archaegeo

The "Things I Wish I Had Known Sooner" thread....(whats yours)?

Caveat that is an amazing thing to know. Wish i had known that after finding out i couldnt climb intk my boat lol

3 minutes ago, bluelance said:

Caveat that is an amazing thing to know. Wish i had known that after finding out i couldnt climb intk my boat lol

rope ladders are extremely useful for getting into anything bigger than a dinghy. Bigger ships have at least 5 snap points for them. Fore and aft on each side and one astern.

16 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

rope ladders are extremely useful for getting into anything bigger than a dinghy. Bigger ships have at least 5 snap points for them. Fore and aft on each side and one astern.

Ships automatically come with one at the back, or at least aloops do. Jump up on the back, look down and hold E. Tada magjcal invisible ladder!!!

So I just discovered a major one for me. Gold isn't mostly useless after all! It is needed along with mats to upgrade gear crafted from blueprints. When you craft an item from a blueprint, it will tell you how many times it can be upgraded and then show how much gold and mats required for each upgrade.

• Thanks 1

OP thanks for creating this thread btw. This is exactly the sort of thing that can make game forums an information gold mine for new and experienced players alike.

Instead of spamming left mouse button on a tree to hopefully get wood...use left and right mouse button one after another to use your magic punch and get more resources

• When anchored, NPC crew will do repairs if removed from sail/cannon and set to neutral and not follow (it looks like they are sweeping the deck)
  • In the Captaincy tree there is a ship storage chest that NPC's will use to conduct repairs, along with a Mess Food Locker that they will eat from
  • With a NPC on sails, Z is full stop, SPACEBAR is full go, LEFTSHIFT-A and LEFTSHIFT-D rotates sails.

• When on the wheel of a ship, hit X to drop anchor and close sails at same time if you see the light grey anchor symbol on right indicating its shallow enough

• Double Tapping M only takes out the compass
  • Holding M only takes out the map
  • Pressing M Once takes out both the Compass and Map
Edited by Zoin
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, archaegeo said:

You can whistle T at your boat to get the ladders down and Y to roll them back up.

oh my god... you are a saint. THANK YOU!!

40 minutes ago, Zoin said:
  • Double Tapping M only takes out the compass
  • Holding M only takes out the map
  • Pressing M Once takes out both the Compass and Map

OMG Zoin! Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

I found it interesting to learn while making a stone building that hatchets counterintuitively yield more stone when farming rocks than picks do. Too much flint with a pick and not enough stone. 

24 minutes ago, Highbinder said:

I found it interesting to learn while making a stone building that hatchets counterintuitively yield more stone when farming rocks than picks do. Too much flint with a pick and not enough stone. 

This is one of those things Ark veterans could have told you from the get go. It’s useful to have a good knowledge on which tools max which mats when harvesting. Example pick gives more meat while hatchet gives more hide.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Caveat said:

You can whistle T at your boat to get the ladders down and Y to roll them back up.

I want to make sweet love to your face.

20 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This is one of those things Ark veterans could have told you from the get go. It’s useful to have a good knowledge on which tools max which mats when harvesting. Example pick gives more meat while hatchet gives more hide.

Yeah, I’ve figured out those, but never having played ARK and joining a bunch a friends who had the initial buildings done, I never needed much stone. Started building something yesterday I recalled something a read in patch notes awhile back and gave the axe a try. To my surprise it was better than the pick for stone. Still seems chopping rocks with an axe is a bit counterintuitive, but good to know since it’s entirely likely there are others who may not have realized this. 

Edited by Highbinder

As a cook and an Ark veteran, one thing they have changed about farming but which can catch you off guard is that some plants can be grown as crops and others cannot. Combine this with the fact that no biome  supports all crops either wild or growable and cooks should be aware that the number of things you can actually cook without doing either significant trading or exploration is extremely limited, so don’t spend points going deep into this tree until you’ve secured a lot of ingredients.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of HUGE quality of life ones I figured out.

You can use F to open the inventory screen of anything, bypassing radial menu.

• Directly opens tame inventory (even while riding)
  • Directly opens ship properties/level-up screen
  • Directly opens Forge/Grill

For anyone that harvests with tames and needs to drop trash:

In tame inventory, search for undesired item so it is the only thing showing, then hit "Drop all". You just dropped 10,000 berries with one click and left the rest untouched!

Interesting thing to be aware of, but does require a decent amount of skills. You can teleport into a Freeport naked and leave on a Ramshackle Sloop with an NPC manned Medium sail in 30-60mins. First, punch stuff until you can build stone pick/hatchet and spears. Gather what you need to buy Ramshackle, move it to the side and anchor it. Demolish the small sails (you don't get anything). Build a bed, Loom and Smithy on the ship. Work towards building a medium speed sail, also build a shovel. Take the shovel and dig in sand that gives you Sandstone/Salt/Gold. Dig until you get 5 gold coins (takes a few mins depending on luck). Hire your NPC and sail on out. You can loot a couple of flotsam a day to get enough food and gold to keep your NPC happy (put gold/food in their inventory directly).

Leaving Freeport when starting fresh don't sail for 4 hours thinking your farther away from everyone to get the nice piece of land because there are many freeports all  over the map and you just wasted 4 hours and ended up at another freeport and realise there is no land left cause you just sailed 4 hours while others moved one grid over and got land.😂

Crew Storage Boxes do not have a maximum capacity will stack every resource up to 500,000.  Use this to hold all of your harvestables instead of large boxes.  These guys only hold harvestable material and gold.