2 hours ago, Munra said:

I actually agree and normally do host my own servers as I am lucky I have a 1 gig home connection however i just didn't have the hardware to run a bunch of atlas server but I have been on ebay all day looking at some older dell servers. 

Look at the Dell R710 on Newegg. Buy a cheap one and upgrade the CPUs to X5690s. Get 144gig of RAM and the CPUs from ebay and run a pair of 500gig HDs in RAID1 and a single 500gig SSD. 

24 cores and 144gig of RAM can easily handle a 3x4

I have 4 of them, and about to order 2 more

Internet isnt an issue. There is absolutely no need for anything close to what you have. I run my Atlas map,  27 Ark servers, 2 DnL, Minecraft, and Space Engineers on my 120x20 and have stable pings in the 50s and 60s from Europe to Kansas. 

Edited by smooreace

how hard is it to set up the server though on a home server ? I mean i make custom map on here using Nitrado and so on and have edited the .ini files so on. But never ran my own server at home and was wondering is it easy or hard to set up.

Ease is totally based on personal knowledge. I do it full time! I'm at my computer 16 hours a day managing everything. So its easy. 

5 minutes ago, cpspok said:

how hard is it to set up the server though on a home server ? I mean i make custom map on here using Nitrado and so on and have edited the .ini files so on. But never ran my own server at home and was wondering is it easy or hard to set up.

Are saying you can make a custom map using the nitrado Control panel? Or are you just adding servers to your grid and calling it a custom map? 

Setting it up at home is easy but not that easy.  Like ark for example i always had issue running clusters on my home network.  Was fine for people out side my lan but i had to do some trickery with my consumer hardware with nat loopback and hair pinning.  So I could join a servers on the cluster.  I assume atlas would have some of the same issues.  

No im using Nitrado now and using the Editor tool deleted all islands mine is custom but 2x2 map can get pricy and growing it would be more so who knows ill probally stay with Nitrado even know there slow as shit getting my 3 and 4th serve up and running so still now stuck with my 2 servers as they are slow atm.

thanks

Nitrado has always been a joke. As are Citadel and BlueFang. None have the hardware, or intelligence, to run complex servers! But they will sure seel you something thats SUPPOSED to handle it!

You could always join our server. It's 6 grids at the moment, soon expanding to 12. There is a lot of islands for your community to claim. There is about 15 other players on the server. Low ping, lag free and x3 rates. Backup every 30min, oh and ship of the damned is not massively spawned at sea making sailing and exploration is ships a fun activity for the whole family. We occasionally arrange treasure hunt events too. Both PvE grids and PvP grids so you can choose what playstyle you want. It's community driven so the server is shaped around the player wishes and not admin wishes 🙂 Just an offer if you want. Also you dont have to pay for the server ^^,

Question: What is the more resource demanding for a private server, memory or CPU?

Shall i focus on the CORES or on the RAM?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crash said:

Question: What is the more resource demanding for a private server, memory or CPU?

Shall i focus on the CORES or on the RAM?

This is what I want to know, but it depends what size grid you want.

I'm struggling to find a good Windows host for < £20 per month. I've been looking at 16GB RAM and 2 cores but I can't find those resources on Windows for my budget. I don't want more than a 2x2 for 10 players.

You need 1-2 dedicated CPU for One Grid! NOT vCPU!  Main grid needs 4-5GB  ram and the Other grids 2.5- 4GB ram

The real key is that you MUST have dedicated servers for this! It will not run worth a damn on a virtual server. And you will be VERY lucky to run successfully with less than 2 cores per gride once you reach a population of more than 400 or so on any grid.

2 hours ago, Largoat said:

I'm struggling to find a good Windows host for < £20 per month. I've been looking at 16GB RAM and 2 cores but I can't find those resources on Windows for my budget. I don't want more than a 2x2 for 10 players.

You CAN NOT run atlas on a server anywhere close to that cheap! Even a 1x1 will fail! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jordiii said:

@smooreace can you Call me the specs of your Server? I Think my hp gen7 can handle a 3x3 grid easy and this cost 150 €

I have 4 Dell R710 rack servers
-Dual X5690 CPUs - 24 total threads/cores
-144GB RAM each

I can run a 3x4 easily on each one. 

And I have 2 IBM X3550s
-Dual x5460 CPUS - 16 total threads/cores
-96GB RAM each

These can easily run a 2x2 each

So, if I didnt have 27 Ark servers and half a dozen other game servers running I could easily run a 62 total grids. I could probably get away with running an 8x8 with reduced animal count and a 100 player limit per grid

I signed up with Survival Servers, Nitrado and then finally Host havoc for a 6 server map setup.

