Xandraax

The ghost ships and claims are killing the game

Why am I looking at 6, yes 6, ghost ships right now while on my Sloop? I thought you guys reduced spawn. I'm starting to not have things to do because sailing is out of the question if I can't get anywhere. At this point the only thing I can tame is Tigers. I can't leave my lawless island (I have to live here because everything is claimed) due to GHOST SHITS so I can't tame anything else because the resources aren't here. Also why is treasure on the claimable islands? It should be on the lawless to give people a reason to go to the lawless. This makes all the lawless islands pointless after you claim. Why leave when you have EVERYTHING? May I suggest only a certain amount of claims per person? That way Companies can have more space but us little guys can still play.

Although my annoyance level is high. I do LOVE this game, I already have 103 hours on it. I would like to feel the Ghost Ships are a rarer spawn. I should be saying "Oh SHIT a Ghost Ship!" no "oh great another Ghost Ship...oh look 4 more!

**** I wanted to update this after doing some traveling. The SOTD are actually quite easy to outrun at this point. We have been using a Sloop with a medium sail and It can outrun an actual cannon blast from the SOTD. The sailing takes FOREVER but the game is playable now. GOOD JOB DEVS! 🙂 The claims still suck but, I am finding living on lawless and going out isnt too bad. I don't have to worry about claims and everything takes a while to decay. And with logging in daily My stuff will always be claimed. 

Edited by Xandraax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its Ships of the Damned you see everywhere, no one has seen Ghost ship on official servers yet, its rather unique endgame encounter

The ships of the Damned doesnt seem to do much harm lately either, they just sail in circles and seem fairly easy to avoid

The claims are pain though, terrible for PvE especially

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rage Ironfist said:

The ships of the Damned doesnt seem to do much harm lately either, they just sail in circles and seem fairly easy to avoid

Avoiding on open water is one thing, but when they sit on the zone borders, you're screwed. I lost 2 ships this way. The spawn rate is supposed to be low now. I don't understand how they always seem to be waiting for me on the other side of a zone wall.

• Like 4

Still happening? I sailed trough 6 zones last night and it didnt happen to me, thought it was fixed. Still not safe then

Edited by Rage Ironfist
  • Like 1

I was on as I was writing this. And my bad, I meant the Ship of the Damned not Ghost Ship. I have tried to contest the claims as well and the people are still on. Luckily though things aren't decaying that fast on Lawless yet.I would just really like to tame some different animals.

To be fair while yes they are still grouping in clusters of 5-6 at times their aggro range is so small i can literal get within punching distance of them and still not be attacked by them which is much better than when they attack you the sec they rendered on your screen.

No they are not. The ghost ships have been turned down by 50% and have about 70% reduced agro range now. The claim system is the very basis of the game. Its not bad. You just are not used to it. Yes everything is claimed. But this is not a single player game. You have to join someone. If you don't you are not going to have a good time. Its just gonna be you vs the world and the world will win.

• Haha 1

Ghost ships are insanely annoying, but they aren't nearly as threatening as they were. There definitely ought to be far less of them around. I wouldn't say they're "killing the game," but it does make sailing extremely tedious. The ridiculous server lag is what's really killing it for me at the moment.

still way too many ships of the damned I counted 25 sailing through a small section of a square today and at numerous times there were 6-7 surrounding me. Spred them the hell out a bit.

I don’t nearly encounter as much ships as before, I can sail through 3 grids with only seeing 2-3.. People do know you need to wipe them out before the spawn rate takes affect? If nobody on your grid/in your area kills them, they’ll stick around in those numbers. We’ve been farming them and pretty much gone now in comparison to couple days ago. 

Edited by Percieval

1 minute ago, Percieval said:

I don’t nearly encounter as much ships as before, I can sail through 3 grids with only seeing 2-3.. People do know you need to wipe them out before the spawn rate takes affect? If nobody on your grid/in your area kills them, they’ll stick around in those numbers. We’ve been farming them and pretty much gone now in comparison to couple days ago. 

GS wipes them each time they reboot the servers. As well as every other "dino".

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

GS wipes them each time they reboot the servers. As well as every other "dino".

We still needed to wipe them after the 60% reduction. 

33 minutes ago, Percieval said:

We still needed to wipe them after the 60% reduction. 

