BitterAsteroid

Why All of the Hate

So i have been reading a lot of posts about how this game is shit and it sucks. A lot of the complaining involves how buggy the game is. You do realize that this is an early access game and these issues are to be expected and the devs are constantly updating the game to make it more playable. It will take time people. As for the OP ships i agree that the ghost ships are way to OP but im sure with time these things will be fixed. The only concern i have is that they are kind of trying to force multiplayer by making a skill cap and not allowing one person to be able to unlock all of the skills. I think that we should be able to play solo and use an NPC crew to sail the seas if we want to. The reason that i say that is because when you join a group of people you have to do what everyone wants and not just what you want. I didnt buy this game for that reason. I have my own objectives and would like to find my own treasure, build my own city, and thrive by myself without relying on the skills of others. That being said i dont mind helping out the occasional person that i see on the islands. Just stating that i really am enjoying this game and cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Someone finally on the games side. We need to remember this game is pretty much a alpha/beta phase of a game. We used to not be able to play games at this time and point. 

I'm happy to play something that will grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BitterAsteroid said:

So i have been reading a lot of posts about how this game is shit and it sucks. A lot of the complaining involves how buggy the game is. You do realize that this is an early access game and these issues are to be expected and the devs are constantly updating the game to make it more playable. It will take time people. As for the OP ships i agree that the ghost ships are way to OP but im sure with time these things will be fixed. The only concern i have is that they are kind of trying to force multiplayer by making a skill cap and not allowing one person to be able to unlock all of the skills. I think that we should be able to play solo and use an NPC crew to sail the seas if we want to. The reason that i say that is because when you join a group of people you have to do what everyone wants and not just what you want. I didnt buy this game for that reason. I have my own objectives and would like to find my own treasure, build my own city, and thrive by myself without relying on the skills of others. That being said i dont mind helping out the occasional person that i see on the islands. Just stating that i really am enjoying this game and cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us in the future.

Cool dude, glad you are enjoying it.

quick info though. A lot of the people here don’t “hate” the game. Most of them “hate” or very much dislike the dev company that made it.

they are very justified in that sense. If they just hate the game, ok, then yeah I get you.

not usually the case though. They are pissed because wildcard is being its usual self and not doing what actually needs to be done. This company thinks up certain ideas that they don’t even have the mental capacity for in the first place.

how they even thought they could get 40k on a server was just stupid. If you really couple that up with the other problems this company has they are actually very correct when it comes to how mad they are.

can the game end up good? Sure it can. In my opinion will it? Probably not. The reason for that is that wildcard is up to their usual tricks and they are a very crappy dev company. 

So to end this I am glad you are having fun. There are a lot though that don’t. All I ask is that you give the same understanding to those that you would want to understand your post 👍

3 minutes ago, KingLlama said:

Thank you, Someone finally on the games side. We need to remember this game is pretty much a alpha/beta phase of a game. We used to not be able to play games at this time and point. 

I'm happy to play something that will grow.

Nope. Can’t agree with this. Nobody is against the game. A good amount of people are against the corrupt company that made the game. I am not hear saying anything bad about the game as a whole.

the thing is even after early access of ark this same dev company treated their own game very badly. Once you understand that then you will understand that people are not against the game.

10 minutes ago, Realist said:

Nope. Can’t agree with this. Nobody is against the game. A good amount of people are against the corrupt company that made the game. I am not hear saying anything bad about the game as a whole.

the thing is even after early access of ark this same dev company treated their own game very badly. Once you understand that then you will understand that people are not against the game.

Fair enough, I get that. I'm still going to be hopeful even though I saw Ark release expansion in EA and other known problems. I feel they could be on a better track though with admitting fault and patching daily unless thats what they did with Ark release also until later.

7 minutes ago, KingLlama said:

Fair enough, I get that. I'm still going to be hopeful even though I saw Ark release expansion in EA and other known problems. I feel they could be on a better track though with admitting fault and patching daily unless thats what they did with Ark release also until later.

I am cool with that too. I don’t want anyone to totally disbelieve wildcard even though I do, I just try to help people by showing them that some skepticism will go along way with this company and save a lot of disappointment in the future

• Thanks 1

Never played Ark, or anything made by this company... but I am curious and want to understand the player base and those who come from an Ark background. If you dislike the company and they have a past history of (fill in the blank), why purchase Atlas on early access? Was it just hoping it would change or be a different thing? I guess ultimately I am wondering what I'm in for, as I struggle with the gather, build, lose it all, start over game play and don't know if my hopes are misplaced. 

