Sign in to follow this  
TrevorJD

Mobs, particularly Alphas are too strong, too fast and too common.

Alphas are the pre-nerf SotD of the land. At least you usually see the SotD and can make some evasive maneuvers. SotD are still found in packs but if the Lady shines on you, you can cross the ocean only dying of exposure. With an alpha, the first you know about it is the red text of your mount dying.

I believe the max tamable dino is a level 30. Alphas are frequently 250+. Does anyone else see a problem here, or is it just me?

They have massive damage resistance and hit not like a Mack truck but like the fist of an angry god. Two level 40+ wolves and a 35 bear (after being levelled a bit) were destroyed in less than 20 seconds. We were out looking for a particular resource. We were alert, wary and doing a great job of dealing with packs of wild animals, often dealing with 4-5 wolves, a giant snake and a tiger all at the same time. We were all at full health then suddenly the bear died. One bite. Someone yelled "Alpha!" and then my wolf died. The second wolf managed to run about 50m and she died.

A level 1 wolf is a formidable opponent to most players on foot but with some dancing and practice you can often survive one. Of course wolves are pack animals. So within another 60 seconds, all the players were dead, too. Lost all our gear. Couldn't get back to our corpses.

Once again I find myself wondering two things:

1. WTF were the devs thinking when they set these damage/spawn/resistance/frequency levels? There's nothing fun about this. Alphas are already buffed by virtue of being Alphas. The level disparity makes it utterly absurd!

2. WhyTF should I log back in? So I can spend more hours grinding the mats needed to replace my gear, just so it can be destroyed again an hour or two later? Why should we spend several more hours taming and levelling replacement wolves, then sailing to a place to where bears spawn, spending another 60-120 minutes taming it, a few more hours sailing it home (with a decent chance of being sunk at sea anyway) when I know that there's a very good chance I'll only get an hour's use from it before it gets destroyed in one bite by another alpha? I should point out that during those several hours of my absence, my crewmates have reported at least six more alphas attacking our base. We're not even in a particularly difficult zone.

I'm really finding it difficult to get motivated to keep playing.

• Like 9

OP is right.

The following is directed towards the devs:

I have 5,100 hours in Ark. Ask orionsun about me since you all worked with him, I've always been a show off about how easily that whole game could be soloed. And then I come and play Atlas.. And realize, nothing can be done without cheesing. You can't solo tame without cheesing, can't fight most of the creatures without cheesing, etc. At least in Ark, doing these same things felt "immersive" because the solutions were sensible, felt like what could be done in the situation if it was real.

Here.. Cram a door in an elephant's face. Stand on that high ledge and cope with the 70% hit registration issues. And hope to god that you are NEVER encountered by a predator while not near a high ledge with a grapple out and extensive time to actually wind it up. Any fight you win is going to be less about player skill (in fact, almost zero involvement) and almost entirely about where, when and how the fight started. You're born to lose them, and if you win them, it's because you got a lucky placement and not because you were given the tools, time or ability to plan or react in a way that allowed you to control the situation.

The hostile wildlife in this game needs to continue to undergo rebalancing, because it's pretty thoroughly broken almost all the way through.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Detestar said:

+1 to this

I see your +1 and raise it another.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jaxyl said:

I see your +1 and raise it another.

Teetering on if I should raise you +5 or just fold and find the nearest hammer and bash my hands in for even attempting to keep playing........

+5... but the hammer is still an option at this point....

• Thanks 1

Just now, SpeedInc said:

Teetering on if I should raise you +5 or just fold and find the nearest hammer and bash my hands in for even attempting to keep playing........

+5... but the hammer is still an option at this point....

Yes, the hammer is definitely an option. I'm playing on a private 3-grid server that I rented... Me and a buddy.. just the two of us... and usually, just me during the week. I can't effectively deal with the alphas without either cheesing or God Mode. Neither option I like but I want to play. I just want to disable ALL alpha spawns on my server and be done with it, but nobody seems to have a working solution for that. It would be really nice if it was a checkbox or Yes / No radio buttons labeled "Alpha Spawns?" on Nitrado's settings page.

• Thanks 1

I feel your pain.. Most people that are giving feedback about the state of the game (aka not the white knights) don't quite remember that not only is this stuff happening on official but rented servers... So there are people actively paying monthly for this game, in this state.. so this IS NOT A EA GAME!!!! Not to yell at you just stating the fact... stupid Alpha build passed off as a EA. HA!!! funny how Ark doesn't have these same errors... no one is sinking my rafts or motorboats! no one is taking my house after i log off for a few days.

I hope they step up their game for people who are hosting servers as they are the ones that will be keeping the game alive.

