qqjp

Why not create a single larger grid?

Why not create a single larger grid? I tried to build an 8400000 grid, which saved more memory than Independent server processes, and found no other faults except that the map was a little blurred. Anyone knows what's wrong if a single grid exceeds the official 140,000?

The github page says this:

gridSize is the size in unreal units of each grid. We do not recommend going over 1400000 due to floating point precision issues.

No clue what that really means though.

Hopefully they will be able to better support large grids in the future and save more computer resources, which is very good for private servers or single players .

If it's a floating point issue, then it boils down to space.  Floating point numbers have a finite length, and if you use larger numbers (i.e. 840k vs 140k) then you need to use more memory space to the left of the decimal point.  This reduces the amount of precision to the right of the decimal point.  I don't know how large an unreal unit is in the game world, but if you round too much, it could throw off things like spawns, where objects are in the world, etc.  If the precision is high, a rounding error might shift an object a few pixels to the left and be unnoticeable, but if you're rounding higher numbers (say up to a whole number) it could result in things jumping around erratically (just as a simple example).

My potential concern was around the water mechanic.  It's very different from Ark, actually moves up/down/side-to-side, and it pitches objects accordingly.  That's a lot of movement going on, and I could imagine a server getting bogged down when it's trying to manage that in a game world 4-5x the intended size.  I'm guessing a private server with 10 people may not cause much stress, but if the devs aren't speccing to run higher than 140k in size, you're entering into uncharted territory. 

Edited by ForceTrainer

6 hours ago, ForceTrainer said:

If it's a floating point issue

it is and it's a ue4 engine issue, so all physics is calculated in relation to the center of each sector of the grid, each individual server. So get to far from the center and the rounding errors become noticeable nad hits become misses etc...

I tried to make a five-fold map, which was born in the center of the island and had no problems at all. Then I flew to the island on the edge of the map. It was totally different. It seemed that it was limited by the game engine. It was better to accept the official advice.

Don't even try anything above 1400000, physics and things will not work properly outside that boundary, and probably a ton of database corruptions too.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:09 AM, qqjp said:

Why not create a single larger grid? I tried to build an 8400000 grid, which saved more memory than Independent server processes, and found no other faults except that the map was a little blurred. Anyone knows what's wrong if a single grid exceeds the official 140,000?

people are actually trying to create this with the recent Devtoolkit

Give them some time and it will be avaible 🙂

"even if this thread is from  december 30"

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1627890405

Edited by Yemesis

If the production of super grid is possible, it will change the face of the game, someone may make the Caribbean map, or even a map of the world.

I've tried a 5 600 000 grid size... After going further than the 1 400 000 there's no more Water in the ocean, monsters on the "out of the normal gridsize" are stuck under the islands