Willard

Offline protection

This game needs some kind of offline protection like it is in ARK. People don't play 24/7 and there is absolutely no way how to prevent destroying your ships while being offline. Ships are not dinos which you could hide in base behind 150 loaded turrets. 

We've just lost all our ships to a much smaller tribe just because we were offline. We will rebuild ships ofc and we will destroy them cuz we are much stronger than them but still. You are offline and you fleet can be destroyed by random Bob with flame arrows. Its annoying af.

A lot of people will stop playing if there is no way how to protect your ships while being offline. Only those who are able to play during nights or 200+ companies with people from different time zones (but why should Americans play at EU servers, right?) will play and playerbase will go down.

You solved that in ARK, solve it in Atlas. In ARK you at least have turrets...

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willard said:

This game needs some kind of offline protection like it is in ARK. People don't play 24/7 and there is absolutely no way how to prevent destroying your ships while being offline. Ships are not dinos which you could hide in base behind 150 loaded turrets. 

We've just lost all our ships to a much smaller tribe just because we were offline. We will rebuild ships ofc and we will destroy them cuz we are much stronger than them but still. You are offline and you fleet can be destroyed by random Bob with flame arrows. Its annoying af.

A lot of people will stop playing if there is no way how to protect your ships while being offline. Only those who are able to play during nights or 200+ companies with people from different time zones (but why should Americans play at EU servers, right?) will play and playerbase will go down.

You solved that in ARK, solve it in Atlas. In ARK you at least have turrets...

Yes, my sentiment is exactly this. Destroying someone's base/ship/character is far too easy at the moment, and the cost and effort of re-building is just too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

build a harbor with npc crew manned cannons... Its pretty easy to defend your ships while your offline...

Edited by Dayum
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I want to agree to having offline protection.... my boat was out in the ocean, in a claimed area and whilst I was offline for the night tornadoes had slowly torn my boat apart. When I joined again a Ship of the Damned appeared and demolished my boat within seconds. Literally a one-hit due to that the storms had razed my boat.

I can't be by land because then people with piracy or cannons would've just shredded my boat apart, I don't have enough gold to even buy 1 crew member.

Edited by Carlec
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dayum said:

build a harbor with npc crew manned cannons... Its pretty easy to defend your ships while your offline...

How can those NPC def it against players with flame arrows/hatchets? 

Edited by Willard
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

cannons set to shoot ships only, gatling guns set to shoot players only. Npcs are rly strong on Placeable guns.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dayum said:

cannons set to shoot ships only, gatling guns set to shoot players only. Npcs are rly strong on Placeable guns.

But you can snipe them unlike a turret

• Thanks 1

You can have offline protection.

Hire NPC crew... place them on guns,  Puckle guns, Cannons, heavy cannons, and such.   Set them to shoot anything hostile or not in your company.  And give them plenty of food and ammo... and you will not have a problem.

Second you can tame a bunch of aggressive animals, lions, tigers, wolves work fine.  Set them to aggressive and put them behind your walls.  They will attack anything that makes it through.   

Lastly, make friends in other timezones.  So you have 24 hour coverage.   

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

You can have offline protection.

Hire NPC crew... place them on guns,  Puckle guns, Cannons, heavy cannons, and such.   Set them to shoot anything hostile or not in your company.  And give them plenty of food and ammo... and you will not have a problem.

Second you can tame a bunch of aggressive animals, lions, tigers, wolves work fine.  Set them to aggressive and put them behind your walls.  They will attack anything that makes it through.   

Lastly, make friends in other timezones.  So you have 24 hour coverage.   

Again all your solutions can be sniped also why should this game require such a demand to play it as 24hr protection?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Big Bojangles said:

Again all your solutions can be sniped also why should this game require such a demand to play it as 24hr protection?

If you build propper walls and prepared defenses, no they can't be sniped.  Study some simple defensive structures in real life... see how they are laid out, then modify them for in game.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Hodo said:

If you build propper walls and prepared defenses, no they can't be sniped.  Study some simple defensive structures in real life... see how they are laid out, then modify them for in game.  

