Sign in to follow this  
Talono

Tips for solo players ? (PVP server)

If this game was intended for exclusively large groups they wouldn't have put hireable NPCs in the game Percy.

In fact, Id say that they DID want solo/small groups to play the game and that's why they did put hireable NPCs and gold in boxes all over the ocean.

Edited by Pappy Green

2 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

If this game was intended for exclusively large groups they wouldn't have put hireable NPCs in the game Percy.

I never said this game was exclusively for large groups. I said it was designed for them, like the devs told us before launch. 

19 minutes ago, Pappy Green said:

In fact, Id say that they DID want solo/small groups to play the game and that's why they did put hireable NPCs and gold in boxes all over the ocean.

Yes, as a dev of any game you want joy for all. I also never said the devs don’t want solo/small groups to play. They said before that it will be very hard for them, and well.. the proof of that is all over the forum haha 😄 

1 hour ago, Pappy Green said:

Well you literally just said "The game is designed for large groups".

I was just noting evidence to the contrary.

It is designed for large groups. That does not mean it is exclusively for large groups nor that they made the solo/small groups completely impossible. 

Edited by Percieval

I play solo and after a rough start in the game I want to state from the outset that I play on a 3x3 unofficial PvP with slightly increased rates.  This server has made the game enjoyable for me as I live in Australia and officials were giving me pings of 1400+.  PM me if anyone wants the server details.

In response to Talona's question I offer the following:

1. Officials are a big community but with that comes griefers, trolls and different time zones so players are at their prime when you are offline.  Try and find a decent sized unofficial with increased harvest rates and unlimited respec like I did.  Respec is very important.
  2. Build right on the shoreline, but build a shipyard right in front of your claim.  Using the H button, build behemoth gates all the way around your claim area.
  3. Respec to increased harvest and harvest everything
  4. Respec to building and build stone everything.
  5. Build a stone taming trap
  6. Respec to beastmaster 3 and tame a few high level predators.  You will die repeatedly kiting them to your trap but stick with it.  Put them on aggressive in your base but not wander. and have them follow a passive.
  7. Use sloops with speed sails.  Solo sail and use half walls in the hull to build a floor out of ceilings and install smithy and storage.  Sloops are an affordable loss as are shipyards.
  8. Respec and build armour, respec and build guns, respec and captain your ship.
  9. Don't get attached to your gear and enjoy the game!  It's not a 2nd job it's entertainment so don;t take it seriously.

Good luck solo colleague.  PM me your location as even though the server I am on is based in Australia we have US and French players logging in with better pings than official.

Edited by DattoSSS

Small groups must be allowed to live and defend on official servers.

Thats the true challenge. Unofficial servers are small, full of abusive admins, deleted the next day you log in. No, no, no ,

2 hours ago, Talono said:

Small groups must be allowed to live and defend on official servers.

Thats the true challenge. Unofficial servers are small, full of abusive admins, deleted the next day you log in. No, no, no ,

Sorry mate you are wrong.  You have merely chosen the wrong unofficials.  The server I am on is stable with a very active admin who runs a fair and equitable community and has run Ark servers (and other games) for three years.    

Have fun.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, Talono said:

The suggestion with many stealthy bases does not work, the island owning company gets a message if you claim their land or, if they are stupid noobs, at least see the red circle on the map in their territory when they log in.

Then a mortar hunt & destroy squad immediately starts, believe me. They wont stop till they found the intruders and wipe them. Multiple flags around the main base with 1x1 huts and NPC inside wont help.. the mortar killed first the huts and then the main base, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to prevent that.

Absolutely nothing? Have you tried maybe talking to them before you just plop something down on their land? Cause it sounds to me like you're sh*ting where you eat ><

As a solo player, I recommend you find a nice renter's island, or somewhere that is generally friendly to squatters. A short conversation with the island owners can go a long way. After that, just GO ELSEWHERE to do your pirating. Never a good idea to piss off your neighbors, especially, as you say, when there is a giant red circle showing them where you're hiding. 🙂

Many renter's communities (as others have mentioned) are quite active/strong. Often they have a community discord for communication, trading, and mutual defense. I think you might be confusing solo mmo play with single player play. Just because you don't want to be in a company doesn't mean you shouldn't utilize a community.

Being a solo player requires thoughtfulness in the way you play, build, and INTERACT with those around you.

Also:

Outside of a good owner/renter relationship, lawless regions are going to be your best bet for stealthy play. Build high, build small, build away from the beach. Don't build a giant shipyard right below the cliff where your "stealth" base is built. Don't build giant ladders into the sky.  Don't build ANYTHING that creates light anywhere near your caches. You can see that crap from miles away. >< You have to think about these things. 

