Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Failmore

aged over 20 years in 340 days

It's a hard life at sea, matey!

Seriously though, not a fan of the proposed aging mechanic.  Maybe The Sims: Piracy.

45 minutes ago, Lord_Failmore said:

this seems a bit off

This is not earth . Our years based off our planet's rotation around the sun. Who knows how many days are in a year in this world 😃

Edited by Hackjob

In what way is it immersive to become old in the space of a month real-time?

How can you make a "pirate legend" in a month? Then your character dies and you have to replace them. OR you have to look old when you might not want an old looking character.

Stuff like this should ALWAYS be optional. Why? Because it makes no difference in PVP. It literally adds nothing to the gameplay, it is all cosmetic fluff. Cosmetic fluff that makes the cosmetic side of the game LESS optional.

I won't stick around this game long if they don't make this optional for two reason :

1. I don't want my character to look a way I do not want them to look.

2. I don't want to be constantly changing characters over and over.

I get it, the devs probably heard of that other survival MMO that added aging (chronicles of Elyria), and it garnered some attention. But many of us do NOT like mechanics like this. If i'm not mistaken, that game actually added a race that doesn't age for people who don't like that.

For comparison, lets say every movie of the pirates of the Caribbean you swapped Jack Sparrow out for Jack Sparrow's next descendant. And they had the same personality as Jack Sparrow; you get the idea.. It would be pretty dumb. That is essentially what it feels like playing atlas right now.

Either you want your character to look old, or you want your character to look young, and you only get to enjoy them that way for a short time before they have to either die, or get older in a couple of days. This is idiotic. Why have a character creator, if I can't even look the way I want anyway? It is utterly pointless.

Just remove age altogether, and let us make our pirate legends. Or ATLEAST let us turn it off.

Edited by Adfax
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adfax said:

n what way is it immersive to become old in the space of a month real-time?

In the same way as resurrecting from death is immersive?

3 minutes ago, Adfax said:

How often do you actually see your own character, other than when you're looting your body?  Or how often do other people even notice what your character looks like?  Not very often.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't even do anything yet.  As evident in the patch notes, they are constantly tweaking and refining values, so I wouldn't be surprised if age got some tweaks when it's properly implemented though.  I can't imagine they'd force us to re-roll every few weeks (or at least I hope not!)

5 minutes ago, Domino said:

In the same way as resurrecting from death is immersive?

How often do you actually see your own character, other than when you're looting your body?  Or how often do other people even notice what your character looks like?  Not very often.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't even do anything yet.  As evident in the patch notes, they are constantly tweaking and refining values, so I wouldn't be surprised if age got some tweaks when it's properly implemented though.  I can't imagine they'd force us to re-roll every few weeks (or at least I hope not!)

It doesn't matter how often I see it, it is how other people see it that matters.

Like, why wear stylish clothes if you never really get to look at yourself wearing them? It is exactly the same thing.

Right, but I assume they plan on adding hardcore servers down the line for permanent death. But aside from that, we need to resurrect because this is a videogame. So of course you have to suspend your disbelief for some things; but it shouldn't be for cosmetic fluff like an aging mechanic nobody really wants, and the game would be better without. It just makes the cosmetic side of the game LESS optional, and so makes the game as a whole LESS because of it.

Like, if age added something gameplay wise, maybe I could understand wanting to keep it. But right now? It just divides they playbase into people who don't care about cosmetic stuff, and people who do. People who don't care about cosmetic stuff won't care either way, and people who do will just be annoyed their character looks wrong.

Edited by Adfax

1 minute ago, Adfax said:

It doesn't matter how often I see it, it is how other people see it that matters.

K, let me rephrase it: how often do you actually pay attention to what another person looks like?  Likely, not very often.  I play with a small group of people every day and I couldn't even begin to tell you what they look like, other than the fact one guy has dreadlocks because I cut his hair.  Chances are, no one is paying your facial features any attention whatsoever.

I assumed the aging wasn't even fully implemented yet.  If it is and my character appears to be aging, I haven't even noticed.

And who knows, maybe the rest of the systems that go with it (like needing offspring, I've heard?) actually introduces some cool new stuff we don't even know about yet.  There's little point in getting worked up over something that isn't even functioning fully in the game yet.

K, let me rephrase it: how often do you actually pay attention to what another person looks like?  Likely, not very often.  I play with a small group of people every day and I couldn't even begin to tell you what they look like, other than the fact one guy has dreadlocks because I cut his hair.  Chances are, no one is paying your facial features any attention whatsoever.

I assumed the aging wasn't even fully implemented yet.  If it is and my character appears to be aging, I haven't even noticed.

And who knows, maybe the rest of the systems that go with it (like needing offspring, I've heard?) actually introduces some cool new stuff we don't even know about yet.  There's little point in getting worked up over something that isn't even functioning fully in the game yet.