I think there is still an issue with spawn weights. My island is littered with alphas and twice there have been SoD's just off shore that all vanish the moment they redeploy. 7.3 and 8.0 were the instances with SoD's and both were spawn reduction patches that certainly wiped all AI. Every patch in between has also wiped all life on our island. Then 10 minutes later it rains snakes.

Edit: Hence the need for this: - NPC Trading Ships are back and no longer affected by wild creature destruction commands! 

Edited by Nari

I seen 19th SOTD ships in the same cell yesterday ... Was cool !! And on a private server (Admin didn't touch the spawn rate, he let it as it was on official) ... Ridiculous.

EDIT : And yeah, still playing on a Private server that isn't as bullshit as official servers, for some reason people are way nicer than official and i didn't see anyone having more than 2 claims 🙂

So there is a real problem with the community toxicity ingame if we can see the difference like that.

Edited by HANABI

So ... I tryed to go against an SOTD with my fully armed and crewed Schooner (14 canons) ... Lost the ship in the battle but still sunk the ennemy ship, it's still wpieces of shit, they are way too OP for even a Schooner ... RIDICULOUS !!

I'm okay to take damage but my ship got sunk so easily, it's CRAZY (And i stayed perfectly in sight so i could get the most dps possible but nope ... SOTD too strong) ... TOTAL PLANK DESTROYED : 4 TOTAL LEAK IN MY HULL : 6 HOW THE FUCK ARE WE ABLE TO DEAL WITH THAT ?

How the fuck is it playable and fun ? I have experience in terms of naviguation controls, ATLAS is really simple compared to Naval Action wich is a pain in the ass to put your hands on and way more complex.

In Naval Action wich is a TRUE SIMULATION, a battle can last beetween 5 minutes (Really short and 1H30) ... Mine lasted 1 minute in ATLAS, so fun !! I'm on private server and it still took me 5hours to prepare it ... 5 HOURS GRIND FOR 1 MINUTE OF FUN PIRATY GAMEPLAY ?

FUCK YOU GRAPESHOT

Atleast in Naval Action, you have a big grind, but when you're high level you can get any ship you want without any problem so you get what you worked for ... In this game, it's just : NOPE, you get nothing biatch, go punch some tree so you can get sunk again, that's what pirates do, right ?

Edited by HANABI

6 hours ago, HANABI said:

So ... I tryed to go against an SOTD with my fully armed and crewed Schooner (14 canons) ... Lost the ship in the battle but still sunk the ennemy ship, it's still wpieces of shit, they are way too OP for even a Schooner ... RIDICULOUS !!

I'm okay to take damage but my ship got sunk so easily, it's CRAZY (And i stayed perfectly in sight so i could get the most dps possible but nope ... SOTD too strong) ... TOTAL PLANK DESTROYED : 4 TOTAL LEAK IN MY HULL : 6 HOW THE FUCK ARE WE ABLE TO DEAL WITH THAT ?

How the fuck is it playable and fun ? I have experience in terms of naviguation controls, ATLAS is really simple compared to Naval Action wich is a pain in the ass to put your hands on and way more complex.

In Naval Action wich is a TRUE SIMULATION, a battle can last beetween 5 minutes (Really short and 1H30) ... Mine lasted 1 minute in ATLAS, so fun !! I'm on private server and it still took me 5hours to prepare it ... 5 HOURS GRIND FOR 1 MINUTE OF FUN PIRATY GAMEPLAY ?

FUCK YOU GRAPESHOT

Atleast in Naval Action, you have a big grind, but when you're high level you can get any ship you want without any problem so you get what you worked for ... In this game, it's just : NOPE, you get nothing biatch, go punch some tree so you can get sunk again, that's what pirates do, right ?

You need to have supplies to replace broken panels as well not just repair dmged ones. Also it is possible to kill them with a decked out schooner my company only uses schooners right now because of the BS with how easy ships can be sunk with metal tools and fire arrows. But we go out all the time and kill lvl 1-6 SOTD maybe your just attack way to many at a time or way to high lvl ones. We did lose a schooner to one because some idiots try to attack a lvl 18 SOTD with it and they got deleted because it did 3x the dmg as the lower lvls and 3x the HP.