And whatever you do, build in multiple places! Small caches are the pirate way!

• Like 1

build small bases on the top level in island maybe in rock, get 2 islands and set peace time 1 island, and other island war time, and put ship only on peace time islands.

Edited by Chopa

Not playing anymore, but logged 3k+ hours solo on PvP server from the start.  Always on Lawless.  The simple fact of the matter is you are thinking about this all wrong.  50 Large walls, 10 layers of honey combed stone wall, multi level stone ceilings with ramps packed into it doesn't mean shit.  If they find it you will get cleaned out .... plain and simple.  You need to be invisible.  Find a somewhat thick forest and look for tightly packed tree tops.  Once you find one experiment with chopping down a tree and replacing the trunk with "WOOD" pillars.  Go up a few and build a small enclosed box.  Wait ...... After the tree respawns take a look at what you have as far as visibility.  Can you expand the size?  Can you add a level?  Regardless, the point is invisible and I've had small bases that would probably still be there if it were not for decay.  Always have a grappling hook and secret spots with just a cabinet and gear inside.  Think small and live small. 

Another good place is an under water base.  Level everything you can in swimming and oxygen.  Just have your shipyard and crafting stations not too far off.  Stations completely open or someone will break into the building.  Can always build a fake base by the shipyard that will keep the lazy content when your offline.  That or a base that has already been cleaned out (missing walls).  Protip:  Set a chair in your underwater base.  Sit, stand up, sit, stand up, sit stand up, sit stand up .... eventually this will replace your oxygen supply (as silly as that sounds) could have been nerfed by now though.  Underwater keeps more valuable stuff safe.  Can put crafting stations in there as well.  Hell, I was at a point where if I got wiped the only inconvenience was resetting everything as I had multiple bases already built and in a storage cabinet underwater. including Everything to build multiple new schooners as needed.    

Had a lot of luck building on a platform located under an arch at the top of trees.  Have one spot that is virtually invisible, just a pain to get to.  Eventually dropped a roll up ladder that concealed itself with tree trunks pretty well.  Tames take a lot of space.  They are like an advertisement for where you are at.  Never could keep a tame alive very long so I always ground out mats.   I know this is bad form and borderline glitching but break a large rock and set a cabinet.  When it respawns see what it looks like and break again if needed.  Schooner with 250 into resistance can last around 30 hours at freeport (unless they nerfed that), if your in lawless a freeport is close.  Nothing groundbreaking here.  Solo is rough in Atlas, but, it seems you already know that.  If they find it, it is gone.  Key to not rage quitting is to be able to rebuild very easily if they do find it.

I hated it, but can always go cold too.  Far north and south have a lot less players.  ALOT. 

Didn't read the whole thread and some/most of this could already have been mentioned ... gl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, Elmo said:

Not playing anymore, but logged 3k+ hours solo on PvP server from the start.  Always on Lawless.  The simple fact of the matter is you are thinking about this all wrong.  50 Large walls, 10 layers of honey combed stone wall, multi level stone ceilings with ramps packed into it doesn't mean shit.  If they find it you will get cleaned out .... plain and simple.  You need to be invisible.  Find a somewhat thick forest and look for tightly packed tree tops.  Once you find one experiment with chopping down a tree and replacing the trunk with "WOOD" pillars.  Go up a few and build a small enclosed box.  Wait ...... After the tree respawns take a look at what you have as far as visibility.  Can you expand the size?  Can you add a level?  Regardless, the point is invisible and I've had small bases that would probably still be there if it were not for decay.  Always have a grappling hook and secret spots with just a cabinet and gear inside.  Think small and live small. 

Another good place is an under water base.  Level everything you can in swimming and oxygen.  Just have your shipyard and crafting stations not too far off.  Stations completely open or someone will break into the building.  Can always build a fake base by the shipyard that will keep the lazy content when your offline.  That or a base that has already been cleaned out (missing walls).  Protip:  Set a chair in your underwater base.  Sit, stand up, sit, stand up, sit stand up, sit stand up .... eventually this will replace your oxygen supply (as silly as that sounds) could have been nerfed by now though.  Underwater keeps more valuable stuff safe.  Can put crafting stations in there as well.  Hell, I was at a point where if I got wiped the only inconvenience was resetting everything as I had multiple bases already built and in a storage cabinet underwater. including Everything to build multiple new schooners as needed.    

