Gorirra

Best All Round Spec

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the best all round spec for PvE single player, theres soo much to pick from.

Well unfortunately I dont think you're gonna find a spec that covers everything you wanna do playing single player.  The game is created in a way that caters to groups who can diversify their skills to learn everything.  However I can give you some advice that may help you get the skills you need to play alone.

First off there are plenty of 1 and 2 point skills that aren't gonna cost you much.  You can safely take most of the basics in each tree.  Playing alone is going to mandate that you at least spend some points to unlock seamanship through crafting.  I wouldn't bother going too far in seamanship, as you probably wont be able to crew anything bigger than a sloop or schooner alone. It's unlikely you will ever be able to fight army of the damned ships alone, driving and manning sails and cannons at the same time, so you may want to skip artillery altogether and outrun and avoid them.

Investing in metal tools as an absolute must. As for combat, pick a weapon type and stick with it, but dont over invest.  You will need your points for other trees.  So just learn the first skill in bows, or melee (1h or 2h) and save the rest of your points for crafting.  Firearms are gonna cost you major points so avoid that.  Fire arrows are on the expensive side (8 points) but can help you farm alphas for some easy levels, so there's a tradeoff.

I would avoid expensive quality of life skills like vitamin depletion 2 and 3, water temperature 2 and 3, maybe even swim speed 2 and 3.  This would go for other passives as well, like higher levels of sneaking in taming, or the extra visibility on treasure maps or flotsam.  Passives are gonna be major point sinks in general, only take them to get to the crafting you want.  Unlocking all your crafting stations like loom, forge, maybe even grill and larder, are gonna be your priority.  

If you get all the points to build the buildings, crafting stations, shipyards and ship parts that you think you're gonna need, then you can invest any leftover points in those juicy passive buffs.  

Hope this helps and good luck out there alone.

Edited by hillbillyal

Also taming is amazing for gathering. And you dont have to invest too many points to unlock tier 2 riding which will let you ride most basic animals like bears or tigers or elephants with a saddle.  Taming can help you cut your farming time down when you dont have a company to help.  Just another suggestion.

I suggest investing in what you are trying to do at that moment and then simply respec when ur done. U wanna explore the bottom of the sea? Spec into swimming. U wanna build ur ship? respec for that etc.

1 hour ago, Znick said:

But at level 51 you're stuck with whatever you have.

Z

Until you unlock lvl cap along with Power Stone. I actually wonder if solo player with a lot of tamed stuff could kill Hydra for artifact key to unlock stone...

edit: typos

Edited by mmb