Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Upcoming patch makes me sad - Easy mode sailing

6 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.

Fuck you Grapeshot. This completely negates all sailing skill. Everyone will now just straight line to their destination. Are you seriously this retarded?

Recruit difficulty, just like 2x gathering 😂

1 minute ago, TheSzerdi said:

I know, but I wanted my own thread because I'm going to post in it every day until they revert this change or I quit the game or they ban me. Fuck Grapeshot.

why dont we see how the changes work out before you waste your life on a pointless endeavor 

• Like 1

First of all, can we lose the idea that there is some sort of "skill" involved with sailing in this game? There isn't some super secret skill you possess that makes you a badass pirate or anything because you can sail into the wind. It takes all of 5 minutes to figure out... 

Not to mention, you'll still move 70% slower going strait into the wind... which is significant given the distance between islands. So no, people aren't going to just point strait into the wind no matter what since it'll still take much longer to reach your destination.  

There are legit things to complain about with the game but your reaction to this seems overly dramatic. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.

Fuck you Grapeshot. This completely negates all sailing skill. Everyone will now just straight line to their destination. Are you seriously this retarded?

Wow.  Over dramatic much?  I was hoping these tantrum posts over nothing were starting to die out... guess I was wrong.  I'll keep an eye out for your rage-quit post... followed by all the rest of your posts after you don't quit... 

21 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

I know, but I wanted my own thread because I'm going to post in it every day until they revert this change or I quit the game or they ban me. Fuck Grapeshot.

Ahhhh, just attention seeking.  Gotcha.   Didn't see that coming.  *eye roll*

9 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

First of all, can we lose the idea that there is some sort of "skill" involved with sailing in this game? There isn't some super secret skill you possess that makes you a badass pirate or anything because you can sail into the wind. It takes all of 5 minutes to figure out... 

Not to mention, you'll still move 70% slower going strait into the wind... which is significant given the distance between islands. So no, people aren't going to just point strait into the wind no matter what since it'll still take much longer to reach your destination.  

There are legit things to complain about with the game but your reaction to this seems overly dramatic. 

This post is my favorite today!  LOL!  Loved it!  Just what this tantrum tread needed ❤️

31 minutes ago, Realist said:

If you want to talk about easy mode...

they are going straight recruit difficulty with the 2x gathering 😂

Ah, right.  That's based off your experience.  Of not playing the game.  Nor owning it.  And having stated numerous times you're literally only here to troll and make people hate the devs.  #ByeFelicia 

Handling sails are now worthless. Tacking will be slower than straight line even with the slow speed. You aren't going to suddenly go full wind speed while tacking. This completely breaks immersion for me. Just so god damn dumb.

• Like 1

If your "tacking skill" takes you longer than 30% speed going straight into the wind you may want to rethink your so-called  "skill" level, and enjoy the change they implemented to help ya out.

• Like 1

Its a game … a GAME not a fucking sim ffs. Welcomed on this front grapeshot. Now about auto sails and you've cracked it on the sailing front making it accessible to MILLIONS of people that play mmo's solo. plus you make pirating accessible to that market - truly its a no brainer (Voyage century does it - eve is solo ship piloting - world of warships - and they are all popular and still going strong). Don't re-invent the wheel - no but you can progress it which the graphics of this game do extensively. 

Edited by hands solo

31 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah It's so funny because I've seen more male drama queens then female lately. geez.  Bye bye sterotype

14 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Handling sails are now worthless. Tacking will be slower than straight line even with the slow speed. You aren't going to suddenly go full wind speed while tacking. This completely breaks immersion for me. Just so god damn dumb.

I mean, sure, but that doesn't make it useless or obsolete. It will be very useful for planning trips, PvP and generally being on the ocean. It's just no longer a complex geometric puzzle game to tack correctly to get where you need to go. 

wait till the fcking patch comes out before you talk out your ass. Clearly you will still be able to sail skillfully, dont be a fcking pleb. There are real things to complain about, your perceived skillset isnt one.

28 minutes ago, hands solo said:

Its a game … a GAME not a fucking sim ffs. Welcomed on this front grapeshot. Now about auto sails and you've cracked it on the sailing front making it accessible to MILLIONS of people that play mmo's solo. plus you make pirating accessible to that market - truly its a no brainer (Voyage century does it - eve is solo ship piloting - world of warships - and they are all popular and still going strong). Don't re-invent the wheel - no but you can progress it which the graphics of this game do extensively. 

You see the other patch note that makes claiming enemy territory faster the more claims your company has? They clearly favor mega clans. This is not a solo game. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Read it backwards.

I'm on the "I don't like this change" team. It seems that most people that are happy about this change could have been as happy with a different approach such as :

- Ships keeping their momentum longer

- Wind direction changing more frequently (for people that could not park their boats for extended period of time)

I would not have had any problems with these types of changes, but allowing people to sail against wind seems dumb to me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

You see the other patch note that makes claiming enemy territory faster the more claims your company has? They clearly favor mega clans. This is not a solo game. 

