micah68ph

LAN Access to Private Server

Alrighty, I've gotten some tips from folks in other threads but I'm gonna start a new one in an attempt to cover all my bases.

I'm successfully hosting a 3x3 Atlas server on a dedicated physical server.  Folks are able to connect via the steam favorites and in-game server browser.  I, however, cannot connect from my gaming PC on the LAN.

This is my startup script for each of the 9 server instances (obviously tweaked for serverx/y and ports).

start /high C:\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00?ServerAdminPassword=********?MaxPlayers=125?ReservedPlayerSlots=25?QueryPort=57561?Port=5761?SeamlessIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?MultiHome=10.0.0.11 -log -server -NoBattlEye
exit

Some people swear this "just works" for them after they add MultiHome but no luck for me.  I tried adding a loopback adapter to my public IP and that didn't change anything.

I have never seen my server in the in-game server browser.  I can however see it when I add it as 10.0.0.11:57561 in Steam Favorites.  When I try to join through favorites though it kicks back that it can't query the server.

image.png.09457156670508e0df6d86913a08c440.png

I feel pretty confident this is a hairpinning issue and the problem is that I can't get the Atlas game client to allow me to host it publicly and connect locally at the same time.  I see people have created LAN-only servers by setting all their IP's to just the private IP.  I'm guessing if I do that then the folks outside the network won't see it anymore though.  I also see some folks reported success by using high end routers in place of their ISP router so that they could unblock the hairpinning at the edge.  I don't have a router for that right now though so that's not an option for me.

Any ideas?  Has anyone else been able to host a server for external access and also connect from a separate PC on their LAN?

• Like 1

I gave up on trying to run a LAN server. I tried lots of suggestions.

Same boat here. Finally got it going for everyone else, but I can't connect. Multihome did not work and my router does not support NAT loopback. 

1 minute ago, qqjp said:

Maybe it's a NAT loopback problem. You can set it up in the router.

I'm pretty sure it is but, unfortunately, my router does not support NAT loopback (newer Linksys). 

7 minutes ago, qqjp said:

I tried that but still no luck.  Nothing changed on the Atlas side.  I could ping the public IP, but it didn't change that the server never showed up in steam favorites by public IP and never showed up in-game server browser for me.

1 minute ago, micah68ph said:

I tried that but still no luck.  Nothing changed on the Atlas side.  I could ping the public IP, but it didn't change that the server never showed up in steam favorites by public IP and never showed up in-game server browser for me.

Likewise, didn't work for me. 

1 minute ago, Soyuz said:

Likewise, didn't work for me. 

So lame.  I have a dedicated server with 128GB RAM, 20x 2.2Ghz cores and fiber internet.  All my buddies are connected and able to play and I can't join them and official servers are toxic or broken.

3 minutes ago, micah68ph said:

So lame.  I have a dedicated server with 128GB RAM, 20x 2.2Ghz cores and fiber internet.  All my buddies are connected and able to play and I can't join them and official servers are toxic or broken.

Yeah, I hear you. Was this an issue in Ark as well?

Just now, Soyuz said:

Yeah, I hear you. Was this an issue in Ark as well?

I think it was initially.  But Ark added an option in the in-game server browser for "LAN Servers" I think.  That's also where the MultiHome setting came from.   I ran an Ark server for a bit and when I added MultiHome to the startup script settings it started working fine.  Lame that Atlas isn't working the same way.

I have the same issue.

I have a wireless internal network (TP-Link Wireless N PCI) with wireless broadband connection.

Server starts:

[2018.12.30-03.38.38:217][  0]ATLAS Version: 7.81 (Rev. 106092)
[2018.12.30-03.38.38:217][  0]PID: 15284
[2018.12.30-03.40.19:877][  0]Primal Game Data Took 101.20 seconds
[2018.12.30-03.40.28:670][  0]SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()
[2018.12.30-03.40.28:670][  0]gethostbyname failed ()
[2018.12.30-03.40.39:908][  0]Network range scales set to: 48 start, 80 end, 0.460000 endscale
[2018.12.30-03.40.41:593][  0]Server: "Atalanthe" has successfully started!
[2018.12.30-03.40.42:043][  0]Commandline: Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00?ServerAdminPassword=********?MaxPlayers=8?ReservedPlayerSlots=8?QueryPort=57561?Port=5761? -log -server -NoBattlEye
[2018.12.30-03.40.42:043][  0]Full Startup: 125.18 seconds (BP compile: 0.00 seconds)
[2018.12.30-03.40.42:044][  0]Number of cores 6

http://canyouseeme.org confirms that both 57561 and 5761 are open.

