Sign in to follow this  
archaegeo

Upcoming patch makes me sad - Easy mode sailing

Just now, Nightstrasza said:

Bcs it won't get us where we want to go, it will be slightly off and still will have to wait for wind to get to the right place

Unless your destination requires pin point precision this statement is false. I've had zero issue sail any sized ship (including raft) to my destination. Did I have to detour and lose some time? Sure, but that is a part of sailing.

• Like 2

Just now, Nari said:

Unless your destination requires pin point precision this statement is false. I've had zero issue sail any sized ship (including raft) to my destination. Did I have to detour and lose some time? Sure, but that is a part of sailing.

No saying that never got that way to the destination, but insteed of 2 hours sailing it would turn 6 hours or something depending on cargo, SoD in the way and direction where was going (again, talking about rafts which can't have handling sails an othe rbenefits bigger ships have).

No saying that never got that way to the destination, but insteed of 2 hours sailing it would turn 6 hours or something depending on cargo, SoD in the way and direction where was going (again, talking about rafts which can't have handling sails an othe rbenefits bigger ships have).

Sorry, but I still don't get how the issue isnt PEBAK. I can sail and park anything from a dingy to galley without issue. If time is the biggest concern then use more speed sails? Because it honestly doesn't take as long as you're saying it does to sail anywhere.

1 minute ago, Nari said:

Sorry, but I still don't get how the issue isnt PEBAK. I can sail and park anything from a dingy to galley without issue. If time is the biggest concern then use more speed sails? Because it honestly doesn't take as long as you're saying it does to sail anywhere.

Yes, know that big ships with big speed sails will get across a grid in less than 10 minutes...

So fine, just to stop this loop, will say "fine, the 30% increase in speed against the wind is bad, ppl should learn how to sail", will just stick with the idea of adding oars, jjust understand that being on thy side but also understanding the frustration of others, the end.

just understand that being on thy side but also understanding the frustration of others, the end.

I get the frustration, but hand holding and catering to people who don't even understand the mechanic is also problematic. Slippery slope is all. The buff wont break the game but it WILL lowers the skill cap.

13 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Yes, know that big ships with big speed sails will get across a grid in less than 10 minutes...

So fine, just to stop this loop, will say "fine, the 30% increase in speed against the wind is bad, ppl should learn how to sail", will just stick with the idea of adding oars, jjust understand that being on thy side but also understanding the frustration of others, the end.

There should 100% be Skiffs and Viking sailing rowboats

10 minutes ago, Nari said:

I get the frustration, but hand holding and catering to people who don't even understand the mechanic is also problematic. Slippery slope is all. The buff wont break the game but it WILL lowers the skill cap.

Thats the point, they shouldnt lower the skill cap so everyone can instantly sail.  You should either let others sail, hire sail npcs, or learn to sail by experimenting (or even reading a webpage on tacking, its not tough)

5 hours ago, Huck Finn said:

I know nothing of ships and even I can figure out if I turn my ship and sails slightly one direction the sails turn green and it means I go fast. I can sail against the wind at different angles to get myself where I need to be. It isn't some hard or super secret thing to figure out.

Feel free to pull me off my daddy's high horse then because I completely agree with the OP and am in the same boat as you.

They are making a super easy everything for casual players who won't stick to the game anyway.

Meanwhile, the hardcore players who spect something more deep from the gameplay, will leave.

They need to make a srv for instant reward casual gampleplay and another Survivalcraft MMO. (That was why we came here)

And there are plenty of private servers with 10x rates for those who need an easier or faster game.

I want to be able to grind it out and say, look what i did, with 40k other people doing the same, you know, the MMO that was advertised.

12 hours ago, TheSzerdi said:

I know, but I wanted my own thread because I'm going to post in it every day until they revert this change or I quit the game or they ban me. Fuck Grapeshot.

Well bye then lol 

Sailing does indeed need to be reverted back to 0% against the wind. Some of the best times in the game so far was exploring new areas because the wind was going the opposite direction. If you do not have proper wind, you should absolutely not be sailing in that direction, either wait for the wind to shift or go with it and see what happens. This also affected naval battles in a great way because you had to adapt your tactics to the wind conditions! It was a brilliant part of the game that has now been nerfed to easy mode and it is terrible now.

I have been very very happy with the updates and fixes overall but please revert this change back to 0%.

