Sign in to follow this  
Erian

Setting up a farm?

How does one set up a farm in ATLAS?

We came across one buildable island with fresh water so far, and it was taken by a big company.

Is there any other way to get water to a farm? Is there a skill that allows you to purify water? (can I purify seawater by cooking it for example?) Or get it straight from green ground?
It hardly ever rains, so that will not be enough to water the crops.

There is a waterpipe and stone reservoir system and rain barrel, but from recent posts Farming is brokeen.  The crop plots only produce ONE item per harvest they say.

• Thanks 1

yea dont matter small or large plot.you can get 4 crops from either size(size dosent matter) but to get 4 youll need to mini game each plot 4 times and be successful each time or it will only yield 1 or 2,defently not worth the effort on top of that crops have 5min in game spoil.,

I find the best way to survive - bar just killing my character & respawning to avoid wasting time with food - is to make a Preserving bag and Preserving Salt.  Each piece of cooked meat lasts 2 hours and the meat stacks up to 30 (if I recall) so you can play next day and have food to last you until the next batch.  Berries last a long time too, and Salt consumption is very slow.  At least I don't have to catch damn' fish almost constantly, even though I have the vitamin skills to make them deplete slower.

Edited by Coggage

31 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I find the best way to survive - bar just killing my character & respawning to avoid wasting time with food - is to make a Preserving bag and Preserving Salt.  Each piece of cooked meat lasts 2 hours and the meat stacks up to 30 (if I recall) so you can play next day and have food to last you until the next batch.  Berries last a long time too, and Salt consumption is very slow.  At least I don't have to catch damn' fish almost constantly, even though I have the vitamin skills to make them deplete slower.

That's all well and good but you need specific vegetables to tame most of the animals.  Turnips fo Rhinos, Wheat for Elephants, etc, etc.  Sadly farming is a requirement to get those animals. 

Edited by mndfreeze

You aren't going to get enough to tame anything with though, not without a vast amount of work - read Darcek's post.  The items only last a short time before decay.  Better to sail to an island to get them and keep them in a Preserving BAg, or trade with players who do that kind of thing for pay.

Edited by Coggage

Well, I can say with experience that isn't entirely true.  We tamed an elephant and a Rhino yesterday.   You do need to setup a decent sized farm but we don't have a ton of animals pooping or anything for the fertilizer.  Roughly 20 plots or so.  Need to make sure you have your farmer doing the harvesting, not random people who dont have the skill,  and you do definitely need to use preserving bags but it's totally doable by a small company.  With how taming works it's not always an easy option to just sail somewhere for turnips or wheat.  Not sure how many islands you've tried to scout but most are NOT friendly to letting  you go onshore and pillage things from their land.  Trading is risky at best but can work if you are in alliances.  

Farming is currently not great, but it's far from useless.  When we went hunting turnips for the rhino before we found seeds we sailed for 8 hours hitting island after island and didn't find any.  Guildmate who had been looking *all weekend* finally find some on a small island a few servers over.  This was after hunting for them across entire server lines.

Back to OP's question, you can setup the water storage tanks (not the barrels) that will collect rain water and use irrigation pipes and it will slowly water your plots that are near them.  Add more of the water storage containers the more plots you have and even more if it doesn't rain often.

• Thanks 1

Well looks like they at least addressed how completely trash the farming was in atlas by buffing things in gardening at least according to the upcoming patch notes. 

Getting 1-4 per harvest at the ridiculous spoil rate was just asinine. 

anyway to pipe water from ocean? I can't get any thing but irrigation out of storage system to work?? I am in polar.. it never rains here.. I need ideas on water for my crops. 

9 minutes ago, azrik said:

anyway to pipe water from ocean? I can't get any thing but irrigation out of storage system to work?? I am in polar.. it never rains here.. I need ideas on water for my crops. 

ocean water is salt water and afaik not usable for crops. This was something that wasn't distinguished or addressed in Ark, but has been in Atlas. Now a rudimentary desalinization device using evaporation wouldn't be out of the question to make freshwater out of rainwater, but such a thing isn't in the game and may never be.

I get that but.. no rain or water that u can use in polar region is kind of hurtful. I already have to travel for all fiber, because none grows here. now seeds are worthless. and have to travel for berries to tame anything in polar region. guess all these bears and rabbits eat rock. because they live with nothing to eat and somehow survive.