Realist

Atlas was meant be be an ark DLC

2 minutes ago, Kuhlbox said:

If you play for yourself...ever been on a official server in a alpha tribe base at structure and taming limit?  If u think that 5 to 20fps are playable..ok...go, have some fun. They always promised to optimize the game, but they never really did. Even though with atlas...

Yes I have... I was just playing while waiting for Atlas to come back...

They fixed a lot of issues that was causing zone lag. Like the moving plant turrets and also added a limit to amount of turrets in an area etc... Try reading patch notes sometime.

As I said. The game is in a playable state. If Atlas was even half as playable as Ark, we'd be in an acceptable stage of early access release for Atlas. Problem is, that isn't even the case.

Edited by Andro Bourne

I see this argument worded tirelessly in a multitude of ways, and frankly the perception of how things came to be and what it is to this new wave of "privileged" gamer has gotten me sicker than the seas waves.

The reason you are a consumer is because you are not a developer. You honestly don't know your rears from yarr faces when it comes to what Atlas is, and what Ark was.

Ark (Let's call it Vanilla Ark) is not only game, it's a tool-set that took years of developing by Wildcard to re-utilize. All of the code in ARK has value. It is a framework they have constructed that they are using for Atlas (I would appropriate to being a "fork" of Ark 2.0).

Why is there a "hidden" Ark menu and Single Player? Well, Vanilla Ark had those features, so would the framework if they were directly porting ARK's valuable code to a new engine, rather than start from scratch. Why abandon years of work to start from scratch again?

In all the hubbub and commotion, the hype that revolved around the "launch" of Atlas; was lost the notion that this is an early access title that is years away from being a complete product (if it ever gets there, but that is irrelevant). Your $25 gets you in on the very beginning development track of the game. This is an ALPHA. The stuff being mined is just unused components of the Ark framework. Eventually those files get removed over time.

It's very hard to break down the entire development process of an application in one forum post (and this is already getting too lengthy for the average consumer of this game)- but it's foolish to believe that with every new milestone version of a program, that code is not reused. Code is reused everywhere, in every facet of application development. Those things called code libraries? ARK is just one big code library to Wildcard. Windows has used the same code libraries for decades, as has Apple with any flavor of their iOS Software. It's funny, they keep selling you the same stupid phone and software year after year, but you'll keep buying it as they raise the price. Oh what's that? Apple stocks are down 40%.

The people at Forbes are consumers. They are not developers, and just as uninformed as the rest; clawing at bits and pieces of information they don't understand because they need to push articles. I find it truly unfair to Wildcard, and sympathize with the position they've been forced into. People can twist and corrupt good intention all they want.

ARK's boat physics weren't just horrendous, they were a physical limitation of the Engine at that time.

I'm really just going to expand on this later and make it it's own post, but the silver lining to all of this is these guys as Grapeshot/Wildcard went early to the public with ARK's framework running on a newer version of the Unreal Engine that boasts features they could implement into a game of their own- due to the nature of the undertaking. That is what you paid for; anything that is built on top of that from here til the end of the games development cycle (DLC aside) is basically FREE. Maybe ARK was supposed to have more boat-related stuff, and due to the limitations, simply couldn't explore those options. 

It's so ironic...people scream for developers to have transparency, to communicate and involve communities in the development of the game so everyone can have the game turn out to be the one they wanted, or at least close. What did we do with that opportunity? We shit on it. Excuse my french, but the term is warranted. This release was the DEFINITION of transparency. It slapped you all in the face of your expectations, and you did not even realize it.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

-Teach

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Teach said:

Why is there a "hidden" Ark menu and Single Player? Well, Vanilla Ark had those features, so would the framework if they were directly porting ARK's valuable code to a new engine, rather than start from scratch. Why abandon years of work to start from scratch again?

Like someone once said; there is no need to reinvent the wheel. This also means they have more time and resource to invest into fixing the game, polishing content, exploring and expanding new game mechanisms, etc. rather than building the framework itself which is highly beneficial for us, the players.

Very well constructed post, thank you for Teach'ing us. :sword:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Xronos said:

A T-Rex just ate my pirate 😞

That is pretty ridiculous. Also another reason we know it was a dlc. Dinosaurs in a pirate game? That is just stupid.

I just found some win2000 files in my Windows 10 edition! They copy & pasted everthing omg omg. Don't use Windows 10 it was meant to be a dlc for sure! There's even a hidden menu to Boot into the old Windows!!!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Kuhlbox said:

If you play for yourself...ever been on a official server in a alpha tribe base at structure and taming limit?  If u think that 5 to 20fps are playable..ok...go, have some fun. They always promised to optimize the game, but they never really did. Even though with atlas...

it is playable the last hours until now i cant spawn on the server. but ok the last 24 hours they make 5!!!! Patches ... on a sunday and 24.12. Monday! so i played last night and this morning ...totaly fine, no rubberbanding animore, no laggs, way faster farming and crafting, way better hunting for fish, and meat. Haters gona Hate! so hates GO, good for active players and servers! and the fact that all say "its a Ark DLC!!!!" so? what is the problem? 20 € is a fair price i think! there are people outside who buy every year the new FIFA or MADDEN NFL or other games who slightli changed. I Like the game and i dont think its moneygrab!

STOP ACTING LIKE FOOLS! START THINGKING BEFOR HATING PLEASE!

btw.: i think all here forgett that the Game is Early Acces!

Sorry for my bad english ^^. Happy Holidays to all! (also to the haters!)

Edited by TBird
btw.: ...; 25=24

Ark DLC = 25$

What you paid for Atlas = 25$

What you get with Ark = the same dev team working on ark now working on surplus content and bugs from previous content. stale player base and a new theme forced to fit into a game that is already established.

What you get with Atlas = A completely seperate dev team dedicated ONLY to this content. Is it early access? it is but you KNEW this when you payed the 25$. When you spent your money you KNEW what you were signing up for so I really fail to see why this matters at all.

I have to admit i was pretty annoyed with the release delays because they failed to come out and say BEFORE the timer ticked down "theres going to be another delay" but they have fixed this, their communication is way up they are pumping out fixes every 2-4 hours THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Stop acting like they tried to swindle you. It doesnt matter if this idea started out as ark DLC or not. It is currently getting the attention of a completely unique project.  You payed the same price as an Ark DLC anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, Realist said:

Ok the corruption is just worse than I thought.

turns out atlas was an ark dlc since there is an ark menu in the title screen. Even had a single player mode.

not just that but it really makes sense now that there are only 4 maps that have been copy and pasted then rotated. I thought that was weird but the atlas map DLC was probably going to be those 4 maps.

instead of charging a ark map price they are trying to turn it into a whole game. Totally corrupt. They even went through and did minor changes like calling “raw meat” “animal meat” 

sorry but that is just way too much corruption for me.

That's not corruption, that's capitalism.

1 hour ago, Stabby said:

That's not corruption, that's capitalism.

😂 it’s unethical business practices. Wildcard is just worthless so they have to resort to dirty and under handed business. Not all business is “good” business.

on a side note now that it is widely known what they did the people that were swearing up and down that it wasn’t are now saying it was a good business decision. White knights are so pathetic 😂

On 12/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, Kuhlbox said:

I'm talking about Ark and you clearly havnt played recently. I'm on an maxed out official server right now getting 75+ fps...

Nice try though.