I have only the one machine, so I'm not able to check to see if I can connect from another machine.

my server does not show up on the unofficial list.

However, if I install a loopback interface following https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/workaround-if-you-cannot-join-your-own-dedi-server.4672/ my server does show up on the unoffical list.

The trouble now is that if I try to connect to my server (after enabling the loopback interface) I get a "Connection Failure" "Server Full".

The next time I load Atlas I have to option to reconnect without first going to the unofficial list.  If I choose this I fail with a "Host Pending Connection Timeout" "Lost/timeout pending connection to host."

• Like 1

Frankly, it seems like the loopback workaround shouldn't be necessary. Out of fairness, I realize this is in early access. 

7 hours ago, Soyuz said:

Frankly, it seems like the loopback workaround shouldn't be necessary. Out of fairness, I realize this is in early access. 

Agreed.  Especially since they had a fix for this in Ark.  I have to think it has something to do with with SeamlessIP and how grids are linked.  Something to do with the public IP being hardcoded or something... I dunno.  Bummed either way.  I'll just keep playing on official while I wait to be able to play with my friends on my own server.

well .. im stuck on same boat .. cant join my own server .. im using Zerotier to host it .. cause my cunt ISP isnt allowing ports to be open

however theres nothing wrong with my ark server .. joins just fine ..

You can't join a server hosted on your own network, this is because of NAT reflection / NAT loopback. Most router have this function hardcoded disabled because it is a potentially major security risk to have NAT reflection/loopback enabled. There is a handful of routers who have the option to turn this on, but most don't.

Just login to your router and see if you can turn on NAT loopback/reflection, if there is no such option, you are out of luck buddy.

Same problem here.

aezephyr ,

The problem you talk about "Connection Failure" "Server Full"  in your command line:

Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=00?ServerAdminPassword=********?MaxPlayers=8?ReservedPlayerSlots=8?QueryPort=57561?Port=5761? -log -server -NoBattlEye

You have maxPlayers=8 and ReservedPlayersSlots=8. 8 - 8 = 0 slots available. You need rise your maxPlayers.

when you create the server, you have to use your public IP n the map editor page, as well as in the launch command.  Then port forward the 3 required ports in your router settings to your local IP of the machine running it.

QueryPort - 57561

Port -5761

Seamless port - 27000

also make sure like @Aiel said to not have all your available slots be reserved 🙂  

I found a nice and easy way to get this to work on a LAN. I hope this help a lot of people as I struggled for a couple days not wanting to set up NAT loopback. 

After setting up the atlas server so your friends can see it. Do the following:

Go to https://www.google.com/search?q=my+ip to get your external IP address

Window Atlas Server Setup:
1.    Go the start or run and type ncpa.cpl. Press enter.
2.    Right click on your network interface card and choose properties. 
3.    Select TCP/IPv4 but DO NOT uncheck it! Click properties again.
             You should see the static IP address you set for your server.  
4.    Click advanced.
             At the top of the dialog box you will see your static IP address. 
5.    Click add and enter your external IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Example 76.54.55.122.
6.    Click add
             It should look like this but with your static and external IP address in place of my example IPs.
7.    Click ok
8.    Click ok
9.    And finally click close

Windows Desktop on sane LAN:
1.    Do steps 1 – 4 * You may want to set up a static IP address for your personal computer. Not sure if this will work with a DHCP address. 
             At the top of the dialog box you will see your static IP address. 
2.    Click add and enter an IP address within the same Subnet.
             Example: 
             Server IP        75.54.55.122 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
             Desktop IP:    75.54.55.123 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
3.    Do Previous steps 7 – 9
4.    Start the game and it should now show up!