Ship of the damned are pretty easy to take down, schooners can if prepared with repair materials and 3 cannons per side (saw cletus and crew do it earlier to a level 10 green boat 45k hp)

Claim syteme need to be changed with a limitation for Compagny and Ghost Ship ... hey we need they on PVE dont remove them 🙂 

I still feel the claiming system is shit. I shouldn't have to join a random group. I'm sorry I don't want to join all the "Rawr" groups all over. I'm 25 not 12. 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:07 PM, wakko151 said:

If you don't you are not going to have a good time. Its just gonna be you vs the world and the world will win.

Not too toot my own horn, but according to the forums, I won December 27th, so at least in my case, and at least once, me vs the world, I won.

Also I love you Wacko, why won't you answer my texts?

And what's all this about a restraining order?

11 minutes ago, Xandraax said:

I still feel the claiming system is shit. I shouldn't have to join a random group. I'm sorry I don't want to join all the "Rawr" groups all over. I'm 25 not 12. 

Interviews with Jeremy and Jess prior to release indicated they want to put in incentives which would make it advantageous for companies with significant claimed land to have you as a protected tenant, rather than just kill you. I suspect one of the weaknesses with the current system, which I agree is disapointing at best, is that those features aren't in yet. When or if they get put in is anybody's guess at this point, but if done right they could go a long way towards mitigating that problem.

Well, the SoD are still a problem, mean..., never had a problem with them as if they sank our ship, they are slow and have low agro range, atleast the green ones. Even survived bombardment 2 times on just a raft and then outran them escaping just from their nose however it takes a full wind to do that so maye not be a prefered direction. The problem with them is they are everywhere, not rare and the fact is either being too weak and have to go all arround them wasting tons of time (or go thro them and risk lossing ship or taking damage when outracing them) or being strong to not care about them at all as if they were nothing special. They should we stronger but much rare and stop camping the edges of the map.

16 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Interviews with Jeremy and Jess prior to release indicated they want to put in incentives which would make it advantageous for companies with significant claimed land to have you as a protected tenant, rather than just kill you. I suspect one of the weaknesses with the current system, which I agree is disapointing at best, is that those features aren't in yet. When or if they get put in is anybody's guess at this point, but if done right they could go a long way towards mitigating that problem.

How they gonna do it?, it will always be better to swallow that land than have a small party/solo ally. Even if they set cap on flags, they woul just make smaller tribes under command of the main one and still swallow the small guy.

32 minutes ago, Nightstrasza said:

How they gonna do it?, it will always be better to swallow that land than have a small party/solo ally. Even if they set cap on flags, they woul just make smaller tribes under command of the main one and still swallow the small guy.

How is anyone's guess, but when you assert always, you're doing so only under the existing system or systems you're familiar with in the past. The key would be creating a system where the benefit of having a tenant outweighs other options. I don't know yet what such a system would be, or even if they effectively can come up with one, and frankly it's something I'm a little skeptical of given their track record with Ark, but incentives dictate behavior to a degree most people underestimate. I guess we shall see whether that was just pie in the sky talk or not by the end of EA. I'm rooting for them, but I'm not holding my breathe.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

How is anyone's guess, but when you assert always, you're doing so only under the existing system or systems you're familiar with in the past. The key would be creating a system where the benefit of having a tenant outweighs other options. I don't know yet what such a system would be, or even if they effectively can come up with one, and frankly it's something I'm a little skeptical of given their track record with Ark, but incentives dictate behavior to a degree most people underestimate. I guess we shall see whether that was just pie in the sky talk or not by the end of EA. I'm rooting for them, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Hope they will come up with something as when was waiting for the game to release wanted to be some rare supplies merchant, setting on a tiny island (like in cartoons wiht one palm lol, tho maybe not as radiculously small) and trade with various companies and other small groups while not engaging in combat preferably. Right now almost all islands are pretty big, most if not all claimed, they all have the same resources with exceptions like tundra lacks sap and most of their islands have no fiber but those are basic reosurces, not some exotics, they don't need us, they get almost everything on their main island and if missing something, that's propably on the island nearby and gonna just send a gathering party. That's why sticking to the pve, don't like lossing stuff, especialy in an offline raid so as long as offline raiding exist propably will never pick pvp server unless there would be ppl from those companies that trading with that would protect the house when not being online like some guards lol.