Nerf Crocodiles while they are in water please, they swim way too fast and they can kill NPc crew ( and players ) that are on the top of a ship

• Like 1

This looks like a good thread for me to vent my frustrations.

Look, I absolutely love Atlas. And I get it, Alphas are supposed to be mean green killing machines that are to be avoided at all costs. Fine. If I die to one I can usually get my materials back.

However, this is the second time I've been completely wiped out while safely staying inside my little hut. Sure, a wolf would bite a few times on your building to see if it can get inside, that's realistic. What is NOT realistic, or in any way fun for a game, is an Alpha Wolf being able to chew through your whole house, materials and all, in one single serving. WHY?!

There's absolutely nothing I can do. Run away hoping to lure him off your building? Nah, he doesn't care about you now, all he wants is to fill his belly with wood. Even if you manage to get him after you instead, once you're dead or out of reach he simply returns to his two ton wood dinner.

Suggestions:

• Decrease the damage dealt by Alphas towards buildings.
  • Have them disengage their aggro eventually if you're out of reach.
  • When the alpha has killed you, have them run the *bleep* away!

I don't think I'll be launching this game again until this has been fixed. Again I can live with bugs and other issues, but I can't play when you've made it impossible.

Edited by MikroMute
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:03 AM, GunnyTheGrey said:

OP is right.

The following is directed towards the devs:

I have 5,100 hours in Ark. Ask orionsun about me since you all worked with him, I've always been a show off about how easily that whole game could be soloed. And then I come and play Atlas.. And realize, nothing can be done without cheesing. You can't solo tame without cheesing, can't fight most of the creatures without cheesing, etc. At least in Ark, doing these same things felt "immersive" because the solutions were sensible, felt like what could be done in the situation if it was real.

Here.. Cram a door in an elephant's face. Stand on that high ledge and cope with the 70% hit registration issues. And hope to god that you are NEVER encountered by a predator while not near a high ledge with a grapple out and extensive time to actually wind it up. Any fight you win is going to be less about player skill (in fact, almost zero involvement) and almost entirely about where, when and how the fight started. You're born to lose them, and if you win them, it's because you got a lucky placement and not because you were given the tools, time or ability to plan or react in a way that allowed you to control the situation.

The hostile wildlife in this game needs to continue to undergo rebalancing, because it's pretty thoroughly broken almost all the way through.

Well said +1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, MikroMute said:

This looks like a good thread for me to vent my frustrations.

Look, I absolutely love Atlas. And I get it, Alphas are supposed to be mean green killing machines that are to be avoided at all costs. Fine. If I die to one I can usually get my materials back.

However, this is the second time I've been completely wiped out while safely staying inside my little hut. Sure, a wolf would bite a few times on your building to see if it can get inside, that's realistic. What is NOT realistic, or in any way fun for a game, is an Alpha Wolf being able to chew through your whole house, materials and all, in one single serving. WHY?!

There's absolutely nothing I can do. Run away hoping to lure him off your building? Nah, he doesn't care about you now, all he wants is to fill his belly with wood. Even if you manage to get him after you instead, once you're dead or out of reach he simply returns to his two ton wood dinner.

Suggestions:

• Decrease the damage dealt by Alphas towards buildings.
  • Have them disengage their aggro eventually if you're out of reach.
  • When the alpha has killed you, have them run the *bleep* away!

I don't think I'll be launching this game again until this has been fixed. Again I can live with bugs and other issues, but I can't play when you've made it impossible.

Alphas are absolutely retarded right now. Taming tree is useless because the amount of alphas that are around that not only kill you and your tames but also kill the replacements. A single alpha can clear a beach. 

This would be fine if it was a once a day thing but i can take a video of running down a beach and you can spot 1-3 alphas in 1 minutes time

Total animal spawn needs to be reduced by about half. Guns need to not only be fixed, but buffed further. Black powder rifles like these were used to one shot buffalo in real life. 

A solution to this is to allow players to tame animals from the golden age isles. Its challenging but will snag you higher level animals that wont die as easily. 

Alpha pigs are the worst, they hurt a ton. We have an elephant and a rhino and it takes both ridden to kill the alpha pig with the elephant draining its stamina fast so it gains torpor, there is no retreat afterwards. After dealing damage i rely on my friends rhino to provide knock back so i can regain stamina. The pack mentality too, hit one pig, 5 more come running from miles away (possibly bringing an alpha) is just BS.

Lower alpha levels, 202 alpha pig in freeport is overkill. Work backwards and set alpha spawns at a lower max lvl like 150 or allow the taming of over lvl 30 animals. 

The disparity is extreme!

Edited by lou_neuro