I notice it often. But what you're talking about is different person to person. Something you clearly don't pay attention to, others might.

Just like how you might not notice the fashionable jeans someone might be wearing, another might make note. It is the same thing.

There is nothing cool about constantly having to remake characters for an arbitrary mechanic, and replace the one i'm currently using. It is just pointless hassle.

They had it right in Ark by making everyone ageless. If we want old looking characters, just give us the option in the creator and be done with it.

Edited by Adfax

8 minutes ago, Adfax said:

They had it right in Ark by making everyone ageless.

This statement, when talking about character appearances, is just wrong on so many levels for Ark.  They look like neanderthals!  Haha

Most of the rest of your post is very true though... different strokes for different folks.  I won't lie, I also spend probably too much time in the character creation screen, but after that, I never really notice myself, nor anyone else.  I assumed no one else noticed my characters looks, but maybe I'm wrong.  I guess there are some that pay attention to that.

10 minutes ago, Adfax said:

There is nothing cool about constantly having to remake characters for an arbitrary mechanic, and replace the one i'm currently using. It is just pointless hassle.

This we don't know yet though.  There might be a point to it.  Maybe each generation gets progressively stronger or some other advantage to encourage you to pass on your lineage?  Who knows at this point.  All I'm saying is don't get worked up about it before you even know what it does.  Quitting the game over it seems a bit exaggerated, especially since we don't even know what it does yet.

Disclaimer: if the final product is just dying and re-rolling for the heck of it, I wouldn't be particularly keen on that either.  BUT!  See my main point above: we still don't know what it will do so I'm holding off judgement

37 minutes ago, Adfax said:

For comparison, lets say every movie of the pirates of the Caribbean you swapped Jack Sparrow out for Jack Sparrow's next descendant. And they had the same personality as Jack Sparrow; you get the idea.. It would be pretty dumb. That is essentially what it feels like playing atlas right now.

In contrast, imagine if Jack Sparrow died at the end of every movie and came back to life on his bed at the beginning of every movie...

This statement, when talking about character appearances, is just wrong on so many levels for Ark.  They look like neanderthals!  Haha

Most of the rest of your post is very true though... different strokes for different folks.  I won't lie, I also spend probably too much time in the character creation screen, but after that, I never really notice myself, nor anyone else.  I assumed no one else noticed my characters looks, but maybe I'm wrong.  I guess there are some that pay attention to that.

This we don't know yet though.  There might be a point to it.  Maybe each generation gets progressively stronger or some other advantage to encourage you to pass on your lineage?  Who knows at this point.  All I'm saying is don't get worked up about it before you even know what it does.  Quitting the game over it seems a bit exaggerated, especially since we don't even know what it does yet.

Disclaimer: if the final product is just dying and re-rolling for the heck of it, I wouldn't be particularly keen on that either.  BUT!  See my main point above: we still don't know what it will do so I'm holding off judgement

In contrast, imagine if Jack Sparrow died at the end of every movie and came back to life on his bed at the beginning of every movie...

Has anyone ever heard of blackbeard's kids? Does anyone know what they did? No. Because a legend is ONE person, not a lineage.

It just doesn't fit with a pirate game.. It is such a crowbar mechanic that they've only put in because they heard chronicles of Elyria is doing the same.

And I can almost guarantee it will just be dying and rerolling.

Also, you can look at your character by pressing "K" and rotating the cam.

Edited by Adfax

5 minutes ago, Adfax said:

Has anyone ever heard of blackbeard's kids? Does anyone know what they did? No. Because a legend is ONE person, not a lineage.

It just doesn't fit with a pirate game.. It is such a crowbar mechanic that they've only put in because they heard chronicles of Elyria is doing the same.

And I can almost guarantee it will just be dying and rerolling.

Also, you can look at your character by pressing "K" and rotating the cam.

You have a good point about Blackbeard's kids, won't argue that one.  Either way, though, neither of us know in any way, shape or form what the developers have in mind for it.  It seems to me like you're just assuming the worst.  There are plenty of other posts of people assuming the worst, and yet recent patch notes have proven them wrong in many ways.  Therefore, I'm going to wait to pass judgement.  Assuming the worst in everything just leads to unnecessary stress.  But to each their own, I suppose.

Again, hopefully they do something cool with the mechanic to make it worthwhile, otherwise (as stated earlier) I won't be a big fan either.

1 hour ago, Adfax said:

I won't stick around this game long if they don't make this optional for two reason :

2. I don't want to be constantly changing characters over and over.

Given that they were very upfront about this mechanic being a key part of the game in interviews prior to EA launch and how it ties directly into the game’s lore, demanding that it goes or you will strikes me very much like buying a ticket to a sold out Led Zeppelin concert in the 70’s and then in the middle of Immigrant Song when everyone is thrashing around and otherworldly noises are coming out of Robert Plant’s mouth, turning to the person next to you and complaining about the noise, then going to security and insisting that if they don’t tone the racket down, you’re leaving.

