Sign in to follow this  
AdriaticWhisper

I bow to you, developers

In the 20 hours I have played this game. Below is my experience.

- Dying from being cold.

- Dying from the million aggressive animals.

- Dying from respawning under the map.

- Running around trying to find a space on Lawless island that isn't littered by foundations.

- Sailed for maybe 4 of those hours on my raft.

- Built maybe 30 rafts, only for them to be completely destroyed when I log back on the next day.

This game is not for the solo player. It's seems impossible to get going in this game by yourself. Hell, probably would be hell just for 3 people.

HOWEVER. The one thing I need to give probs to the developers on. I have never gotten startled in a video game before until I played Atlas. Just randomly smacking rocks and trees, then all of sudden a wolf comes out of no where and eats me. It makes no sounds when coming after you until it actually attacks you. Okay, it got me once.. No problem. But it just gets me every time.

19 minutes ago, LIttlePatience said:

I play solo... Build a base, a Schooner and 2 Sloops. Making a trading outpost atm. It is not impossible )

And how is that to drive a schooner alone?, is that even possible?, especialy with all those SoDs propably instantly targeting it once going between grids and having to do all the sails suff, not to mention cannons if ever wanted to fight back.

As for the op, own experience from 40+ hours is spending 3/5 of that time on raft searching for land to claim or traveling to gather resources or something. Then there is like 1/5 of time being eaten by wolves and multiple times almost going to rage on steam reviews... so far didn't write a negative review but if any day an alpha wolf wilt go thro our house and will lose stuff, that will be over of our patience. The rest of the time that didn't waste by sailing or dying was about hitting trees, rocks and mosly grabbing tons of fiber, with the 1x resources insteed of 2.5x might aswell forget about gathering fiber, 1-5 per bush even with iron sickle... give us a break.

I get 5-11 fiber with a metal sickle and only the first higher hand harvesting. But I do think the fiber requirements are ridiculous.

Playing solo is indeed very hard at the moment. 

We don't really have mechanics yet that support small groups/ solo players.

I'm hoping as well that they will come sooner then later.. 

14 minutes ago, warhealer said:

Playing solo is indeed very hard at the moment. 

We don't really have mechanics yet that support small groups/ solo players.

I'm hoping as well that they will come sooner then later.. 

If they don't they will have to somehow get their players back instead of just retain them from here out.

Just now, Big Bojangles said:

If they don't they will have to somehow get their players back instead of just retain them from here out.

Yeah, it did surprise me that they didn't have those mechanics since the beginning.

But it is still very early access, so i think they will implement those.

Just now, warhealer said:

Yeah, it did surprise me that they didn't have those mechanics since the beginning.

But it is still very early access, so i think they will implement those.

I agree that I have hope, but one can only hold out hope so long.  A little too late is a saying for a reason, and I feel like their lack of planning for the balance of this game is going to kill it before they can get running.  Unfortuantely after all the massive issues it would take a major about face to save the current players that no ammount of hope on our part can even start to help the problem.  Once the zerg companys unleash they will wipe everyone clean and the majority didnt buy the game to be a worker bee in a mega company or to live on a raft for weeks in lawless or starter zones.  Poor mechanics and poorly implemented design choices that you can't save unless you make a 180 before the next game comes out and everyone forgets atlas was ever a waste of $25.

Just now, Big Bojangles said:

I agree that I have hope, but one can only hold out hope so long.  A little too late is a saying for a reason, and I feel like their lack of planning for the balance of this game is going to kill it before they can get running.  Unfortuantely after all the massive issues it would take a major about face to save the current players that no ammount of hope on our part can even start to help the problem.  Once the zerg companys unleash they will wipe everyone clean and the majority didnt buy the game to be a worker bee in a mega company or to live on a raft for weeks in lawless or starter zones.  Poor mechanics and poorly implemented design choices that you can't save unless you make a 180 before the next game comes out and everyone forgets atlas was ever a waste of $25.

I'm pretty sure they they will get ahead of the problems at some point.

Ark for example had worse problems and they did figure them out for the most part.

If you're really not enjoying the game in the current state i would just lay it aside for now and keep an eye on some streamers or patch notes. 

That's how i usually deal with it,  i did test several games in beta/alpha/early access.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warhealer said:

Ark for example had worse problems and they did figure them out for the most part.

If you're really not enjoying the game in the current state i would just lay it aside for now and keep an eye on some streamers or patch notes. 

That's how i usually deal with it,  i did test several games in beta/alpha/early access.

Yeah I agree and have had to make the decision plenty of times.  It's just frustrating cause this isnt what I feel I was sold from a company that says "they learned a lot from ark"  um what exactly was the lesson?  They are repeating all the exact same problems as ark and sold us more or less the exact same game, except instead of obelisks to travel servers you have a long ass sea voyage instead, on top of that larger companys/tribes than you could ever imagine in ark.

1 hour ago, LIttlePatience said:

I play solo... Build a base, a Schooner and 2 Sloops. Making a trading outpost atm. It is not impossible )

You must be on a PVE server or private server. Or you were a lucky one and manage to find an island at the very start of the launch on the PVP server. Everywhere I sail, when I was able to sail, and I have sailed many many grids. Everything is locked down it seems. Besides the islands in the super winter zones.. And you just freeze to death there in a matter of minutes.

