Domino

AI Crewmen

So I've recently been experimenting with NPC crewmen, and discovered how amazing they are at helping to man the sails and also do repairs on my ship while it's anchored.  But, my question is, what else can they do?  I've seen brief mentions that they can also do stuff in your base, but I'm not sure what they can do.

And it seems like you can bring them out hunting with you and possibly gathering resources as well.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm always worried that one wolf will wipe out my entire crew in the blink of an eye!

How do you get them to repair?

From our experience, you can get them to man the sails, or you can bring them near a cannon and assign them to that (we use a brigadine and have 6 cannons on each side below deck, each manned by an npc).    The captain or someone on the podium build can order them all to fire at once.

You can also set them on puckle/swivel guns/cannons on shore as base defense, to do this you have to hold E and tell the STRUCTURE, not NPC (IE the cannon/gun) to only fire on players/tames.       We also put the npcs on aggressive, not sure if that's needed.

Been wondering about having them collect resources, also if I put guns/bows+arrows in their inventory would they use them?

I heard you need to pay them 1 gold every hour also you need to feed them, how expensive they are and howmuch they eat? I don't want to run out of gold too soon.

If you put a resource chest (unlocked in the captain's tree) on your chest, you can put gold in there and they'll pay themselves as needed.  Mine were taking 1 gold per 1.7 hours (if I recall correctly).  Same with feeding: you can place a larder (also in the captain's tree) with food in it, and they'll eat as needed.

To have them repair, you need to have them NOT doing anything on the ship (so if they were manning sails, click them and select "Unseat").  They'll stand up and appear to be sweeping.  If there are resources in your resource chest, they'll do the repairs.  It's a nice little way to keep your ship at full health without having to constantly run around and do repairs yourself

33 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

Been wondering about having them collect resources, also if I put guns/bows+arrows in their inventory would they use them?

I'm also wondering!  I might test this out, but I shudder at the thought of going back to the newbie island again to buy more crew, just to test them and have them die immediately.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Sentinazo said:

I heard you need to pay them 1 gold every hour also you need to feed them, how expensive they are and howmuch they eat? I don't want to run out of gold too soon.

We got all of ours from Ships of the Damned, the higher level the ships the higher level the crewmates are, got a few level 25ish from a level 20 iirc.     The price varies but it took about 5-10 gold to "hire" them when they were swimming in the wreckage about to drown (lol), and then each one had a price that varied from 1 gold every 30 minutes to 1 gold every hour.    One of our guys had the "Captain" skill tree and was able to make them cost less though.     You just place the gold in their inventory and it'll go down automatically.    

You also need to feed them though they starve slowly, you can build a food larder (which while not as good as preserving bags and salt still makes food decay slower and auto feeds them).    Or you can put the food into their inventory directly.    Haven't tried putting coins in a food larder yet.

Note that when they run out of coins there's a red text saying you need to pay them within a timeframe, and if that expires they go hostile.    WHich can be hilarious as one goes hostile before the others, and the "for now loyal" ones all slaughter them.

7 minutes ago, Migolcow said:

We got all of ours from Ships of the Damned, the higher level the ships the higher level the crewmates are, got a few level 25ish from a level 20 iirc.     The price varies but it took about 5-10 gold to "hire" them when they were swimming in the wreckage about to drown (lol), and then each one had a price that varied from 1 gold every 30 minutes to 1 gold every hour.    One of our guys had the "Captain" skill tree and was able to make them cost less though.     You just place the gold in their inventory and it'll go down automatically.    

You also need to feed them though they starve slowly, you can build a food larder (which while not as good as preserving bags and salt still makes food decay slower and auto feeds them).    Or you can put the food into their inventory directly.    Haven't tried putting coins in a food larder yet.

Note that when they run out of coins there's a red text saying you need to pay them within a timeframe, and if that expires they go hostile.    WHich can be hilarious as one goes hostile before the others, and the "for now loyal" ones all slaughter them.

Thank you! I think you can recruit them at freeports too. I got around 400 gold now but it took me quite a lot get it being alone, not sure if would be able to maintain 2 guys to man my sloop sails...

They got paid and eat while offline?

9 minutes ago, Mr.Sentinazo said:

Thank you! I think you can recruit them at freeports too. I got around 400 gold now but it took me quite a lot get it being alone, not sure if would be able to maintain 2 guys to man my sloop sails...

