Sign in to follow this  
Rottin

Way to resolve players sinking ships on PVE

I would like to make the suggestion of making it to where when you board an enemy company's ship on the PVE servers it flags you attackable (PVP) while on the ship and a short duration afterwards. I know PVE servers and for PVE but it would be a way for people to defend against people swarming their ships with a lot of weight and sinking them. As of now on PVE all you can do is watch. This would be similar to how World of Warcraft PVE servers used to function. PVE with a way to toggle your self PVP. No one on the PVE servers would ever be forced to participate in PVP. You can even make it to where people can go up to another players ship, hold(e) and request to board, then the captain can give permission and the person will be boarded without being flagged for pvp, but if they get on any other way (just loading up with weight and jumping on to sink the ship) they will be flagged killable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I absolutely second this; it will no doubt turn away potential players who are unable to reciprocate or prevent any use of this exploit... all they can do is watch as days of hard work sink into the abyss.  There must be a way to deter this behavior.  Furthermore, it seems rather unrealistic that 5 heavily laden people are able to scuttle a schooner.  It would make more sense to either increase the carry weight of the ships or drastically reduce what players can carry on their person.  The best method by far would be to add an engaging game-play mechanic such as what Rottin is suggesting, which would introduce a fun nautical themed role play element while also deterring bad behavior in an otherwise consequence-free environment.

• Like 3

I disagree. I play PVE because I don't want to PVP. We shouldn't have retribution options on PVE, we should have protection.

The solution is utterly trivial. Ark already has code that prevents non-tribe people from landing on a platform saddle. That code could easily be set such that out-of-tribe people, animals and dropped items simply bounce off a vessel. In the case that you want to give a lift to someone not in your company, an option to "permit passengers" could be added to the radial menu. If that's active (and should be inactive by default) then the weight of those passengers counts as expected.

Combine that with setting all containers on PVE servers to be lockable and locked by default (the way it should've been in PVE) and BAM! No more overload griefing.

• Like 2

I really like this idea, or at least make is so they have to have permission to be able to get on your boat. SOMETHING has to happen its getting ridiculous watching days of hard work sink and nothing you can do about it.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrevorJD said:

I disagree. I play PVE because I don't want to PVP. We shouldn't have retribution options on PVE, we should have protection.

The solution is utterly trivial. Ark already has code that prevents non-tribe people from landing on a platform saddle. That code could easily be set such that out-of-tribe people, animals and dropped items simply bounce off a vessel. In the case that you want to give a lift to someone not in your company, an option to "permit passengers" could be added to the radial menu. If that's active (and should be inactive by default) then the weight of those passengers counts as expected.

Combine that with setting all containers on PVE servers to be lockable and locked by default (the way it should've been in PVE) and BAM! No more overload griefing.

You have a point, and I agree.  People who have chosen to play on a PvE server have made the decision before stepping foot on land to forego the elements of gameplay that revolve around PvP.  I think Rottin's suggestion is an attempt to retain some realism, but yes, there could be ways to exploit that solution as well; to force people into PvP situations that would otherwise avoid it.  A very valid concern indeed.

• Like 1