Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Upcoming patch makes me sad - Easy mode sailing

I have a different problem with being able to sail into the wind. I used to come FULL speed into my port and just before I hit shallows I would turn my sails against the wind and come to an instant stop. Now I have to actually raise sails and come in slowly.
It's an annoying change in my opinion, but it's also whatever. I'll play by their rules.

26 minutes ago, Collision said:

There's nothing wrong with the across the board speed boost, but 30% max speed into the wind is poorly thought out.

From how it reads, if a speed sail has a higher max speed, then it will travel faster than a handling sail directly into the wind. That makes absolutely no sense. What's the point in ever picking a handling sail if it loses its one major advantage?

It also kills the ability of ships to quickly stop by rotating their sails into the wind.

Such changes will diminish a lot of the sailing strategy. 

If you still however want to make the change, a better one would be 30% max speed for handling, 20% for weight and 10% for speed sails. That way some diversity and balance is maintained in sail choice.

We already ripped off all the handling sails and changed them to speed sails. GG.

32 minutes ago, Yensu said:

I have a different problem with being able to sail into the wind. I used to come FULL speed into my port and just before I hit shallows I would turn my sails against the wind and come to an instant stop. Now I have to actually raise sails and come in slowly.
It's an annoying change in my opinion, but it's also whatever. I'll play by their rules.

I used the same tactics to avoid ghost ships on my course. When sailing without crew, I could simply turn into the wind, wait for the ghost ship to clear my way, and pass behind it. Now it is becoming a pain in the a... to sail allone. Really a VERY BAD CHANGE, just to cater some whiners.

I agree that this is stupid. Sailing is one aspect of the game i didn't think needed An overhaul. It's disappointing to see this change incoming. Like others have said, make SOD have realistic sailing hanging. That would completely take care of the issue where they can sail against the wind. Please reconsider!!!!

• Like 1

The biggest reason I would think that they want to go with this is because of difficulty getting out of tight places. Maneuvering out of that bay you sailed straight into and now can't get out because the wind is wrong. i think 10% would have been fine for that. 20% at most. maybe the crews could stow the guns and ship ores.

6 minutes ago, Skyroguen said:

The biggest reason I would think that they want to go with this is because of difficulty getting out of tight places. Maneuvering out of that bay you sailed straight into and now can't get out because the wind is wrong. i think 10% would have been fine for that. 20% at most. maybe the crews could stow the guns and ship ores.

You already had handling sails and the ability to turn the ship while stationary. If your ship is in a spot that you can't get out of with those options you deserve whatever happens to you.

I mean 3/4 of the people here are talking about sailing like they are some modern day Christopher Columbus. Just because you have taken your dads dingy out to the local lake doesn't mean you are some ship captain with some higher education. I know nothing of ships and even I can figure out if I turn my ship and sails slightly one direction the sails turn green and it means I go fast. I can sail against the wind at different angles to get myself where I need to be. It isn't some hard or super secret thing to figure out.

All that being said. I think most people are forgetting one of the biggest issues with sailing in this game is lack of momentum on the ships. If you get your sails slightly out of the wind when turning it stops like you have pulled some emergency brake or dropped the anchor in the mud. I will welcome this change not because of the enhanced travel speed so much as it will allow you to maneuver your ship in combat a bit easier, you won't come to some ridiculous dead stop when changing your ships heading abruptly. Even if it is a band aid to ships no9t having realistic momentum I welcome it.

8 minutes ago, Huck Finn said:

I mean 3/4 of the people here are talking about sailing like they are some modern day Christopher Columbus. Just because you have taken your dads dingy out to the local lake doesn't mean you are some ship captain with some higher education. I know nothing of ships and even I can figure out if I turn my ship and sails slightly one direction the sails turn green and it means I go fast. I can sail against the wind at different angles to get myself where I need to be. It isn't some hard or super secret thing to figure out.

