Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Acemore

lawless region Get rid of Lawless Regions, and instead add...

Recommended Posts

Get rid of the lawless regions and instead add multiple instanced freeports, and add an npc in the freeport town that allows you to freely switch between the instances. Make it very visible on your hud which instance of the freeport you are in, so there's no confusion incase you want to team up with friends in different instances.

Some of you might say that it defeats the purpose of a single shard. But it's the damn freeports. These are the starter learning zones where you can't build, can't claim, can't pvp and is supposed to leave soon anyway.

For instance, if you are at the North East Tropical Freeport #3 it should say so clearly on your hud, and at any time you can talk to an npc and get the choice to switch between the following:
North East Tropical Freeport #1
North East Tropical Freeport #2
North East Tropical Freeport #4

More instances are added automatically as needed to handle the number of players (and removed when not needed). Not only is this a flexible, elegant solution, but more importantly the lawless regions are now normal regions again which can be claimed and built on, which means a lot more territory for everyone!

Edit:

To be clear, I'm talking about multiple instances of the same freeport in the same grid (in addition to the 4 islands in a grid). This would up the limit from 150 per freeport grid to potentially infinite.

Edited by Acemore
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whut, this is already in the game if I was not mistaken? It’s been a week since I was on a freeport, I left with a raft but one NPC made me switch through the different freeports.. have they taken that from the game? Or do you only want to switch between the eastern ones, northern ones etc?

Edited by Percieval

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every Freeport/Starter zone has 4 islands in all wind directions. So that is already in. You can even teleport between them in the harbor when one is too crowded for your liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this idea. He's taking about multiple freeport servers (channels) in the same grid square. So if you sail into a freeport grid you'll randomly land in one of the freeport channels. To pickup new friends they would talk to the npc to switch channels, just like they already do to switch islands within the server. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me bad, I get it now. For the purpose of the PvE server this could be expanded quite a bit to regions out side of freeport (to tackle land issues), I know crazy idea.

ThoughI don't see this working on PvP servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, digma76 said:

ThoughI don't see this working on PvP servers.

It's perfect for pvp servers if it's ONLY the freeports. All that lawless territory will be open for claiming. As for PvE, just put up a whole new server cluster or let private servers handle the load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheSzerdi said:

It's perfect for pvp servers if it's ONLY the freeports. All that lawless territory will be open for claiming. As for PvE, just put up a whole new server cluster or let private servers handle the load. 

Agreed, the freeports only. But wouldn't you run into the problem branching out if for example 10K people go for say A6 and then leave the area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, I'm talking about multiple instances of the same freeport in the same grid (in addition to the 4 islands in a grid). This would up the limit from 150 per freeport grid to potentially infinite.

Edited by Acemore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Even if by some unlikely chance hundreds of people sailed out in the same direction all at once, when the next grid hits player cap the walls turn red and don't let you cross into that grid. You've never seen the red server walls? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case you could implement a mechanic to let players leave freeports in all 8 directions to neighbouring grids instead of just 4. Also, you could still have a maximum number of players in a freeport, but then at least it could be 600-800 instead of 150 yea?

Edited by Acemore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Nope. Even if by some unlikely chance hundreds of people sailed out in the same direction all at once, when the next grid hits player cap the walls turn red and don't let you cross into that grid. You've never seen the red server walls? 

Can you already hear the disgruntled voices about others getting a headstart? 😉

5 minutes ago, Acemore said:

In that case you could implement a mechanic to let players leave freeports in all 8 directions to neighbouring grids instead of just 4. Also, you could still have a maximum number of players in a freeport, but then at least it could be 600-800 instead of 150 yea?

Having more areas to spread out to would solve that problem partially but then you have to change to grid design and world map to hexagon based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually maybe the best way to do this (after a wipe) would be to implement a timer for 4-7 days (real time) where adjacent zones to freeports could not be claimed or built upon. Then after the timer (when most hardcore people have left and ventured further out to claim and build), the zones would return to normal, opening up for those who haven't been able to claim yet, especially for new players just coming out of freeports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Acemore said:

Actually maybe the best way to do this (after a wipe) would be to implement a timer for 4-7 days (real time) where adjacent zones to freeports could not be claimed or built upon. Then after the timer (when most hardcore people have left and ventured further out to claim and build), the zones would return to normal, opening up for those who haven't been able to claim yet, especially for new players just coming out of freeports.

They will need to have building stuff ready otherwise they’ll just get wiped immediately. But it could work out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lawless regions are full of peoples buildings and shipyards(PVE server), they are clearly needed for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they could at this point probably remove the lawless and just have the freeports as intended now that the main player base is in , it would help massivly qith land for a lot of players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×