Tobekan

Schooner builds

What are you all using for sails to achieve fast builds for your ships?  I enjoy my schooner, so I'm curious what you guys are using for sails to get the best results.  Speed sails, maneuver sails, weight sails?  What are you using.

9 minutes ago, Tobekan said:

What are you all using for sails to achieve fast builds for your ships?  I enjoy my schooner, so I'm curious what you guys are using for sails to get the best results.  Speed sails, maneuver sails, weight sails?  What are you using.

handling sails best for avoiding damned ships

7 minutes ago, CountCocoPuf said:

I’m currently building one and thinking of going large speed and small handling.

Anytime you are not going with the wind, the speed sail will be useless. We’ve found handling to be most valuable.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Anytime you are not going with the wind, the speed sail will be useless. We’ve found handling to be most valuable.

Ya I’ve considered just going large handling. I do tend to want to sail directly in to the wind almost all the time. Just my luck I guess. I’ll probagly try both and see how much fast I can go with a speed and if it’s worth it over s handling.

8 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You can still turn the speed sail but it isn't a massive circle like the handling one unfortunately, on my schoomer I think ill be using a large handling and most likely a small speed, I havnt decided yet on a set amount

4 minutes ago, bluelance said:

You can still turn the speed sail but it isn't a massive circle like the handling one unfortunately, on my schoomer I think ill be using a large handling and most likely a small speed, I havnt decided yet on a set amount

i have 2 handling on schooner , have yet to test it fullly but initital testing is good both with and against wind

33 minutes ago, CountCocoPuf said:

I’m currently building one and thinking of going large speed and small handling.

That's what I'm thinking too.

I have a medium speed on my sloop, and I generally have no problem with the roughly 180 degrees you have to sail with the wind to outrun SotD. 

I'm curious if you can still reliably outrun SotD with a large handling and small speed though. Would definitely make tacking against the wind easier.

I am currently use a medium speed and medium handling.  I've had no issue thus far, but I like speed 🙂

2 hours ago, CountCocoPuf said:

I do tend to want to sail directly in to the wind almost all the time. Just my luck I guess

The wind always rotates clockwise in a ~4 hour cycle, so if the wind is really unfavorable, it's guaranteed to get better in an hour or so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, strawman said:

The wind always rotates clockwise in a ~4 hour cycle, so if the wind is really unfavorable, it's guaranteed to get better in an hour or so.

Good to know, thank you!