Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

So has anyone actually found any real quests?

I've been thinking this morning (always a dangerous activity before coffee), and a thought struck me. I haven't even heard of anyone doing quests, much less come across any myself, other than treasure maps. Yet this is one of the most basic systems of an MMORPG, questing. I have a hypothesis now, that this might link back to the creature OPness and the SOTD no one likes.  Personally I strongly suspect that Atlas's EA was rushed out in order to garner revenue during the key consumer spending month of December, when kids have the most free time to play with school being out. If this is the case, given that there seems to be at a minimum a serious dearth of questing content (possibly none, please post if you're aware of any), it makes me wonder if the true function of the OP creatures and Ships of the Damned everywhere isn't a stalling tactic to keep us busy dealing with them so we don't notice there isn't any real content to do.  Pvpers will always fight each other generating some content, but even they want something to change it up and pve the devs had to know that even with 700 islands, available land to build on would be gone within days, that's just simple math. So most people dont' have base building to occupy them, and if you build a ship, you need a reason to sail it somewhere. You can only do treasure maps for so long, especially given there is precious little to even spend your gold on at this point.

So has anyone come across questing content? Am I just missing it, or might there be something to my theory?

Its is a MMO, not a MMORPG, there is a difference.

But even if a MMORPG, quests are not a requirement.  Players could make all the quests they want and provide rewards, thats the RP part of MMORPG.

I dont know why you would even want the go here, kill 5 of these things, come back type quests, they are boring.

Rather some company should say, "Go get me the head of the dread pirate burkeblack and I will reward you 1000 gold" etc.

10 minutes ago, Znick said:

It's a sandbox, not theme park.

Z

Even in a sandbox youll sometimes find a buried treasure in your effort to build something special. Unfortunately the buried treasure you find in this sand box is more often than not a cat turd.

There's the stones for your compass. But I made the mistake of landing on one of the islands where legend has it there is one. Won't be doing that again.

You make the quest my dude.. If you can't handle a game that isnt holding your hand telling you where you should go and where you shouldn't this maybe the wrong game for you 😉 

MMO:
An online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously.

RPG:

A role-playing game (RPG) is a genre of video game where the gamer controls a fictional character (or characters) that undertakes a quest in an imaginary world. Defining RPGs is very challenging due to the range of hybrid genres that have RPG elements.

Atlas is advertised as an MMO not an MMORPG.

Edited by Nari

Just wanna say on the atlas Steam store page it says

"Full Quest and Waypoint systems, with sub-quests and rewards, for major goals -- while procedural treasure maps and challenge zones also ensure there's always something new to find out over the horizon."

Yeah where they at? I think they are coming in the future 

Edited by Phant0m1011

On 12/31/2018 at 5:08 PM, artaherduron said:

You make the quest my dude.. If you can't handle a game that isnt holding your hand telling you where you should go and where you shouldn't this maybe the wrong game for you 😉 

I've played both MMORPG's and sandbox games including 4k hours in Ark and extensive experience with Eve. I'm fully aware of the differences between MMO and MMORPG, as well as the difference between sandbox and theme park, but I thought I remembered interviews prior to release with Jeremy and Jess where they referred to questing as part of the game's content beyond just the one main quest with the compass. It's possible I am misremembering what they said would be included, that's part of why I made the thread asking.

12 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I've played both MMORPG's and sandbox games including 4k hours in Ark and extensive experience with Eve. I'm fully aware of the differences between MMO and MMORPG, as well as the difference between sandbox and theme park, but I thought I remembered interviews prior to release with Jeremy and Jess where they referred to questing as part of the game's content beyond just the one main quest with the compass. It's possible I am misremembering what they said would be included, that's part of why I made the thread asking.

Well as Phant0m quoted, the store page alludes to quest, sub-quests and rewards. So yeah, you're correct to wonder if they're in the game yet... especially since the Steam Early Access description says everything in the features second listed on the store page is in the game. On this feature that seems to be a bit of a stretch.   

On 1/1/2019 at 12:22 AM, Znick said:

It's a sandbox, not theme park.

Z

I would agree if there was an economy and trade, but right now there's nothing like that. They don't even have an auction house. As it is even on a PvP server it's a PvE grinder, you build useless ships while being chased by 15 predators because the devs think it's fun (it's not) only to face 12 ships on the dead per square kilometer because the devs think it's cool (it's not), all this to get to Heaven aka the freeport where you can farm for more than 2 minutes without being ganked by 3 snakes and 2 crocodiles every time you move. Once they get a clue they will tone down the PvE crap and put systems in place for player interactions. Like an auction house, you know, the most basic feature of a sandbox mmo that isn't even there...

Edited by Renard1

Sandbox MMO's don't HAVE an auction house... did ARK? UO? Darkfall or Shadowbane? Nope.

Theme parks have those. There IS trade in the game, at least on the pvp servers people are trading. I can see how they wouldn't as much on a pve server, you just go get what you need. (but where's the fun in that?)

Z

On 12/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, boomervoncannon said:

So has anyone come across questing content? Am I just missing it, or might there be something to my theory?

Doesn't the game start with a quest to get the power stones?  Has anyone even found any yet?

Also, not uncommon for quests to be added to a game during the development cycle

5 hours ago, Domino said:

Doesn't the game start with a quest to get the power stones?  Has anyone even found any yet?

Also, not uncommon for quests to be added to a game during the development cycle

Doesn’t start with it no, but afaik it’s the only quest even in the game atm. And while it’s not uncommon for quests to be added, I’ve never heard of a game that has them basically starting EA with none/ one. That’s a pretty significant part of the game to roll into EA without effectively having some portion of it in place.