All 3 provider are now offering multi server Atlas setups.  In the end we went with Host havoc and now have a 6 server 2x3 setup running there.

My issue with Nitrado, was the week and a half wait period for my servers then seeing that they were so backlogged they were only installing single server maps and waiting a few days to give paid customers their extension maps. With Survival servers it was a long wait until after Christmas and then we were told we could have 6 single server maps because they didn't yet know how to join the servers up. I got my money back from both Nitrado and SS.

Nitrado has rotten customer service. I've dealt with them a few times. They do have the inside scoop on Atlas as they work closely with the devs and are the offical hosters so you gotta give and take here.

Survival Servers is finally up and running but I can't judge them as I demanded refund before they got to the multi-server stage. I had no idea how much longer they were going to make us wait.

In the end, Host Havoc finally started offering Atlas custom server setups. 4 of us jumped at the chance, having dealt with them for years and knowing how good they can be.
Host Havoc is the best for customer service hands down. I've had a dozen servers with them and they are very helpful and quick to answer tickets.
The CEO, Clay, is a guru and can fix almost anything.
It was a bumpy startup with the 6 server map but HH quickly learned the ropes and now we're 100% and I am glad to be with my favorite hosters on this game.

The game runs smooth, no lag or rubber banding. All the players are happy with it and won't be returning to Official servers any time soon.

Edited by hawk20011
  • Thanks 1

Host Havok was an absolute JOKE when it came to hosting Space Engineers! And survival servers is still showing a TERRIBLY broken how-to on setting up a server! 

To be fair, there is a HUGE learning curve with Atlas! So everyone is kinda behind the 8-ball. But everyone has the same info by now and SHOULD be on the same page. But ultimately, paid hosting is STUPID cost ineffective! 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, smooreace said:

Host Havok was an absolute JOKE when it came to hosting Space Engineers! And survival servers is still showing a TERRIBLY broken how-to on setting up a server! 

To be fair, there is a HUGE learning curve with Atlas! So everyone is kinda behind the 8-ball. But everyone has the same info by now and SHOULD be on the same page. But ultimately, paid hosting is STUPID cost ineffective! 

We've never offered Space Engineers hosting services. Are you sure you're not thinking of another provider?

5 hours ago, hawk20011 said:

I signed up with Survival Servers, Nitrado and then finally Host havoc for a 6 server map setup.

All 3 provider are now offering multi server Atlas setups.  In the end we went with Host havoc and now have a 6 server 2x3 setup running there.

My issue with Nitrado, was the week and a half wait period for my servers then seeing that they were so backlogged they were only installing single server maps and waiting a few days to give paid customers their extension maps. With Survival servers it was a long wait until after Christmas and then we were told we could have 6 single server maps because they didn't yet know how to join the servers up. I got my money back from both Nitrado and SS.

Nitrado has rotten customer service. I've dealt with them a few times. They do have the inside scoop on Atlas as they work closely with the devs and are the offical hosters so you gotta give and take here.

Survival Servers is finally up and running but I can't judge them as I demanded refund before they got to the multi-server stage. I had no idea how much longer they were going to make us wait.

In the end, Host Havoc finally started offering Atlas custom server setups. 4 of us jumped at the chance, having dealt with them for years and knowing how good they can be.
Host Havoc is the best for customer service hands down. I've had a dozen servers with them and they are very helpful and quick to answer tickets.
The CEO, Clay, is a guru and can fix almost anything.
It was a bumpy startup with the 6 server map but HH quickly learned the ropes and now we're 100% and I am glad to be with my favorite hosters on this game.

The game runs smooth, no lag or rubber banding. All the players are happy with it and won't be returning to Official servers any time soon.

Thanks for the kind words! :classic_biggrin:

- Clay

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Edited by HostHavoc
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, Tiberius_theron said:

So my small community is looking into purchasing a private server. What's the best private server hosting for the price for at least 6 Atlas maps?

Hosting an ATLAS server is a larger project than people expect. Each server requires about 2 threads (1 core). At minimum I would suggest 3.6GHz with a boost up to 4.6GHz and higher. You'll want at least 4-5GB of ram each tile.

