigers/lions without getting headshots, which deal 87 on a snake, and 105 on a tiger (though it's like RNG on one, even straight in the eye doesn't go above like 35). Take out headshots and it's mostly shots dealing 21~35 damage roughly. It sucks! 

Pistols could be an option, but the skill tree pathing for them is HORRENDOUS, it takes so many points! Now.... maybe that will not be such a big issue come Monday's patch though.. Hmmm..

Anyways, that's my rant. I just hope you don't keep this nerf, as just based purely on how bow plays now, it feels like it's going to be incredibly difficult to survive in PvE.

I use bow a lot and I agree 40 shots seems a little low till repair. However most giant snakes wolves and lions take about 3 to 5 arrows so doesn't seem so bad. I would definitely get a pistol makes survival alot easier , nothing like wipping out ur pistol and 1 shotting a wolf to the face. As for fire arrows they are a bit over powered I usually kill alphas with them in 1 to 3 shots just let them burn before reshooting them.

Edited by Hackjob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

You need quite a few more shots to kill wild animals with a bow if half the shots don't register. I've spent at least an hour over the past two days doing corpse runs while repeatedly dying to and being spawncamped by tigers, lions or giants snakes. Before my most recent initial death, I was fighting a low level tiger that had probably 5 arrows sticking out of it, yet had only registered 1 instance of damage. This lack of hit reg along with the extremely low FPS in outdoor areas makes fighting (let alone taming) these animals near impossible. I have a powerful PC, so unless I'm missing some trick that I can perform with the settings or with config files I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

• Like 1

You misread the patch notes. Durability is reduced from 50 to 40 and durability is only affected by Piercing Shot.

Nvm I misread the patch notes... ouch this sucks

Edited by Nari
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nari said:

You misread the patch notes. Durability is reduced from 50 to 40 and durability is only affected by Piercing Shot.

Read the line about stone and fire arrows using 1 durability per shot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nari said:

- Added durability consumption to flame and stone arrows (1 dura per shot, 40 shots per bow repair).

It is pretty standard Wildcard logic.

Implement Armor.

Make Armor literal god mode.

Nerf the only thing that can kill it into the ground (Flame arrows/bow)

I mean, I know Firearms are getting a buff so they aren't absolute garbage on monday, but this bow nerf should be re-evaluated because it outright makes the bow useless in PvP, and chokes PvE a good bunch. 

• Like 2

Play on an unofficial server where the owner is smart enough to undo this madness.  The bow should not be nerfed.  It's already nerfed.  It needed a boost, not a nerf.  We are looking at doing our own server, and I assure you that even if it takes a mod, we will have bows, and maybe even crossbows, that do realistic damage, meaning as much as a pistol.  I will also look for a mod that removes the absurd minigame for the loading of pistols, and all weapons.  This of course will remove those options from the skill tree.  For me, those things remind me this is a game.  Too arcadey.   I want a realistic feeling battle, not one that forces me to place some weird minigame while fighting.

I also expect somebody to make a mod that makes the skill tree make sense.

Like, for instance, the first skill allows you to make and use pistols at a basic level.  Then they split with one side dedicated to improved usage, and the other side to improved crafting.

I would expect that you will no longer have to go deep into one tree to unlock each skill tree.  Being a Mariner has nothing to do with boat building. 

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

Yeah people like me who love the skill cap of a bow, this is hit in the face. It makes it even harder to go for solo treasure hunts that were so much fun before, with minimal repairing. Do i really have to start carrying a pistol with me now on?

2 minutes ago, Max said:

Yeah people like me who love the skill cap of a bow, this is hit in the face. It makes it even harder to go for solo treasure hunts that were so much fun before, with minimal repairing. Do i really have to start carrying a pistol with me now on?

i carry 6 and a blunderbuss