Sign in to follow this  
Epicbaconflips

RedisDatabase Crashed

Ahoy,
 My redisdatabase crashed this morning and wouldn't allow my server to start. I ran the clearall.bat that comes with the server to reset it and it finally came back online. However, when I logged into the server my profiles and everyone else's that I play with disappeared. This happened before and I just created a new profile. However, I've been playing for awhile and have built a lot of stuff that I would hate to start over if there's a simple fix. Please help if you can! Thank you.

Sincerely,
EBF

42 minutes ago, Nelson Sandalwood said:

bro, when you did clear all what you did was clear all the data, backups are your only hope

I figured as much, thanks. Any idea on how I can prevent redisdatabase from running out of memory? or create multiple backups?

On 1/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, aezephyr said:

Anyone have a simple way of automating the backup of that file?  Say every 30 mins?

I manually do it each day before I sleep that way I don't lose as much data from a restore if needed. However, every since I re-download the redis server from Microsoft directly I haven't had any issues from the stock setup. I've been playing 4 days strong on a 1x2 grid. 

I've been manually copying the .rdb file as well.

I've made a test server to try and break and fix things so that I know how to do it in case of live troubles and have found that the .rdb isn't the only thing that you would need to restore in case you needed to do a rollback:

the individual world files contain the location of ships and tames and players and such.  (or so it seems from testing)  I should note that I don't *know* any of this, this is just what I've deduced (hopefully correctly)

the redis file contains pointers to where in the grid people are - which servers should be in charge of what entity so to speak.  the actual players, tames, ships, buildings, etc are saved in the world files, not the database.

so, in order to do a rollback you need to have world saves rolled back for each of the servers as well as a corresponding .rdb for that state of the game at the time of the rollback.

on my live server there are no world backup files and my .rdb (backed up manually once per day) isn't going to help if things go wrong.  seems I'm going to have to do saveworld on each server, backup those world files at that time *and* backup the .rdb at that time if I ever wanted to rollback.

automating that would be helpful.