If you have a small community look at hosting companies like LogicServers, Nitrado, SurvivalServers, etc. It's the more economical way to do things. 10-20 slots each server with 6 servers shouldn't cost you a lot. Keep in mind a lot of the hosting companies are struggling right now to get their act together because of how GrapeShot is conducting business with them, but it will be far less of a headache then trying to set up the server yourself. You'll also have support.

If you need more slots and are thinking about self hosting than you are in some trouble. For 6 servers you will want a CPU that has at least 12 threads (6 cores). 32GB of ram should be fine but if you could, go for 64GB. Again, stick to 3.6GHz with a good bost of 4.6GHz or higher.

For a hosting company I would recommend LogicServers. Mouseymars works his butt off and won't release anything less then a near perfect product. It may be a little more expensive then the other ones, but you'll get quality and someone who will not stop working until a fix is found. If one cannot be found, he won't BS and will be straight with you. (Join their discord).

For self hosting I recommend avoiding OVH. Their machines are not good enough for anything larger than a 2x2. I'm with Reliablesite right now and they use actual server grade hardware, not desktop parts. The price tag is high but hosting an ATLAS server isn't exactly a small feat. This isn't a single server operation, you're almost literally hosting a small MMO.

tl;dr

LogicServers for hosting company, Avoid OVH for self hosting. You need better components for 6 tiles. It'll be expensive but check out sites like Reliablesite.

I have used Nitrado for nearly 2 years. Love it. Also have used 2-3 other providers I wont post here I will never use again.

I have used Nitrado for hosting Conan, ARK, Monster, Minecraft, and Atlas. All PC servers.

Hosting yourself is also good, but the problem with that these days is the huge amounts of memory/CPU. And don't forget bandwidth. Data Centers will cream any locally hosted server or VPS cluster. I understand the benefits on both. I'm in IT myself.

Edited by DOA

36 minutes ago, DOA said:

I have used Nitrado for nearly 2 years. Love it. Also have used 2-3 other providers I wont post here I will never use again.

I have used Nitrado for hosting Conan, ARK, Monster, Minecraft, and Atlas. All PC servers.

Hosting yourself is also good, but the problem with that these days is the huge amounts of memory/CPU. And don't forget bandwidth. Data Centers will cream any locally hosted server or VPS cluster. I understand the benefits on both. I'm in IT myself.

Data usage is insanely minimal. And a $700 dual x5690 based server will do amazing things! The greatest of those things is save you a fortune is insane hosting costs! 

9 hours ago, smooreace said:

You CAN NOT run atlas on a server anywhere close to that cheap! Even a 1x1 will fail! 

Ok, so I'm now running a 2x1 on a Windows Server with 16GB RAM and 1 quad core CPU (configurable as 2x2, 1x4, 4x1) root server. Tile 1 is Island heavy as that was the server I was running on my own machine. Tile 2 is less so.

Been playing all night with friends. Works well, no issues, no lag, 25 ping.

Edit: This server is costing me £14 pcm

Edited by Largoat

2 hours ago, Largoat said:

Ok, so I'm now running a 2x1 on a Windows Server with 16GB RAM and 1 quad core CPU (configurable as 2x2, 1x4, 4x1) root server. Tile 1 is Island heavy as that was the server I was running on my own machine. Tile 2 is less so.

Been playing all night with friends. Works well, no issues, no lag, 25 ping.

Edit: This server is costing me £14 pcm

Its great until its populated! 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, smooreace said:

Its great until its populated! 

But it was populated. I said in my original post that it's only intended for 10 people.

No inkling of issues. Confident it can handle what I'm currently throwing at it, not sure how it will fair against a 2x2 tbh but when we decide we want to wipe I'm going to throw everything at it and see how it goes so I know it's limits.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:28 AM, Largoat said:

14 hours ago, Largoat said:

But it was populated. I said in my original post that it's only intended for 10 people.

No inkling of issues. Confident it can handle what I'm currently throwing at it, not sure how it will fair against a 2x2 tbh but when we decide we want to wipe I'm going to throw everything at it and see how it goes so I know it's limits.

I guess I read your initial comment poorly and never saw the 10 player part. My bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smooreace said:

I guess I read your initial comment poorly and never saw the 10 player part. My bad. 

You boast about having great hosting at home and no issue, but yet all your servers are mostly empty. You can run 100 instance of Ark servers / atlas servers when they are empty on any hardware with any sort of internet. I highly doubt you have any sort of anti-ddos  protection or have the capacity to replace parts on the fly. Please stop suggesting people to buy their own hardware and host it off personal internet. 

• Like 1