atlasutopia

Stringing multiple servers together

Hello to the much needed community here.
After many days of messing around with hosting I found out the hard way that each tile should be hosted on its own server
with the IP and Port numbers added to all .json files. With that said I can only get the "Freeport" centre tile to work (3x3).

I have 2x servers right now, 1 to host freeport and another to test the West tile out but I cannot enter West tile due to 'red wall'.
I set Freeport to "isHomeServer": true, while west tile is false?
I also didn't add a spawn region for the west tile, but I didn't think this would stop me crossing the server line?

I have one question... 
How should the West tile .json file look? Should it include all 3x3 tile info like the freeport .json? Or Should West tile only have it's own tile info in the .json?

The documentation is really poor and I hope to find the time to write a guide up soon.. But first I need to fix this issue.

Any help welcome :)
Thanks

When you export the ServerGrid.json and ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json both go as-is in all servers. You can host more than one grid on a  host as long as you have the resources (roughly 2 cores and 4GB RAM per instance). I am running a 9x9 with 4 grids/tiles/shards on one machine each, for a total of 21 hosts.

10 hours ago, Morgrhim said:

When you export the ServerGrid.json and ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json both go as-is in all servers. You can host more than one grid on a  host as long as you have the resources (roughly 2 cores and 4GB RAM per instance). I am running a 9x9 with 4 grids/tiles/shards on one machine each, for a total of 21 hosts.

You say you are running a 9x9, doesnt it require 2 cores per map ? And are they all 81 maps 1400000 tiles ?
Thanks

1 minute ago, Starbuck said:

You say you are running a 9x9, doesnt it require 2 cores per map ? And are they all 81 maps 1400000 tiles ?
Thanks

Yes. I have a total of 264 cores and 3TB RAM to allocate. I'm running 8vCPUs per VM, and 24GB RAM for 4 instances, 57 VMs total. And yes, they are all 1400000.

• Like 1

Thanks morgrhim

Both servers have matching info, both servers show online (Console) but still cannot enter west tile.
I even made a new map, exported json files.. Still nothing.

Here's my bat file for booting Freeport tile

start "" /NORMAL "C:\atlasserver\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ocean?ServerX=1?ServerY=1?AltSaveDirectoryName=B1?MaxPlayers=10?ReservedPlayerSlots=0?QueryPort=57565?Port=5765?SeamlessIP=51.75.24.67 -log -server -NoBattlEye

And this is for West tile

start "" /NORMAL "C:\atlasserver\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=1?AltSaveDirectoryName=B1?MaxPlayers=10?ReservedPlayerSlots=0?QueryPort=57562?Port=5762?SeamlessIP=85.114.138.132 -log -server -NoBattlEye

And here's the Freeport (Home server) json confit, minus the password.

https://pastebin.com/WKHjeL9Z

Edited by atlasutopia

So I turned off all firewalls and ran both servers again.. Still red walls.
I guess its a config issue.

Is there a certain range of ports to use? 
Is it a requirement to use unique ports for different servers?

from what ive seen running 16 cells unless u got a garb cpu u can run 1 cell per core with headroom easily ive been looking into the hp blade systems 20 blades with dual cpus 12 cores per cpu and whatever ram u can fit u can have 480 cores that's a lot of map

10 hours ago, atlasutopia said:

So I turned off all firewalls and ran both servers again.. Still red walls.
I guess its a config issue.

Is there a certain range of ports to use? 
Is it a requirement to use unique ports for different servers?

Bump

Thanks Atlasprime but it didn't work 😞
I have all firewalls turned off too..

Do you have any other suggestions?

Edit - In "defaultgameusersettings" is an entry "SeamlessDataSocketPort=27000".. Should this remain at 27000 or should it match each servers individual seamless port?
Infact, should the seamless port remain 27000 on all servers? Currently I use 27000 > 27008

Edited by atlasutopia

Seemless ports are in the ServerGrid.json
I see the BAT files have different IP's, those servers are separately hosted ? not on same machine\network ?

Edited by Wartai

Can the seamless port be something other than 27000 though?

I actually added a 3rd server recently to make sure the issue wasn't with the server provider. 

Freeport server = 51.75.24.67
West tile = 85.114.138.132
South tile = 51.68.215.197

Yes, separately hosted 🙂
The other tiles using the same IP as freeport are not yet active

Edited by atlasutopia

On 12/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, Morgrhim said:

You definitely don't need 2 cores per instance. I am running a 3x3 with an 8700k (6 cores for 9 instances) and 32gb of ram perfectly smooth. My CPU usage on the server doesn't ever go above 90% and my ram usage is hardly over 80% at max load. No lag spikes, stuttering, etc. for anyone.

6 minutes ago, ChromeSDK said:

You definitely don't need 2 cores per instance. I am running a 3x3 with an 8700k (6 cores for 9 instances) and 32gb of ram perfectly smooth. My CPU usage on the server doesn't ever go above 90% and my ram usage is hardly over 80% at max load. No lag spikes, stuttering, etc. for anyone.

How many people do you have on your server at any given time? Also, your CPU has hyperthreading, meaning the PC sees 12 logical cores, not 6. My measurements are based on a 7x7 grid with an average of 60 people on at any given time (testers from before I went live).

1 minute ago, Morgrhim said:

How many people do you have on your server at any given time? Also, your CPU has hyperthreading, meaning the PC sees 12 logical cores, not 6. My measurements are based on a 7x7 grid with an average of 60 people on at any given time (testers from before I went live).

I know that, I thought you meant you needed 2 physical cores per system, so I was just commenting on that in case someone with a consumer high end intel processor (from before the current gen, not sure how those perform since they no longer have hyperthreading) thought they couldn't handle it. I only have about 10-15 people on, but from what I have seen, most people hosting their own are having smallish servers like this, so the recommendations, for the most part, don't need to be so high. 

Update - 

I now have a dedicated server running Windows server 2012.
I managed to make the red walls go away but now when I enter over the blue server line, it just hangs until I get kicked. 
Also cannot rejoin once this happens.

Any ideas what could cause this? Again, firewall is off.

I'm not 100% sure I can even run all tiles from one machine, or do tiles need to be on their own VM? 

Thanks

Edited by atlasutopia

You can run multiple grids on the same machine, without VM. I run 2x3 on a single dedi.

In the GridEditor, check that you have the Grid server info correct. You can make the whole map in one sesion, export and just copy over the same ServerGrid to all servers. In the Bat file you specify which grid it should host

5 minutes ago, HelixU4 said:

You can run multiple grids on the same machine, without VM. I run 2x3 on a single dedi.

In the GridEditor, check that you have the Grid server info correct. You can make the whole map in one sesion, export and just copy over the same ServerGrid to all servers. In the Bat file you specify which grid it should host

Thanks. 

I have dedi (1 Machine), with 9 .bat files to launch each tile. All info is correct. 
When I cross into another server, my char seems to die and forces me to respawn at freeport.

Is there a port range to stick within for Port, Gameport, Seamless port?

Edited by atlasutopia

Just now, atlasutopia said:

Thanks. 

I have dedi (1 Machine), with 9 .bat files to launch each server. All info is correct. 
When I cross into another server, my char seems to die and forces me to respawn at freeport.

Is there a port range to stick within for Port, Gameport, Seamless port?

Never had that issue.
For the ports, what I currently use is: 575xx for Port, 57xx for GamePort and 270xx for SeamlessData

If you want you can join this discord: https://discord.gg/VAAhqT its a server for Atlas server Help. Hit me up there and ill send you my setup.