All that being said. I think most people are forgetting one of the biggest issues with sailing in this game is lack of momentum on the ships. If you get your sails slightly out of the wind when turning it stops like you have pulled some emergency brake or dropped the anchor in the mud. I will welcome this change not because of the enhanced travel speed so much as it will allow you to maneuver your ship in combat a bit easier, you won't come to some ridiculous dead stop when changing your ships heading abruptly. Even if it is a band aid to ships no9t having realistic momentum I welcome it.

I think I would prefer the momentum, but maybe that is too complex for this kind of game. Either way, I also prefer the challenge as it is, but I can live with the change if it helps the game.

Edited by Skyroguen

I am on the fence for this one. It could be minor and not change things over all but I do think they should have been lower amount. I will wait and see how it turns out. 

last night I got stuck because a little strip of sand prevented me from sailing around an island.  There I logged off as wind speed was zero, and I wasn't able to progress on.  That is super frustrating.  IRL we'd have oars, or some way to move the raft past such obstacles.

Cannot people role play oars being responsible for this 30% minimum?  It's a much needed change, and, helps newbs, and would have helped me immensely last night.

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.
- Also increased the amount of sailforce provided by minimum windspeed conditions by 30%, and the sailforce provided by maximum windspeed conditions by 15%.

you'r killing it, all the good taste of a quite realistic navigation system is gone, sell your licence to that sea of thieves bullshit !

listen to all those "i want it now and i want it fast" kids and go on killing it 😕 .... i was so confident in wild card .. magic is gone ... feelsbad

The more seasoned captain will still be able to outperform the novice. This is more quality of life change and to be fair I think there was probably better ways to do it, but perhaps this was the easiest and things will change again in the future. Either or I have sailed half the map quite literally in my brig at this point, battled and sunk dozens of SoD without issue. Just because they add some wind to people who are struggling, I don't think it's going to be enough to where my experience will be overshadowed by the game being made easier on the novice sailor here.

4 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

last night I got stuck because a little strip of sand prevented me from sailing around an island.  There I logged off as wind speed was zero, and I wasn't able to progress on.  That is super frustrating.  IRL we'd have oars, or some way to move the raft past such obstacles.

Cannot people role play oars being responsible for this 30% minimum?  It's a much needed change, and, helps newbs, and would have helped me immensely last night.

how owuld the role play oars work with a galleon then ?

I would love to see oars put in for just that. I have seen some old ships that are floating museums that had huge oars that could be used to turn and back the ship up.

1 minute ago, UDO said:

Galleons could always sail against the wind with the right sail?   (or I'm mistaken)   It's never fun to be stuck on a raft, and I found out the crap way that some erroneous sand can put an end to a night.

In any case...

hofT94t.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UDO said:

Galleons had oars.

The Annali Genovesi mentions galleons of 80, 64 and 60 oars, used for battle and on missions of exploration, in the 12th and 13th centuries.

Well I think it depends on the ship to be fair when it comes to oars. Many times people would be put out in front of the boat in dinghy's tied off to the ship and they would pull it by rowing. That being big ships of the past used oars was well.

get some teleportation portals witch brings you anywhere whith your stuff and mats all arouns the map, or planes and airports , better ........ 

Time for some big 'ol gallie oars whoot. To be honest I would love to have paddles for us on the rafts for the "how do I get out of this mess" moments.

I mostly like the change but wish it was implemented better.  30% is too much for being against the wind.  You should be punished for being in that position at least on pvp servers.  It is a legit used tactic for naval battles in the current game.  10 ot 15% would have been better, still encourage tacking, and then added buffs via the sextant navigation buff or captaineering skills.  I don't want them to "dumb down' the base core mechanics too much unless it's just temporary while they add in more robust features to support it.  

• Like 1

Granted the real solution would have been to pull in your sails to 0, and be able to use an oar (if solo) at 10 or 15%, and if you have a friend, then two of you go 20 / 30%.. but I have no trouble realising that this change is ultimately for the good of things.  It stops dead zones and stops game play becoming stuck or dead in the water.

(I play on PvE, so, understand it's a different ballgame to PvP)

Edited by Vorxius
  • Like 1

+its a good thing. it does not need to be tedious and super slow. 

you still have to tack to get faster speeds. so rest assured skilled people will still be able to out maneuver and escape or catch less skilled sailors.