Edited by AdriaticWhisper

9 hours ago, AdriaticWhisper said:

You must be on a PVE server or private server. Or you were a lucky one and manage to find an island at the very start of the launch on the PVP server. Everywhere I sail, when I was able to sail, and I have sailed many many grids. Everything is locked down it seems. Besides the islands in the super winter zones.. And you just freeze to death there in a matter of minutes.

Some rare tundra parts are still open, atleast in pve... and also always is polar but there's no vitamin A and C so enjoy dying from vitamin deficiency. There are also yetis.

9 hours ago, warhealer said:

I would not necessarily bank on them figuring it out. The design issue presented by land claim is the same issue as pve pillar spam on Ark officials and to this day that problem has never been really satisfactorily resolved. To see them begin EA if this game with a system that doesn’t show they learned anything from that experience is disapointing and along with some other factors calls into question the extent to which they learn from and improve on past experience.

12 hours ago, AdriaticWhisper said:

In the 20 hours I have played this game. Below is my experience.

- Dying from being cold.

- Dying from the million aggressive animals.

- Dying from respawning under the map.

- Running around trying to find a space on Lawless island that isn't littered by foundations.

- Sailed for maybe 4 of those hours on my raft.

- Built maybe 30 rafts, only for them to be completely destroyed when I log back on the next day.

This game is not for the solo player. It's seems impossible to get going in this game by yourself. Hell, probably would be hell just for 3 people.

HOWEVER. The one thing I need to give probs to the developers on. I have never gotten startled in a video game before until I played Atlas. Just randomly smacking rocks and trees, then all of sudden a wolf comes out of no where and eats me. It makes no sounds when coming after you until it actually attacks you. Okay, it got me once.. No problem. But it just gets me every time.

Actually I got so well established as a solo player that I’ve been able to supply huge amounts of firearms and other valuable resources to my Alliance. Location, locatiom.

Yeah i was also playing solo up until two days ago, currently its been 48 hours since i could last logon so probably lost everything. But I managed to solo build my sloop in about 2 hours on a tundra island. So believe me, in normal areas fibre isnt an issue. Sailing solo is pretty easy and i sailed solo on my schooner with several AI crew, which i found a lot easier to control than i was expecting. And tbh i think 10 ships controlled by 10 people with their entire crews being AI will be better than having 1 ship with 10 plager crew, mainly because of how in sync you can make the ai versus trying to coordinate multiple players. I finally got some friends on and our plan was to build 3 schooners and mow down ships of the dammed, 1 sxhooner with 5 cannons firing can take then out fairly easily with some damages, so 3 schooners would just rip them apart. I also expect a lot of pvp will be fought with a solo person using the ship, muktiple ships, nd excess players will board enemy ships

10 hours ago, AdriaticWhisper said:

Not with the fur armor set and propper skills learned. Even without fire you get at most the slightly cold icon and that in only at night or during a storm. The far bigger problem are the animals constantly respawning, and often a lack of fiber (cotton in case of Tundras). PVP server is a complete different beast and if someone wants to solo in there has to know the risks or he is in for a very bad experience.

The game is way to easy. Almost free build. I was hoping for more mature game. Something like Life is Feudal meet Jack Sparrow.

What we get at the moment, is a Fornite with World of Warships battles.

Was hoping sail with Friends, shoulder to shoulder, in a ship raiding another ships in sea o bases.

What we get Instead of a 15 guys crew, is 15 solocrew ships armada. Free claims. Spam of almost free gigants Doors. No need for eat, drink o healers. Just die and respawn as many u need...

The potencial is there. But they are going full casual mode...

Hope we get an unofficial mature Survivalcraft/coop/more simulation srv soon. :(

12 hours ago, LIttlePatience said:

You are then fortunate like me and very lucky. The fact I didnt lose my base yet on a very good spot like iam on and completely surrounded by red circles with countless overlaps is a miracle. I am fighting off multiple claim attempts on a hourly basis, was griefed by people, someone sunk my raft, somehow is getting trough my pin locked door so I cant leave anything outside the boxes and even tried to destroy my base with agroing an alpha snake and alpha tiger. I managed to kill both of them btw. and that all on a PVE SERVER!!!!!!!  Thankfully i have decent French and German neighbours lol.

Edited by Loni

47 minutes ago, Loni said:

You are then fortunate like me and very lucky. The fact I didnt lose my base yet on a very good spot like iam on and completely surrounded by red circles with countless overlaps is a miracle. I am fighting off multiple claim attempts on a hourly basis, was griefed by people, someone sunk my raft, somehow is getting trough my pin locked door so I cant leave anything outside the boxes and even tried to destroy my base with agroing an alpha snake and alpha tiger. I managed to kill both of them btw. and that all on a PVE SERVER!!!!!!!  Thankfully i have decent French and German neighbours lol.

What a bunch of douches, that's more of a job than fun, hwo can withstand this bs? Maybe hire someone to go to those guys and sink/destroy their everything for all of this trouble, they deserve it so much.