TheSzerdi

claim flag Invulnerability within claimed circle

Before you freak out, read the whole idea. 

First, make all claim flags require a resource upkeep. 

Second, make that upkeep exponential based on the number of claim flags a company holds. (First flag is 50 wood and 50 fiber per week. By the fifth flag ALL flags require 200 wood, 200 fiber, 200 stone, and 200 berries from the biome type it is planted in per week. By the twentieth flag ALL flags require 1000 wood, 1000 fiber, 1000 stone, 300 metal, 500 berries of biome type, and 200 berries of each of the OTHER biome types per week. Change the flag models to increasingly extravagant structures as higher tier is reached. Maybe every five flags. Exact numbers will be need to be balanced.) 

Third, make all structures and anchored ships within the claim zone invulnerable so long as upkeep is being met. If upkeep is not met, fast decay times like lawless zones set in. (A pick lock feature to allow some raiding perhaps? Make characters unable to pick locks within 5 meters of a sleeping character?) 

Fourth, an opposing group's counter claim is a destroyable structure that will continue claiming regardless of ANY nearby players until it is destroyed. Make it require resources to build and make the claim timer much longer. Ships and structures lose invulnerability when the owner clan damages the counter claim structure. (This will need balancing to find best values. Like 500 wood, 500 stone, 200 hides, 120 cooked meat, and a four hour timer. It's a siege after all.) 

Please respond with refinements that would help balance or avoid exploits. I can't think of everything. Perhaps restricting counter claims to particular days of the week? Like odd numbered grid squares Thursdays and Saturdays, even numbers on Fridays and Sundays, Mondays through Wednesdays only areas that have failed upkeep can be counter claimed. I would prefer counter claims anywhere, anytime, but tiny groups might not agree. 

Edited by TheSzerdi
Tags, update
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Lillica said:

This game has loads of potential, and players are providing feedback, yes this is true, however there is one major flaw at this point int time that unless it is immediately addressed the correct feedback will not be provided to the devs.

Land claiming, this simple game mechanic needs to be fixed with the utmost importance this is why.

1. In order for the game to benefit and improve it needs a large steady vast player base to provide possitive and negative feedback, the claiming system at this point is discouraging to many players who dont have 24/7 to play the game and who have had bad experiences with large groups in the past, or who feel threatened or intimidated by large geoups. Sure this game is not meant to be a solo game, but its for sure not meant to be three or four major companies stealing land from smaller companies.

2. With the ability to place as many land claims as you want it is possible at this time to claim an entire zone, ocean and land as a single person.

3. Having all your work stolen is discouraging to many players considering how easy it is to just steal claims at this time, eventually more players will quit and move on to different games unless this is fixed

4. The claim system needs to be limited in some way, one claim per person, one claim per company level (could increase level getting rare treasures from bosses or pvping and stealing them etc)

5. Warring should be the only way to steal a claim, and you shouldnt just be able to war without any repercussions, it should cost money to war (not sure how warring works) and it should only be for x amount of time, as well as starting x amount of time after you declare it, so its fair for both parties.

For concluding this, until the claiming system is revamped, allowing more people to progress past a sloop, this game will not be able to improve in various glitches or bugs due to a shrinking player base, because who wants to continually build rafts and sail for hours just to lose a claim and start over every day. 

This one? 

• Like 1

Ya, I agree there needs to be something like this. Like in Rust and DayZ Epoch we not only had to upkeep our plot poles we had to pay for them. Making them free or no cost to build made it way too easy for groups to take over the whole map.

Edited by DrAkademik
grammar

I agree with this sounds like the good old rust toolbox thing works very well in keeping servers clean as well but with how things are now gold seems useless and out of place so I make this counter proposal make the claim flags cost gold along with the other resources (increasingly as you put it for each flag) as to make the company go and search for the treasure chest or fight the ghost ships.

OR

make the whole island claimable and limit it to 1 island per company and incentivize the company to let people live on said island by having a monthly/weekly gold tax and if they don't pay the buildings in the claimed zone for their flag decays like in the  starter areas ( keeping the claim flag to 1 this also allows the owning tribe to build anywhere in their own claim) also make the islands when you claim them cost gold (and a certain amount afterwards so if the company goes and quits another can buy) idk how much but seems like a good use and investment seems you will essentially be getting rent. if gold would become the cornerstone of the game I could see it becoming a game for all types as not every land has all resources so I could see trading becoming prevalent. and why not make gold the centrepiece it is a pirate game after all.

to pay tax you would put in the flag and it would pay overtime at the rate set the flag can only be accessed by the members that set the flag and the gold will be transferred to the owner's flag. not sure on if to make flags destroyable unless the province was declared war upon then I could see that. Idk man just spitballing here and I'm sure you could improve upon my idea as well seems like a smart dude

But man I would take anything over the current system

Edited by Shiro12
typo
  • Like 1

Some ideas in this post feel like they are more on the right track to a solution to the problem than just a set limit on flags per compnay or member solution.  I fully support some type of cost based system that grows with claim size.  Along with that if you can then all plots that also have a rent type up keep for smaller companys and things to live there and still help but keep an identity and play how they want, would be an overall really good solution to the current problem.   However without some type of faction system for pvp or something then there is nothing stoping you from being raided by the clan leasing the area to you.