• Like 1

Have you even tried sailing with the change yet? You'll still need to sail correctly if you want to get anywhere quickly. All this change does is let people with excess time watch netflix while they crawl somewhere lol

I don't disagree with the change to some forward movement but, maybe lower it a bit more, enough to where you need to pay attention to your sailing/wind still, at least?

Your jump was  a bit much.. same with a few other changes went from base hard to easy mode.. and other things went from easy lol to .. wtf.. Not because you changed them but, you changed them too much, maybe 🙂  I am sure you will get a good balance out if it all. It is not quite there yet though.

Don't know if anyone else has mention this, but I'm thinking they did this instead of nerfing the Ships of the damned. Those ships can sail against the wind so we need to be able to also if we are going to have a fighting chance of evading or destroying them.

Hopefully the raft can also sail slowly against the wind now too, as in some situations, it was nearly impossible to free them when they get stuck unless you want to wait hours or days for a favorable wind.

9 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

Im a sailor in real life and work for an yard as well and yes, this new patch is great. In RL you can sail with every wind. Now its more "real".

Yes, real sail boats have a motor to use when the wind is not favorable. Or small ones have oars. Or you could get a tow. We have none of that, so they had to add the 30%. Nobody goes out in a boat that only has the sails for moving it, nobody.

30 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Yes, real sail boats have a motor to use when the wind is not favorable. Or small ones have oars. Or you could get a tow. We have none of that, so they had to add the 30%. Nobody goes out in a boat that only has the sails for moving it, nobody.

Except in pirate days such as this game is set they did not have motors in their ships. They were dependent on wind so this change is ridiculous. They just need to tweak the ships of the damned, not easy mode the sailing.

1 minute ago, Computer1633 said:

Except in pirate days such as this game is set they did not have motors in their ships. They were dependent on wind so this change is ridiculous. They just need to tweak the ships of the damned, not easy mode the sailing.

Seems you are set that ships of old only had sails. Not true, they either had oars on the ship or they had small boats that could be rowed and ropes that could pull the larger ship. Read a few history books, many a stranded ship with no wind has been towed while waiting for the wind.

Just now, wildbill said:

Seems you are set that ships of old only had sails. Not true, they either had oars on the ship or they had small boats that could be rowed and ropes that could pull the larger ship. Read a few history books, many a stranded ship with no wind has been towed while waiting for the wind.

I posted on another previous thread that they had to break out oars or tow rope their ship to move in no wind and I think this should be the same in game. Allow use of the grappling hook to hook and pull a ship with another ship. Im not saying there should be no way to move without wind, im saying the wind should still provide 0% forward movement if your going against it.

1 hour ago, Computer1633 said:

I posted on another previous thread that they had to break out oars or tow rope their ship to move in no wind and I think this should be the same in game. Allow use of the grappling hook to hook and pull a ship with another ship. Im not saying there should be no way to move without wind, im saying the wind should still provide 0% forward movement if your going against it.

Yes, that sounds good to me too, but they probably needed a quick fix right now, and this was the quickest way to do it. The game will be in early access for 2 years, so they have plenty of time to add towing and then at that point they can remove the 30% forward movement.

before there werre motors you sailed in the wind by keeling. either way you have always been able to sail into the wind.

3 hours ago, killahsin said:

before there werre motors you sailed in the wind by keeling. either way you have always been able to sail into the wind.

True and that was also the case in game prior to the patch however turning your full sails directly against the wind would not yield forward progress and certainly not with the speed it does now after the wind patch.

46 minutes ago, Computer1633 said:

True and that was also the case in game prior to the patch however turning your full sails directly against the wind would not yield forward progress and certainly not with the speed it does now after the wind patch.

tacking is not keeling. prior to this patch you could tack, keeling isnt really a thing in this game

23 hours ago, archaegeo said:

Come on, dont turn the MMO into Sea of Theives.

The below notes just make it so there is no risk to sailing upwind, no need to learn to tack, no need for handling sails, sigh.

The other patch notes are good fixes, but this is just giving into the whiners imho.

- Sailing against the wind now provides 30% of with-the-wind sailforce, as opposed to 0%.
- Also increased the amount of sailforce provided by minimum windspeed conditions by 30%, and the sailforce provided by maximum windspeed conditions by 15%

Dare you to sail in the red and get close to a SotD. You'll still need to tack ect, but I am suprised they changed it myself as i Personally found it pretty balanced the way it was.