AS a solo player myself, I know I have to concede certain things. AS a solo, should I be able to control as much land as a mega tribe? no. So they have taxes, as long as it manageable, I can deal with it. But if it's a chore, I won't be going to any claimed islands 😛

i do like the increased wind strength but really dont like unrealistic sailing against the wind.

you just need to cross the wind and are already making progress against the wind at about 30% of full speed. going forward directly against the wind feels really bad, its raft mode for all ships...

but also im not sure if it is what they mean, it could also imply that you will be pushed back at 30% speed when your sails directly face against the wind. which would finally allow us to move our ships backwards and (un)park them more precisely in harbors or docks.

but if they allow sailing against the wind i hope they add it to the game.ini so we can adjust it at least on private servers together with an amount value for the ships of the damned like we can already adjust creature amounts.

1 minute ago, Nhaga said:

I'm on the "I don't like this change" team. It seems that most people that are happy about this change could have been as happy with a different approach such as :

- Ships keeping their momentum longer

- Wind direction changing more frequently (for people that could not park their boats for extended period of time)

I would not have had any problems with these types of changes, but allowing people to sail against wind seems dumb to me.

They could have added a captaincy skill that allows you to sail closer to the wind. They could have buffed handling sails. They could have added a tiller to the raft. They could have made any number of more intelligent decisions.

• Like 2

Just now, Linea said:

i do like the increased wind strength but really dont like unrealistic sailing against the wind.

you just need to cross the wind and are already making progress against the wind at about 30% of full speed. going forward directly against the wind feels really bad, its raft mode for all ships...

but also im not sure if it is what they mean, it could also imply that you will be pushed back at 30% speed when your sails directly face against the wind. which would finally allow us to move our ships backwards and (un)park them more precisely in harbors or docks.

but if they allow sailing against the wind i hope they add it to the game.ini so we can adjust it at least on private servers together with an amount value for the ships of the damned like we can already adjust creature amounts.

This post summarizes my thoughts, almost perfectly.  I'm a fan of the extra speed.  Honestly, though, sailing against the wind is likely to be a non-issue.  Who's really going to be happy going at that speed, when you can go faster by zig zagging?

And moving backwards?  Yes please!  I didn't realize I couldn't until I pulled into my first shipyard haha

3 minutes ago, Linea said:

We have been able to move ship backwards already, It's been very precise for me so far. almost if I got some secret thrusters built in. Though it is really slow, you can back a ship very precisely.

just hold S to back up folks....wow, yall have not been doing this?

Edited by noquarter
extra info
  • Like 1

As soon as this goes live I want to see someone make a video of two identical ships racing. One going straight into the wind and one tacking realistically. If the tacking ship wins I'll paypal the video creator $20. DM me the video and paypal e-mail.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

As soon as this goes live I want to see someone make a video of two identical ships racing. One going straight into the wind and one tacking realistically. If the tacking ship wins I'll paypal the video creator $20. DM me the video and paypal e-mail.

Why not just ask a friend to race you for free?

Just now, Domino said:

Why not just ask a friend to race you for free?

Build two identical ships with two crews with identical skills takes too much of my time. Worth the $20 for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

If you don't know how to tack, you shouldn't be in a sailboat - lol

So long as that boost is across the range, those who know how to sail, will still beat those who do not.

I do however, think they should run multiple servers, with the easier modes on one server, and the harder modes on the other.

I will stick with Unofficial.  We will be able to alter those things, and I will vote for it being removed.  If the settings don't allow it, look for a mod to be made, and will likely be called something like, "Classic Sailing," or something similar.

30% seam to be a lot to boost a counter wind, player should feel the stupidity in trying to go full on counter wind and learn how to sail (ie swapping side), use a handling sail or whatever. I'm not against the boat going all around a bit faster being more maneuverable, but ye 30% seam too much, i guess we'll have to try. I'll much rather have them code a keybind to open close specific sails if needed so i can actually use my handling sail when entering an arbor or trying to anchor. Also fix the full open, full close sail command on wheel, it twitch and bug out 99% of the time.

The wind force on small wind condition, i'm not against it, but i'll rather have them fix the damned ships or seriously code a little harder on this feature.

Edited by ExplodingYeti
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the across the board speed boost, but 30% max speed into the wind is poorly thought out.

From how it reads, if a speed sail has a higher max speed, then it will travel faster than a handling sail directly into the wind. That makes absolutely no sense. What's the point in ever picking a handling sail if it loses its one major advantage?

It also kills the ability of ships to quickly stop by rotating their sails into the wind.

Such changes will diminish a lot of the sailing strategy. 

If you still however want to make the change, a better one would be 30% max speed for handling, 20% for weight and 10% for speed sails. That way some diversity and balance is maintained in sail choice.

• Like 3