Sign in to follow this  
Smokey Jones Seaweed

Taming a Rhino

Today we decided to go and try tame a Rhino, little did we know it was going to be completely aids. 

We set off to O13 to go gather some delicious turnips, we thought 300 would be enough for a beautiful Rhino. 

We then placed the turnips in a feeding trough to reduce the decay time (Goes from 5 mins to 20 mins)

Then we travelled back to our home land N10 to get our arrows, bolas (we thought 30 would be enough never knew we could be so wrong) 

Set our sails to I7 on Williers Cay where the big beautiful Rhino's are, spot a nice level 20 Rhino knock it down and feed it a Turnip... 0.4% Taming per Turnip...

Okay! Lets try get a lower level Rhino, find a level 2 Rhino, this time we will let our taming friend with all the taming proficiency boosts..... 0.6% per Turnip for a level 2.... You could only get 1.5% taming done per bola.... 

WHY ARE THE TAMING RATES SO LOW. 

Is your math right?

0.6% per turnip, yet only 1.5% per bola? That's not a multiple of either 0.4 or 0.6

With 0.4%, and only managing 6 feeds per bola during the 2 minute binding period, that should be 2.4%. Yeah, that's still 42 bolas. But they are fixing it. And you are taming a "high level" rhino, since most islands have 1-30 wild levels for their critters.

And you didn't even hit the hard scenario: hitting a crow with a bola. I spent 15 bolas and never got a single hit on my damn crow target.

44 minutes ago, Ankhwearer said:

Is your math right?

0.6% per turnip, yet only 1.5% per bola? That's not a multiple of either 0.4 or 0.6

With 0.4%, and only managing 6 feeds per bola during the 2 minute binding period, that should be 2.4%. Yeah, that's still 42 bolas. But they are fixing it. And you are taming a "high level" rhino, since most islands have 1-30 wild levels for their critters.

And you didn't even hit the hard scenario: hitting a crow with a bola. I spent 15 bolas and never got a single hit on my damn crow target.

Not my math, it's the game. Only telling you what I experienced when you're taming it's not a flat 0.4, there are other decimal numbers for example, 0.45728. Theres also the fact when you get the Rhino low health, the vultures swarm it and start trying to eat it even though it's not dead so the taming effectiveness goes down. But hopefully after this patch it might be easier with being able to grow turnip seeds in other areas other than tundra. Also some animals have different feeding times and are entrapped for different times. I believe the Rhino was something like 1min 35 seconds compared to other creatures like wolves being trapped for 2mins+ and then you have some animals wanting feed every 20 seconds and some wanting feed every 30 seconds. 

Edited by Smokey Jones Seaweed
additional information

2 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

Is your math right?

Haven't tried it yet but you can use grapple hook on animals. Draggem into a small house. Btw what tame food for raven was thinking of getting one myself

Crows eat earthworms, which you get as a rare spawn from digging with the shovel, but missing the mini game (on purpose). I suspect you already know you get grass and uncommonly potatoes by digging. But this is how you get earthworms too.

7 hours ago, Ankhwearer said:

Crows eat earthworms, which you get as a rare spawn from digging with the shovel, but missing the mini game (on purpose). I suspect you already know you get grass and uncommonly potatoes by digging. But this is how you get earthworms too.

Earthworms can be found by digging into soil(same places you can get water) if you use middle mouse button, you will dig without attempting to get water with a shovel. This will get you potatoes, straw, or earthworms usually.

https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Earthworms

• Like 2

I reassigned my middle mouse button to something useful, so that never worked for me. Even after unassigning it. But sure, I heard that was the non-shovel method.Thought it better to report something I had succeeded at myself.

I tamed a rhino today, level 9, this is after the 2x patch.

I had 1800 turnips that i brought back with me from the tundra to my new base near the middle of the map, (just a quick 4 hour sail) so that wasn't an issue, but this taming system is SOOOOOOOOO unbelievably BAD.

This was the most unfun, infuriating experience I have had so far in Atlas.

I finally managed to get it in the trap i made, which was a huge chore because they get stuck on everything, 

had 150 arrows, 20 Bola's and 100 turnips on me, should be good to go! lets get a Rhino! yeah no..

After figuring out that it was a god awful 1.1% per turnip and i could only feed it 2-3 times per bola,  I quickly realized i didn't have enough Bola's, Arrows, or turnips as they were spoiling in my inventory. 

Even in the trap that i made, its head sticks way outside of the walls allowing it to still hit you when Bola'd, hits like a truck, very painful. You have to position yourself CAREFULLY behind its head to be able to feed it a turnip, and if you get just a little to close, it will hit you and you are almost dead, and knocks you halfway across the map.

After getting it to about 30% i made a slight mistake and it hit me a couple of times, and i Died. This was right next to my base so i came back, knocked it down again, and fed it as quickly as possible, shouldn't of been more than a couple of minutes. GUESS WHAT!? that 30% progress is now 15%, if you are not chain feeding it the progress drops VERY VERY fast. I died twice taming this rhino, and had to panic run to my Tannery to make a couple more Bola's / get more stuff to repair my bow and lost 10%+ progress each time.

My friend came and helped me make more bola's and arrows and i was able to finish it with 35% taming efficiency, i was just happy to finally have a damn rhino.

Pretty excited as i wanted a rhino for many days, my island has no metal other than regular rocks, so i figured this would be great! nope.. It gathers no metal, just farms stone quickly, has horrible weight, 300 hp, gets stuck on everything, cannot fit through a small stone gate.

And to top it all off, 2 wolves fell from the sky, since they spawn on top of the mountains around my base..  With no stamina left as i was farming stuff, couldn't turn around to even hit them, the rhino is now dead.

They need to completely revamp this taming system. Bears & wolves are easy enough, but if they choose to keep this dreadful system, they should at least increase the Bola escape timer to 5+ minutes. It is bad enough you have to sit there and hit E every 30 seconds. but having to bring so many Bolas & arrows to tame something is ridiculous. I would absolutely love ark's taming system after i put myself through this torture.

Please do yourself a favor and don't bother with the bigger animals until they revisit this system.

Edited by 23teeth
  • Like 4

The wild Turnip is not the taming food, you need to plant the seeds that you get from the wild turnip and grow normal Turnip, which is the taming food for rhinos.

That is probably the reason why your taming went so slow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawid2991 said:

The wild Turnip is not the taming food, you need to plant the seeds that you get from the wild turnip and grow normal Turnip, which is the taming food for rhinos.

That is probably the reason why your taming went so slow.

Great if you live in a region that you can grow them. Being in tropical region I fear I cannot. So wild turnips it is. I was getting 2% per wild turnip on the rhinos I was taming. I also tested with grown wheat and wild wheat on an elephant. Pretty much the same. Around 2% per feeding. The elephant was definitely easier.

and to top it all off after taming a rhino , its doesnt have weight reduction for metal and rocks, i can farm faster manually using axe and picks