Lol so how does that stop a raid?  Your basically saying hide them indoors.  That means they already raided you you just slowing them down now.  That's not a defensive option as much as it is buying time and if I can't smoke them in sure I can find a worm around.  Such as explovises or draining ammo in some fashion.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

Lol so how does that stop a raid?  Your basically saying hide them indoors.  That means they already raided you you just slowing them down now.  That's not a defensive option as much as it is buying time and if I can't smoke them in sure I can find a worm around.  Such as explovises or draining ammo in some fashion.

I get what the guy is saying you hide the tames as traps and when they break through they get mauled, cause they are surprised by the fact they was not expecting it, common logic

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

If you are offline, you can not stop a determined attacker.  Instead you have to make it so it costs them more to try than it does for you to defend.  If it takes them to long they will often get bored, frustrated or any combination of the two, and they will leave.   If they can get the easy loot and kill then they will.   

Learn to create false doors, trap rooms, kill boxes, air locks.   All of those things help with online and offline defense.  Relying on a dozen AI controlled gun turrets wont help you here.  

Even my ships are designed with this in mind.  It is often easier to sink my ship than to break into it.

• Like 1

Ya, got to agree (although I have little experience with this). There are those people that just like to destroy stuff. There is nothing that will motivate them to stop except maybe it takes them too long. They can get zero loot out of it, that is not their motivation, it is just that they want to ruin you day and that is what makes their day. Only thing that would stop them is offline protection.

The get gud, just isn't going to work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

nature of an online pvp game. find what you can do to automate and get people otherwise give up and quit

• Like 1

Yeah, for a mission statement that is supposed to be inspired by EVE online, they miss the mark on a few things.  Ships in EVE were offline safe, unless you were docked in a null sec station.  My corp mate and I had some high value ships docked in a null sec station that changed hands a few time and ended up with an enemy corp, and couldn't get it out safely.  The ships were still docked there - we just couldn't fly them out lol.

Use walls and NPC's. If you're the low hanging fruit then yeah, you'll be taken out... spend the time doing the work to build your defense and you'll make it more effort than they're worth and move on to someone easier.

Z

• Like 1

I see absolutely no reason to not have something as simple as making your boats and structures immune to damage if the entire company has been offline for an hour or so. The only reason to not support some sort of offline protection is because you're the type who offline raids...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paradigm said:

I see absolutely no reason to not have something as simple as making your boats and structures immune to damage if the entire company has been offline for an hour or so. The only reason to not support some sort of offline protection is because you're the type who offline raids...

Exactly.  There can be a system that can't be aleasily abused.  It would be better than investing hours into a game that has poor design to protect it when you can't even play.  I get how offline raid defense works I came from ark but it's a stupid system and it's a lot easier to have multiple bases or even start over again on ark than this game.

• Like 1

Requiring the entire company to be offline for an hour or more would be a simple way to prevent abuse, and offline raiding isn't PvP at all. It's PvE that griefs someone. This game is way too buggy and easy to exploit to think that the npc crew wouldn't just get sniped down.

• Like 1

Exactly.  That's what I was trying to point out above I can easily snipe your defenses, or send in tames etc to find tour interior defenses and just go around them.  It wouldn't be hard or take much extra time.  If I want to get in I will.  There is no competition in offlining and as you said it's certainly not PvP.   I don't see it's place in a game you want to be competitive.  If you don't want it to be competitive then it won't be long to see your goal of one company ruling the world.  Instead of it being epic fights though it will just be who can offline the most people.

• Like 1

Is really sad that the only "PvP" i've gotten is stealing a ship while his owner was away or DC...and getting my ships/base destroyed by bad company members while i was offline in a lawless area (no land to take from me)...

I thought i joined a PVP server not a PvEvInertstructures/sandmen entering my house and shooting me while sleeping... i have yet to live some real pvp action but without offline protection...i doubt it

• Like 1

"QQ we would steamroll that small tribe because we outnumber them by far, pls do something that the small tribe cant harm us in any way QQ"?

3 hours ago, Dingiva said:

"QQ we would steamroll that small tribe because we outnumber them by far, pls do something that the small tribe cant harm us in any way 

Eerm, what? You realize the smaller tribe is the bigger problem it has right? Because they simply can't make ships every day. 

Edited by Willard