Mr.Gibbs

Pin coded boxes being robbed?

Anyone having problems with your pin coded boxes beingĀ  robbed ? We had all of our boxes on a 3rd floor robbed and stuff gone... I know on private servers they have it where smithy and boxes are auto locked , why can't we get this on official? People are saying there are some with a program that's running thru pin codes until the right one was hit... this makes the game along with fighting for our land in pve some bullcrap.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There have been reports of this sort of thing here on the forums. Not tons, but you're not the first, so it is most likely a thing, and definately a thing that needs looking at. Logging of storage access and then banning of players who engage in unauthorized entry is likely the most effective approach vs trying to make the hack not work/prevented. But I'm not a programmer so who knows. Sorry you lost your stuff. Next time it could be me, so hope this gets fixed.

• Thanks 1

Dunno about boxes, but someone is constanly feely going trough my daily changed pin code lockedĀ doors... And no, the structure the door is used on is not being overlaped by another flag area.

44 minutes ago, Mr.Gibbs said:

Anyone having problems with your pin coded boxes beingĀ  robbed ? We had all of our boxes on a 3rd floor robbed and stuff gone... I know on private servers they have it where smithy and boxes are auto locked , why can't we get this on official? People are saying there are some with a program that's running thru pin codes until the right one was hit... this makes the game along with fighting for our land in pve some bullcrap.

Wouldn't surprise me if its going on.Ā  I don't believe any of the servers are currently running BattleEye, which is weird since it installed first time the game was run.Ā  As a work around, make sure all your valuables are behind locked doors, and that all windows into that locked area have window covers.Ā  People are also apparently using climbing picks to gain entry to buildings through windows.Ā 

Ā 

I totally agree that all containers, including crafting stations should both start locked, and have the option to unlock them as well (after the fact)

There are only 10000 possibilities so it doesn't take too long to figure out the code. Never use pin codes, that's the best solution to your problem.

Edited by Renard1

22 minutes ago, Renard1 said:

There are only 10000 possibilities so it doesn't take too long to figure out the code. Never use pin codes, that's the best solution to your problem.

They could just allow for all 10 numbers to be used and the pins being possible to be only 1 number up to all 10, then it will take a nice chunk of time for such griefer to go thro whatever that huge number is.

3 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

They could just allow for all 10 numbers to be used and the pins being possible to be only 1 number up to all 10, then it will take a nice chunk of time for such griefer to go thro whatever that huge number is.

Not really. Brute forcing a 10 digit long numeric code takes seconds for a computer. The only real solution is to remove the stupid pin system and just add locks. Why the hell is there even a stupid pin system in a pirate game anyway? Since when did pirates have number pads on their chests? Oh wait, they just took it from Ark and changing it requires effort.

3 minutes ago, Garfy said:

Not really. Brute forcing a 10 digit long numeric code takes seconds for a computer. The only real solution is to remove the stupid pin system and just add locks. Why the hell is there even a stupid pin system in a pirate game anyway? Since when did pirates have number pads on their chests? Oh wait, they just took it from Ark and changing it requires effort.

Or they could add a 15 minute lockout after 3 failed attempts, then it goes from seconds to hours and hours, unless they get lucky because the person set a silly easy code. Ā Such a simple fix.

51 minutes ago, Garfy said:

Or just that, set permissions insteed of pin and problem solved...

You see - we use the word GAME in regards to Atlas but to OTHERS it is a living, they farm - they sell the gold and as such they CHEAT and STEAL. Know thine enemy.

Ā 

Theft in game IS often THEFT in real life where they earn an income from it.

J

4 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

Or just that, set permissions insteed of pin and problem solved...

Exactly you set a pin for what reason?Ā  Your tribe doesn't need it and per.issions that allow allies, tribe, or admins only would fix this.Ā  Also why can't their be tiers to company's other than just admin for permissions?

The pin code bot is stupid simple. Admin lock behind a door for now, surely they will add more options later, like as one said a lockout period was added in ARK.

1 hour ago, Nightstrasza said:

How is that griefing? Leaving full boxes out in the open is asking to be robbed. Just put a door between your stuff and other players.

Most players will either use their birth year, birth date, the one of their spouses, children, or 6969. That's the most common pin codes i've seen. It really takes 10-20 minutes to open any box because god forbid people take some unusual numbers...

7 minutes ago, Renard1 said:

How is that griefing? Leaving full boxes out in the open is asking to be robbed. Just put a door between your stuff and other players.

Most players will either use their birth year, birth date, the one of their spouses, children, or 6969. That's the most common pin codes i've seen. It really takes 10-20 minutes to open any box because god forbid people take some unusual numbers...

Not being the victim of that behavior, atleast not yet and the OP is telling about getting thro the pin code so they certainly didn't leave their resourcces unprotected, just the protection system is too weak.

1 minute ago, Nightstrasza said:

Not being the victim of that behavior, atleast not yet and the OP is telling about getting thro the pin code so they certainly didn't leave their resourcces unprotected, just the protection system is too weak.

The point of pin codes is sharing a box with allies, not protecting your things from strangers really. Anything you want safe must be behind a non-pincoded door in a fully closed building.