5 hours ago, BitterAsteroid said:

Me too mate -- I think its prolyl the best survival game out there and ive played a few. There are a few troubles sure .. its certainly a love hate relationship but hey if it wasn't hard you wouldn't keep coming back trying to beat it. Please fix the tiny shipyard bug though so I can build a dinghy. it would also be awesome of the sloop could TOW a dinghy somehow.

J

Edited by hands solo

Because the game revolves around sailing and most of us feel that the risk to sailing far outweighs the reward. With the adition of SoD sailing is also way too much of a time investment. Sailing across two tiles weaving in and out of these things with no hope of alt tabbing for 5 minutes to have a piss.. No thanks for this guy, and most people ive spoken to as well. 

But hey maybe the game just isnt for us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BitterAsteroid said:

Play on a personal server! Issue resolved! You can't play this game without people so join a company you anti social person. 

5 hours ago, Maar said:

Never played Ark, or anything made by this company... but I am curious and want to understand the player base and those who come from an Ark background. If you dislike the company and they have a past history of (fill in the blank), why purchase Atlas on early access? Was it just hoping it would change or be a different thing? I guess ultimately I am wondering what I'm in for, as I struggle with the gather, build, lose it all, start over game play and don't know if my hopes are misplaced. 

Most of us are desperate for a good pirate game to play with friends.  These devs have a knack for latching onto what will grab an audience (dinos in ark and pirates here).  We're kinda just sitting and seeing where they take us these next few years.  Although I'm rather annoyed we have no idea what their design philosophy is for Atlas since atm it's just a pirate Ark core.

Honestly Ark and Atlas can be truly great with fairly minor changes, hence the sheer number of private servers for Ark.  Basically the devs are completely fine with player vs offline being a thing, losing all your progress and starting completely from scratch being the norm, large group play being the focus, huge time dumps, and balancing == a huge grind.  Many players are fine with this and enjoy the challenge.  Others work and just want a fun experience and are hoping some of these will be changed or softened in the final release.  Or that private servers will be just as big of a thing for Atlas.

My 2 cents anyways.

Edited by Kyorin
  • Like 2

The real question is why do you people allow such releases from well known dev teams? You demand more, then they will have to change their business tactics and do more. You sit here defending them, hiding behind the "early access" title and you dont sit to think that maybe they could have fucking done better?

This dev team worked on Ark. Ark on release also has time out issues and under estimation of population. Shit before this game even came out I told my friends in discord 40k wouldn't even be close enough for release. It doesn't take a genius to figure that shit out. And it was made ever worse by lying to the users and finding out its only 150 pop per server simply connected in a cluster (which isnt fucking new technology btw)

They delayed and delayed and delayed. Which is fine but dont delay 3 times then release the game and end up running into the worst release of 2018.

Everyone then tries to defend them on the fact that some of these issues couldn't have been caught before the servers weren't under load. Guess what? Its called a free weekend stress test. You open the game for free to public for a few days and stress test your shit to figure out the major issues before you release it. Tons of companies do this... it is very common practice. But no, they released the game one day prior to a handful of streamers then said "yep its good to go lets release it" and basically shit over everyone faces.

There is no excuse for a dev team this experienced and has worked on large games like Ark to have learned completely nothing from their previous games and just run into exactly the same issues. It is unacceptable even for Early Access release.

Early Access at the core of the game should be functional. How can you say it was even close to that, when half of everyone couldn't even spawn in for 3 days and rubber banding like a mofo? It wasn't even close to playable or acceptable for an early access release.

Demand more as players and we will start receiving better products right out the gate. I much have rather them say "oh we are going to delay it for another month or two to work out issues" then could have had a smoother release, rather them rushing it out. Why did they even rush it? Because money. 

Edited by Andro Bourne
  • Like 4

I dont hate the game  i just hate the developer for not land locking the NA server from laggy chinese that bounce all over thr place and can't be hit like a non laggy player, also hate them for making the game so much like ark it's hard to tell the difference...   unless your on water..  but I'm managing to enjoy it besides the stupid developer decisions

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BitterAsteroid said:

Often people choose low hanging fruit to vent their anger and frustration at, and they do this for a variety of reasons.

1. These are legitimate complaints, and they know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  2. They don't want to say what's really bothering them, for fear of an out of control debate, or somebody ridiculing them with something like a "Git Gud," comment, or worse.
  3. They may not even know why they are frustrated...they just know that they are.

