Madam Doomkitten

PvE ship damage vs PvP ship damage

Hey all,

Just lost another schooner tonight due to grief-sinking which got me thinking about ideas as to improve the current system. 

What do you guys think about for PvE, ships don't take damage when over-encumbered, they just can't move period and are at a dead stop. I think it's pretty silly that a ship can so easily be destroyed by a few extra kgs. This solves a few issues:

1. people can't all jump onto a ship and sink it through the weight difference

2. prevents people from deliberately sinking ships for wreck diving salvage

3. it would adhere to the expected PvE ruleset which is why people typically roll on PvE servers to begin with

As for PvP servers:

I think the damage should be severely nerfed to something in the realm of 1-50 damage per tick (depending on the weight being applied) OR vastly increase the time between ticks so it doesn't make a ship sinkable in a few minutes. 

1. this allows people to have a reasonable amount of time to respond to threats and actually make use of ship and player battles

I know people will counter this with the people on rafts that grief dry-docked ships from launching by blocking the path, but what about pushing another ship causes drift?

Edited by Madam Doomkitten
  • Like 2

I like the idea of encumbrance being a tick damage, but in regards to the griefing. I think this could be solved by making an enclosure for your ship. 

An enclosure could work but with how precious real estate is and a shipyard demanding quite a bit of space the bigger they get, I'm not sure how viable that could be. 

Edited by Madam Doomkitten

27 minutes ago, Madam Doomkitten said:

An enclosure could work but with how precious real estate is and a shipyard demanding quite a bit of space the bigger they get, I'm not sure how viable that could be. 

Real Estate likely is a big deal. When I look at the claim map at https://map.playatlas.com/ I don't see a lot of spread on the map. Is it because you are sharing a particular island with a company?

4 minutes ago, Madam Doomkitten said:

Yeah, we're currently in a lawless zone with several solo players and companies. 

I understand completely. I am thinking about moving out myself from lawless after checking these interactive maps. People made it sound like everything was all claimed, but it seems like there is still a lot of room out there.

I like this solution. I don't think an anchored ship should take damage though because of over encumbrance in PvP or PvE. @Hector of Troy if you know where there is some territory, pm me! We are looking for 1 or 2 claims to call home and build our docks at.

11 hours ago, Hector of Troy said:

I understand completely. I am thinking about moving out myself from lawless after checking these interactive maps. People made it sound like everything was all claimed, but it seems like there is still a lot of room out there.

Those maps only show the top ten biggest companies. My grid is completely claimed by an alliance of smaller companies. Most are. 

Edit to add: We're a group of older gamers using TeamSpeak if any of you are looking to team up. 

Edited by TheSzerdi

Had a shower thought last night about ways to keep it interesting when people get on your ship. I was thinking about the monkeys and parrots in the game and thought it'd be cool if you could set them aboard your ship as an "alarm system" if you will, and they'd trigger an on-screen alert that trespassers were aboard your ship. Could give them another interesting utility, plus it'd keep some of the semi-realism in the game. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:27 AM, Madam Doomkitten said:

Hey all,

Just lost another schooner tonight due to grief-sinking which got me thinking about ideas as to improve the current system. 

What do you guys think about for PvE, ships don't take damage when over-encumbered, they just can't move period and are at a dead stop. I think it's pretty silly that a ship can so easily be destroyed by a few extra kgs. This solves a few issues:

1. people can't all jump onto a ship and sink it through the weight difference

2. prevents people from deliberately sinking ships for wreck diving salvage

3. it would adhere to the expected PvE ruleset which is why people typically roll on PvE servers to begin with

As for PvP servers:

I think the damage should be severely nerfed to something in the realm of 1-50 damage per tick (depending on the weight being applied) OR vastly increase the time between ticks so it doesn't make a ship sinkable in a few minutes. 

1. this allows people to have a reasonable amount of time to respond to threats and actually make use of ship and player battles

I know people will counter this with the people on rafts that grief dry-docked ships from launching by blocking the path, but what about pushing another ship causes drift?

I have to agree with the PVE suggestion. It makes the most sense. I would add the suggestion of what they do with Ark for players getting on platform saddles, where they slide off. With what you suggested and then that it would probably reduce the ship sinking griefing completely until the next bug is found.

The PVP suggestion sounds very reasonable as well.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:50 AM, Hector of Troy said:

There are many places, but with the current problem with the claim system its hard to tell who has left or not. Also the "Dynamic" over world map showing territories doesn't show smaller company claims. Just the really big ones, so it's hard to tell what is taken and what isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloo_Nebula said:

I have to agree with the PVE suggestion. It makes the most sense. I would add the suggestion of what they do with Ark for players getting on platform saddles, where they slide off. With what you suggested and then that it would probably reduce the ship sinking griefing completely until the next bug is found.

The PVP suggestion sounds very reasonable as well.

There are many places, but with the current problem with the claim system its hard to tell who has left or not. Also the "Dynamic" over world map showing territories doesn't show smaller company claims. Just the really big ones, so it's hard to tell what is taken and what isn't.

Definitely understood that the map only shows the biggest, meaning that the areas are not as well protected. I don't plan on getting a claim for free.

7 hours ago, Hector of Troy said:

Definitely understood that the map only shows the biggest, meaning that the areas are not as well protected. I don't plan on getting a claim for free.

Oh yeah, I was just pointing it out just in case!