If you do actually leave for the stated reasons, then by all means let me be the first to say...

Bye Felicia

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Given that they were very upfront about this mechanic being a key part of the game in interviews prior to EA launch and how it ties directly into the game’s lore, demanding that it goes or you will strikes me very much like buying a ticket to a sold out Led Zeppelin concert in the 70’s and then in the middle of Immigrant Song when everyone is thrashing around and otherworldly noises are coming out of Robert Plant’s mouth, turning to the person next to you and complaining about the noise, then going to security and insisting that if they don’t tone the racket down, you’re leaving.

If you do actually leave for the stated reasons, then by all means let me be the first to say...

Bye Felicia

LOL I had no idea where this post was going, and then it made me literally laugh out loud!

And I'm almost a fan of a well played "Bye Felicia"  ❤️

By the time I hit level 50 (currently 40) my character should be about 100 years old.

Looks like every month, you have to start from the beginning. How do you  ever max your level then.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Bye Felicia

Is that a meme? 

Memes are for people with no originality. Don't do memes.

Lastly : how on earth is aging KEY to the game?

What does it add gameplay wise other than cosmetically altering your character? Oh, and then you make a new character after that.. Great fun... Not. This is not gameplay. Not real gameplay. Creating your character is stuff you do before you play the game.

The core of the game is PIRATES. It is an MMO about pirates. Aging has little to do with pirates. Why? Because pirates don't live long enough to get old. As I've said in another thread, a pirate lifespan is around 3 years from the start of their career, if they're lucky.

Saying aging is key is just a complete misrepresentation. It is complete and utter fluff. A cheap gimic to make the game seem more impressive, when actually making it more limited. I can guarantee you, the ONLY reason they tried to crowbar it in is because of a game coming out called "chronicles or Elyria". That game isn't out yet, so maybe it works in that game.. But in Atlas? It is a complete failure, and renders the character creator mostly useless.

If this were a game about kings and queens and lineage, you know, something like bannerlord. THEN it might make sense. But pirates?.. No.

Edited by Adfax

Considering the mechanics aren't even in the game yet so no one has any idea how it will all work past what the devs vaguely stated you probably should wait to get all worked up about it.  

Breeding was a big thing in ark with the dino's.  It will be in this also. Looks like they are going to somehow work the breeding mechanics into players somehow or you use the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH if you don't want too.

Bam, solved your problem.

3 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Considering the mechanics aren't even in the game yet so no one has any idea how it will all work past what the devs vaguely stated you probably should wait to get all worked up about it.  

Breeding was a big thing in ark with the dino's.  It will be in this also. Looks like they are going to somehow work the breeding mechanics into players somehow or you use the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH if you don't want too.

Bam, solved your problem.

It doesn't solve the problem, because you'll have to keep looking for it over and over and over and over and over. That will be great fun...Suppose I take a break from the game, only to come back and find my character is dead because I didn't find the fountain. So it is gone forever.

What is already in the game is evidence as to how it will work; it is already annoying just as is. As far as breeding, that'll just make it more annoying.

• Like 1

Since no one knows any of the actual details at this point you are getting worked up over nothing.  For all you know it's as simple as clicking on an NPC, hitting breed, then playing your new character that looks however  you want it to look with the same stats and levels.

Or it might be complex as fuck. Who knows! None of us in this thread do and neither do you until it rolls out so no point worrying about it.

1 minute ago, mndfreeze said:

Since no one knows any of the actual details at this point you are getting worked up over nothing.  For all you know it's as simple as clicking on an NPC, hitting breed, then playing your new character that looks however  you want it to look with the same stats and levels.

Or it might be complex as fuck. Who knows! None of us in this thread do and neither do you until it rolls out so no point worrying about it.

Right, but i'm saying that having to switch characters is annoying. But even before that, the aging itself is just unnecessary fluff.

It just forces people who do care about cosmetics to play a character they don't like the look of.

Literally 2 weeks into early access.  2 years away from a final release date and 2 years away from being "feature complete"  Things are going to be broken, half or fully not implemented, buggy and broken until then.  If the cosmetic thing is such a huge issue for you then you probably should just take a break and wait until all the accompanying systems are in place.

It's annoying that things aren't balanced.  That servers are crashing and insane lag fests.  It's annoying that only 30% of the animals/creatures are in the game.  It's annoying that the tames we have now only partially work or can't breed.  It's annoying that people can just kill themselves to skirt the survival mechanics with no repercussions.  P.s. That last thing was listed as part of the reason for the aging system.  The more often you die, the older you get.  So this game may not be for you period if getting old is an issue.   

