Sign in to follow this  
Leenaya

How many months-years before real map?

As the title asks, how long do you think it will be before the map is "better"?

As evidence of my idea that the map is a placeholder i point at the title screen. Its a world, not just a flat map with cut and paste islands on it.  Some of the islands are simply rotated 45-90 degrees, for instance the starter area in the west.

As a testing phase the current map works fine. You can sail around in your ship, play with the wind, and build inland or on the coast. All essential gameplay elements. Long term however I would hope that the world is an actual world. 

Even the very first Ark map The Island was very well designed with lots of nice looking places to set up a base. Granted in a pirate game you dont need all the land area that Ark has, but variety is the spice of life as they say.

Perhaps they should have a contest for the best looking island designs.  Something like Ark's The Center map island with a C shaped harbor like area, cliffs, and occasional mesa would fit in perfectly in Atlas I think.  The Center was a player made map before it went official after all.

2 hours ago, Leenaya said:

As the title asks, how long do you think it will be before the map is "better"?

As evidence of my idea that the map is a placeholder i point at the title screen. Its a world, not just a flat map with cut and paste islands on it.  Some of the islands are simply rotated 45-90 degrees, for instance the starter area in the west.

As a testing phase the current map works fine. You can sail around in your ship, play with the wind, and build inland or on the coast. All essential gameplay elements. Long term however I would hope that the world is an actual world. 

Even the very first Ark map The Island was very well designed with lots of nice looking places to set up a base. Granted in a pirate game you dont need all the land area that Ark has, but variety is the spice of life as they say.

Perhaps they should have a contest for the best looking island designs.  Something like Ark's The Center map island with a C shaped harbor like area, cliffs, and occasional mesa would fit in perfectly in Atlas I think.  The Center was a player made map before it went official after all.

Realistically I think they have alot of other issues to address before they start designing new islands to place. They would need to do a wipe when changing modifying this islands

I've sailed around a bunch and I can honestly say the whole "islands are copy pasted and just rotated" thing is a total nonsense. 

skhac64.png

Look at these 2 islands on the east side of the map. Obviously the shape of the island if you judge it by the map alone makes it look like a total copy paste job but if you actually go to the islands they don't even look remotely similar. You wouldn't be able to tell that the shape was the same if you didn't have a map showing you it because the whole topology and everything was completely different.

Edited by MightySheep

I hope they will launch a couple of new servers when the game goes live with different islands, biomes mixed up etc. 

37 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I hope they will launch a couple of new servers when the game goes live with different islands, biomes mixed up etc. 

Why would the biomes be mixed up? It's a planet. That's how climate works on a planet. 

2 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Why would the biomes be mixed up? It's a planet. That's how climate works on a planet. 

Dynamic biomes I meant. 

Just now, Percieval said:

Dynamic biomes I meant. 

You mean seasons? Or like volcanic islands that occasionally erupt? 

2 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

You mean seasons? Or like volcanic islands that occasionally erupt? 

Stuff like that, but not everyone like that kind of stuff so I’d put it on an seperate one. 

Edited by Percieval

I suppose the devs could be following the same Ark style map which is so inaccurate that its almost useless for navigation.  I have to admit that I never went to all the islands and inspected them in person. 

It would still be nice to have more variety in islands just to have more creatures. We don't get very many choices. Mostly wolves and snakes.

you do realize this is early access right ? 😉  how unique an island is should be their last concern. 
dont expect an EA to be a fully released game. 

What about huge islands that split between like 4 servers so there's actual jungle and some better exploration. I'm talking later on not now btw.

Edited by Doctorian Swift

I would expect bigger islands in the future, but not really a "main continent" as it would eat up multiple server grids. More variety in island types if imo quite far on the "to do" list when it comes to new content plans.