Sign in to follow this  
strawman

Small vs Medium Sails

I had one medium handling sail on a sloop, then demolished and replaced it with two small handling sails. It feels slower now. Anyone been able to test this?

i have a medium speed sail on a sloop, and it seems quite fast, but have not swapped them out for 2x small sails.  On a related matter, can you place 2 medium sails on a sloop if you place them properly?

I have heard else where that 1 Medium Sail beats out 2 Small sails on a Sloop.  Please note when you go to place a Sail on a ship it will tell you how many points the Sail costs and how many points x out of y the Ship has.  A Sloop I believe has 2 Points and a Schooner has 4 points.  1 Small sail consumes 1 point and 1 Medium Sail consumes 1.7 points.  I'm not sure the points cost of a large sail yet.

Also at some point I will conduct some testing on a sloop with different sail types and sizes compared to another sloop both traveling the same heading to potentially gauge speed and other effects.  I'll post my findings on the forums when I have something conclusive. 

Edited by Hpnotiq

7 minutes ago, Hpnotiq said:

I have heard else where that 1 Medium Sail beats out 2 Small sails on a Sloop.  Please note when you go to place a Sail on a ship it will tell you how many points the Sail costs and how many points x out of y the Ship has.  A Sloop I believe has 2 Points and a Schooner has 4 points.  1 Small sail consumes 1 point and 1 Medium Sail consumes 1.7 points.  I'm not sure the points cost of a large sail yet.

Also at some point I will conduct some testing on a sloop with different sail types and sizes compared to another sloop both traveling the same heading to potentially gauge speed and other effects.  I'll post my findings on the forums when I have something conclusive. 

You'll be there hero we need if you do. Don't forget weight in your tests!

Sure I can do weight.  I was going to do two identical Sloops with as minimal weight as possible to try and see just the speed difference.  I might try several different weight amounts afterwards, maybe 10% at a time to see the difference.