Had a lot of luck building on a platform located under an arch at the top of trees.  Have one spot that is virtually invisible, just a pain to get to.  Eventually dropped a roll up ladder that concealed itself with tree trunks pretty well.  Tames take a lot of space.  They are like an advertisement for where you are at.  Never could keep a tame alive very long so I always ground out mats.   I know this is bad form and borderline glitching but break a large rock and set a cabinet.  When it respawns see what it looks like and break again if needed.  Schooner with 250 into resistance can last around 30 hours at freeport (unless they nerfed that), if your in lawless a freeport is close.  Nothing groundbreaking here.  Solo is rough in Atlas, but, it seems you already know that.  If they find it, it is gone.  Key to not rage quitting is to be able to rebuild very easily if they do find it.

I hated it, but can always go cold too.  Far north and south have a lot less players.  ALOT. 

Didn't read the whole thread and some/most of this could already have been mentioned ... gl.

This guy gets it..thanks for this

On 1/3/2019 at 7:02 AM, Talono said:

I disagree, even some smaller companies i attacked during the last days joined the major companies on their island... hehe for certain the price to wipe me out * evil chuckle*.

Solo you cant play with mortars in game, insane range, rate of fire like a gatling,  100% target hit without deviation, stone wall down in a few shots. They even hit you on the highest rock.

Ok ok I get it.  You attack others.  You like doing that.  This means you have lots of enemies.  You want an invincible base due to this.    You are a wanted man and no matter where you build or hide as long as you piss everyone else off you'll be on the run.  

GL!  🙂

Also what Bea and Elmo said were spot on.  I've not really played much solo, but those in my area that do adhere to these things and do quite well. 

On 10/29/2019 at 2:59 PM, Bea said:

Absolutely nothing? Have you tried maybe talking to them before you just plop something down on their land? Cause it sounds to me like you're sh*ting where you eat ><

As a solo player, I recommend you find a nice renter's island, or somewhere that is generally friendly to squatters. A short conversation with the island owners can go a long way. After that, just GO ELSEWHERE to do your pirating. Never a good idea to piss off your neighbors, especially, as you say, when there is a giant red circle showing them where you're hiding. 🙂

Many renter's communities (as others have mentioned) are quite active/strong. Often they have a community discord for communication, trading, and mutual defense. I think you might be confusing solo mmo play with single player play. Just because you don't want to be in a company doesn't mean you shouldn't utilize a community.

Being a solo player requires thoughtfulness in the way you play, build, and INTERACT with those around you.

Edited by DocHolliday

I think there should be an option to bury treasure, that has a marker only your company can see. Then if your company dissolves it becomes an open marker that everyone can see.

• Like 1

Here is my tips on how to solo or with only 3 people, this is how i always have survived.

1. Join the biggest company you can find

2. Use them to level up to 70-100+

3. Ditch them and venture alone or with a few friends.

4. Find a island that has alot of mountains and good enough resourcers.

5. Find a very hidden spot ontop of a mountain, if there is also trees up there which also can hide. Build your secret main base there

6. Build some storages under water. People never look for these unless they know you have one.

7. If you are not alone build nothing more than a schooner, and if you are alone only build sloops! People usally don't waste effort destroying sloops so they are good to have many of. Make sure that they have either small speed, small weight or medium speed.

8. Go out in the world and raid the shit out of everyone you see. Take all their loot and hide it somewhere. Under water or behind a bush. Then later you come with your sloop and pick them up.

9. Make a great company name and similar stuff that will make people think your company is bigger than it is. 

10. Form alliance with nearby solo companies, it can become useful having some allies so dont kill absolutely everyone you see:c

11. Make a decoy main base. In case you get attacked you build a fake base. Make it out of stone and do some effort to build it. Then place alot of chests, tables, chairs, furniture, make it look like this is your home. Just have a few of your resourcers there, not much. You will really just use this place to storage resourcers you find before moving it to your real base. Now when they have destroyed your fake base they think that they have completely ruin you. Now this gives you breathing area and can assess the situation. When its safe rebuild your decoy.

12. Become a settler of another island is also an option. Then you can be safe from anyone but the enemies of the company you are under. You don't have to worry about getting hunted down if you attack some other companies. Remember to have a very good relations with the company you are under though.

I think this covers most of it.

i am mostly a solo player, (i got 2 friends who play from time to time) but i managed to make a base ontop of a rock inbetween 2 higher rocks, i've made sure nobody can build near it with  a massive amount of stone fence supports, it's very defendable and after placing a warehouse there and market i managed to make enough gold to build a armoured dock and a schooner. but not before i used the respec to craft a lot of crewed cannons and puckles and placed them on strategic locations. now it's nearly impossible to raid the base, and even if they do it will take hours, maybe even a full day to get through