This is not a standard MMORPG (or an RPG at all, at least currently). So you need to set your expectations accordingly with what the devs have stated their vision is for the game or you will end up disappointed.  I'm sure once they implement the whole aging/death/child system the hyerbole will rise all over the forums and people will scream in rage and the devs will adjust it if its bad enough.  If not you will have to learn to live within the world they designed for you or not play the game.

1 minute ago, mndfreeze said:

Literally 2 weeks into early access.  2 years away from a final release date and 2 years away from being "feature complete"  Things are going to be broken, half or fully not implemented, buggy and broken until then.  If the cosmetic thing is such a huge issue for you then you probably should just take a break and wait until all the accompanying systems are in place.

It's annoying that things aren't balanced.  That servers are crashing and insane lag fests.  It's annoying that only 30% of the animals/creatures are in the game.  It's annoying that the tames we have now only partially work or can't breed.  It's annoying that people can just kill themselves to skirt the survival mechanics with no repercussions.  P.s. That last thing was listed as part of the reason for the aging system.  The more often you die, the older you get.  So this game may not be for you period if getting old is an issue.   

This is not a standard MMORPG (or an RPG at all, at least currently). So you need to set your expectations accordingly with what the devs have stated their vision is for the game or you will end up disappointed.  I'm sure once they implement the whole aging/death/child system the hyerbole will rise all over the forums and people will scream in rage and the devs will adjust it if its bad enough.  If not you will have to learn to live within the world they designed for you or not play the game.

Listen, if you want to talk about all that other stuff, go to the one of many other threads that cover it.

Don't come in here and tell me not to talk about stuff this thread is specifically here to discuss. You don't determine what is and isn't important to different people regarding the game, so don't assume that you do.

Edited by Adfax

You are missing the point.  You are being hyperbolic about systems that are not implemented and you have no idea how they are going to function and your logic/reason for why an intended game design mechanic should be disabled is because 'you dont want to look old'.   You don't want to use EITHER mechanic they are giving us to mitigate the age. You just don't want it at all.  Fuck those mechanics boys! 

That comes off as a bit entitled thinking an entire intended game mechanic should be tossed out for your cosmetic desires.  Just as it would be entitled if I made a post "Get rid of all the ships because I hate the ocean!"  You can talk about it all you want, just like I can respond about how silly it is at this point in time.  I *LIKE* the idea of aging. I think its a neat spin. I especially like that it will have CONSEQUENCES for people to try to skirt other mechanics. 

I also never once assumed what was important to you.  You made that pretty clear. It was 'fuck everyone else's take on this mechanic, do it my way and also fuck those options they gave me to mitigate said mechanic because doing stuff is annoying'

15 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

You are missing the point.  You are being hyperbolic about systems that are not implemented and you have no idea how they are going to function and your logic/reason for why an intended game design mechanic should be disabled is because 'you dont want to look old'.   You don't want to use EITHER mechanic they are giving us to mitigate the age. You just don't want it at all.  Fuck those mechanics boys! 

That comes off as a bit entitled thinking an entire intended game mechanic should be tossed out for your cosmetic desires.  Just as it would be entitled if I made a post "Get rid of all the ships because I hate the ocean!"  You can talk about it all you want, just like I can respond about how silly it is at this point in time.  I *LIKE* the idea of aging. I think its a neat spin. I especially like that it will have CONSEQUENCES for people to try to skirt other mechanics. 

I also never once assumed what was important to you.  You made that pretty clear. It was 'fuck everyone else's take on this mechanic, do it my way and also fuck those options they gave me to mitigate said mechanic because doing stuff is annoying'

No, i'm covering the systems that are already in the game, the aging; and then pointing out what they have planned to be bad. Saying that replacing your character, which is their intention, in any way, is pointless hassle. 

I'm not complaining about HOW it takes place, i'm complaining about the RESULT of the mechanic. I'm deeming it to be a waste of time, and annoying fluff.

It comes off as entitled to want to leave it in too, by your own logic. So don't try with the "entitled" trope.  That pathetic buzzword that people completely misunderstand.

Entitlement isn't when someone simply WANTS something, it is when someone thinks they deserve something. 

Me saying "I want this" is not entitled. So get your facts right before you misuse the word.

You want the age mechanic in, I do not. So we both want something, you're not on some moral high ground for wanting the thing opposed to me. It is just a difference of opinion.

I would prioritize having control over what my character looks like over a mechanic that would force my character to look a way I do not want them to look. You would rather prioritize a gimic that will likely make no significant difference to the gameplay, and will force us to replace our characters over and over. Or subject ourselves to endlessly hunting the fountain of youth.

Edited by Adfax