For instance, many people had huge problems with Mass Effect Andromeda, but nearly all the hate was directed at the animations...because it was easy, safe, low hanging fruit that you could criticize without being attacked for your criticism.  Nobody could defend the animations.  The real issues were way deeper than that, and this is proven by the fast that after the animations were fixed, the hate continued.  But that is a whole other debate.

Right now, the issue is that people did not come here to play another ARK.  They just didn't.  They came for the ships, and they are frustrated by the fact that they spend huge amounts of time doing ARK things, and almost no time sailing ships.  I would say this is the main issue.

The second issue is that most people do not want to play in a Mega Company, being a slave, locked into one tiny aspect of the game, with the hopes that as a result, you get to go do some PvP once a week.  Sorry, I have a real job.  I am not looking for a game that does what it appears they are trying to do here, and if it does happen, I won't stay.  Maybe in some unofficial server, where you can fix every screwed of Dev decision through options and mods, but as it stands, only somebody who wants to be a slave in a Mega Company would want to be on official.  I'm actually having a reasonable good time on an unofficial.

The third issue is how broken so many things seem to be.  You say that his is to be expected.  I say BS.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that we didn't come here to battle modern navy ships with our 16th to17th century ships.  That's what a SotD is.  It's not what I am looking for, and I guarantee you that if they made an announcement that SotD were being removed from the game for good, a collective cheer would go up from the majority.  It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that they were way too OP.  Why start with them being so plentiful and so OP?  What was to be learned from that?  Why allow wolves to hit so hard when you are wearing full metal armor?  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this is wrong.  Why make the most necessary resource...fiber...so difficult to find.  I cringe every time somebody says, "we need more fiber."  It's just a total pain. It saps my enjoyment of the game.  People are tired of EA being the excuse for every bad decision.

6 hours ago, hands solo said:

Me too mate -- I think its prolyl the best survival game out there and ive played a few. There are a few troubles sure .. its certainly a love hate relationship but hey if it wasn't hard you wouldn't keep coming back trying to beat it. Please fix the tiny shipyard bug though so I can build a dinghy. it would also be awesome of the sloop could TOW a dinghy somehow.

J

I wouldn't call this the best survival game, nor is ARK.  Do I want the game to be easy?  No.  Do I want it to be tedious, or frustrating?  No.

Hitting a stone 10 times to get a small amount of resources, as opposed to hitting it a few times and getting the same or more resources, is not hard, or challenging, it's tedious.  This is why I would never join a Mega Tribe/Company.  The first time somebody handed me a tool and told me to go mine something, I would tell him where to shove that tool.  I value my time more than some people, it would seem.  I have more pride than to be a slave in a Mega.

There is also nothing challenging about a Mega doing an offline raid against a smaller group.  And here's the kicker..that's not even PvP.  It boggles my mind why some even think it's PvP.  It's simply not.  I am getting to the point that I think many people are hiding from real PvP by playing "PvP" in games like this.  Here's what would be amazing....the Megas actually arrange fights between each other with roughly equal numbers.  That's real PvP.  Even a 3 vs 4 chance encounter is PvP.  Anything short of that, just is not.

I suppose that when you bring 20 people and there is a lone defender, that is technically PvP.  If you feel good about it, you are the type that will mount a mouse you caught with a mouse trap, on your trophy wall.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Realist said:

Cool dude, glad you are enjoying it.

quick info though. A lot of the people here don’t “hate” the game. Most of them “hate” or very much dislike the dev company that made it.

they are very justified in that sense. If they just hate the game, ok, then yeah I get you.

not usually the case though. They are pissed because wildcard is being its usual self and not doing what actually needs to be done. This company thinks up certain ideas that they don’t even have the mental capacity for in the first place.

how they even thought they could get 40k on a server was just stupid. If you really couple that up with the other problems this company has they are actually very correct when it comes to how mad they are.

can the game end up good? Sure it can. In my opinion will it? Probably not. The reason for that is that wildcard is up to their usual tricks and they are a very crappy dev company. 

So to end this I am glad you are having fun. There are a lot though that don’t. All I ask is that you give the same understanding to those that you would want to understand your post 👍

Whut? Most of them complain about game mechanics, not de devs. That’s you in every topic, that doesn’t make them ‘hate’ the devs. Some are, but not ‘most of them’. 

Edited by Percieval

Yeah the devs are dumb, the game is full of bugs and the launch was the worst I've ever seen

but the game is still fun as fuck and all the crybabies who ragequit for whatever reason will never get to have as much fun as I had sinking a galleon and 3 brigs in a schooner today

Edited by MightySheep
  • Like 1