They got paid and eat while offline?

Yeah.  And 400 gold will probably last you waaaay longer than any NPCs you hire.  Mine keep dying super quick.  If it's not a wolf dragging them overboard, it's a crocodile haha

1 minute ago, Domino said:

Yeah.  And 400 gold will probably last you waaaay longer than any NPCs you hire.  Mine keep dying super quick.  If it's not a wolf dragging them overboard, it's a crocodile haha

OH MY GOD, so predators can kill them, then I won't get them I will get mad, everytime i log off wake up being killed by a stupid crocodile or wolf even being anchored at some distance from coast. 😭 Thank you guys.

Yeah I never took them off the ship, they're super useful on the ship though, sailing a 2-3 sail ship solo or even with a few friends is hell.     Been thinking about equipping them with plate and good weapons but not sure if I wanted to risk them outside the ship.

Yeah you'll definitely want to lock them safely in a building overnight, most likely

Are they useful as guards in the base vs raiders ? Are there 360 degree cannons\turrets they could man ?

They can man most anything I think, for base defense you probly want them on swivel guns pointed toward doorways from the side (so they have to go inside to attack), or puckle guns.    Mortar and whatnot I'd be afraid to assign to them.

14 hours ago, Mr.Sentinazo said:

They are expensive and eat a lot. I have a schooner (14 ai crew, but would need 17 to fill the cannon and sail slots) and will need to do 1 to 2 treasure map a day to pay them, also if i'm not wrong we have an event that give double gold, so you'll need to do at least 4 treasure maps, most of the treasures are unreachable, up some fucking mountain you need a full bag of climbing picks to access. Also their belly food meter seam to be very big, probably a few hours before they starve. Before a night of sleep i had like 4/5 stack of food, all gone in the morning, and this is a short night. The crate floating in the sea should contain at least 10 gold each instead of 2 or 3 since now you cannot find that much of them (they seam to be linked to damned spawn). Also like all ai they are retarded, use your whistle keybinds or it's a nightmare. Apparently you can use them as pets, give them gear and all (haven't tested this part), you can apparently send them gather. Apparently they can guard your shit as you can assign them to kill only ship, animal, enemy, on top you can put them aggressive, passive, fleeing..

I'll edit a sec to tell the dev they need to redo the shop to buy them, they need a way bigger area to spawn in or they bug out.

Edited by ExplodingYeti

It kinda depends on how you use them, if you keep them overnight they eill become expensive because thats at least 6 gold per night per person when your not playing. AI will defend themselves, your property etc using weapons they have (not tested bht i heard thats the case). You can level your ship so that instead of it being 1 gold per hour it can increase to 1 gold every hour and a half etc. Might not seem like a lot but hey it adds up

Apparently you just look at them and press comma "," dno if they can be assigned to mortars but apparently they can

3 hours ago, ExplodingYeti said:

They are expensive and eat a lot. I have a schooner (14 ai crew, but would need 17 to fill the cannon and sail slots) and will need to do 1 to 2 treasure map a day to pay them, also if i'm not wrong we have an event that give double gold, so you'll need to do at least 4 treasure maps, most of the treasures are unreachable, up some fucking mountain you need a full bag of climbing picks to access. Also their belly food meter seam to be very big, probably a few hours before they starve. Before a night of sleep i had like 4/5 stack of food, all gone in the morning, and this is a short night. The crate floating in the sea should contain at least 10 gold each instead of 2 or 3 since now you cannot find that much of them (they seam to be linked to damned spawn). Also like all ai they are retarded, use your whistle keybinds or it's a nightmare. Apparently you can use them as pets, give them gear and all (haven't tested this part), you can apparently send them gather. Apparently they can guard your shit as you can assign them to kill only ship, animal, enemy, on top you can put them aggressive, passive, fleeing..

I'll edit a sec to tell the dev they need to redo the shop to buy them, they need a way bigger area to spawn in or they bug out.

I just need 2 guys but still...if they are such a pain I would stay far from them until they balance everything.

You and the ai need to be very close to whatever you want them to be on, if not it doesnt work, just have them follow at very close range andd stand next to the cannon or sail

2 guys is nothing, best is to put them on sails. They are not a pain, its just ai lie pet in ark...

Edited by ExplodingYeti