5 hours ago, Big Bojangles said:

Some ideas in this post feel like they are more on the right track to a solution to the problem than just a set limit on flags per compnay or member solution.  I fully support some type of cost based system that grows with claim size.  Along with that if you can then all plots that also have a rent type up keep for smaller companys and things to live there and still help but keep an identity and play how they want, would be an overall really good solution to the current problem.   However without some type of faction system for pvp or something then there is nothing stoping you from being raided by the clan leasing the area to you.

set a pvp clause to where the owner of the land can only raid if the company renting the area doesn't pay the amount, or attacks the owning companies animals structures etc... as to prevent abuse on either side

Edited by Shiro12
Typo

7 minutes ago, Shiro12 said:

set a pvp clause to where the owner of the land can only raid if the company renting the area doesn't pay the amount, or attacks the owning companies animals structures etc... as to prevent abuse on either side

yeah something like that should work, they just need to do something and sooner than later.

Just now, Big Bojangles said:

yeah something like that should work, they just need to do something and sooner than later.

Ya population will either die or go off in the direction of 2-4 mega tribes but hey I Wouldnt mind seeing a one piece scenario but maybe a separate server for that lol as right now the game is rough no matter how you come at it unless its with 30+ players

2 minutes ago, Shiro12 said:

Ya population will either die or go off in the direction of 2-4 mega tribes but hey I Wouldnt mind seeing a one piece scenario but maybe a separate server for that lol as right now the game is rough no matter how you come at it unless its with 30+ players

30+ isnt enough, a few hundred is hardly enough.  You need multiple server presence.  One of the current zerg tactics is to "flood" your server with so many players that you cant even re-spawn at your own bed and defend a raid.  The limits of their own system are causing an issue and unless there is some checks and balances put into the game it will just stay an unbalanced zerg fest of a mess that just fight and grief eachother all the time.  I don't want to play in a mega tribe and when grapeshot said "we learned from ark" I didn't expect this to already be the state of the game.

9 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

30+ isnt enough, a few hundred is hardly enough.  You need multiple server presence.  One of the current zerg tactics is to "flood" your server with so many players that you cant even re-spawn at your own bed and defend a raid.  The limits of their own system are causing an issue and unless there is some checks and balances put into the game it will just stay an unbalanced zerg fest of a mess that just fight and grief eachother all the time.  I don't want to play in a mega tribe and when grapeshot said "we learned from ark" I didn't expect this to already be the state of the game.

They didn't learn from ark or this wouldn't be the case remember the servers that were literally full of 1 tribe lol its the same thing here lol just bigger tribes. Sad thing about it though is even if they put a company member limit people would just ally up lol so this is the only way we can slow down mega tribes and give the smaller tribes a chance rust being a prime example as there are mega zergs on there too but you don't see them taking over huge parts of the map because of the upkeep system. yes they have pretty huge bases but not a whole map lol

23 minutes ago, Shiro12 said:

They didn't learn from ark or this wouldn't be the case remember the servers that were literally full of 1 tribe lol its the same thing here lol just bigger tribes. Sad thing about it though is even if they put a company member limit people would just ally up lol so this is the only way we can slow down mega tribes and give the smaller tribes a chance rust being a prime example as there are mega zergs on there too but you don't see them taking over huge parts of the map because of the upkeep system. yes they have pretty huge bases but not a whole map lol

Then they gotta do upkeep to stop the zergs or have only zergs playing it sounds that simple.  Also the whole private server thing sounds unrealistic and this game was also sold as an mmo and that doesnt usually work so well on a private.

I can't see any private servers unless someone implements a donation kind of thing which I have seen in ark but the initial cost would be ridiculous as the current map consists of 225 servers so ya pretty out of reach indeed. I hate to say it but id be happy with  the center kind of map with this stuff but that probably a long lost dream until this game is able to be modded

Edited by Shiro12
typo

32 minutes ago, Big Bojangles said:

Then they gotta do upkeep to stop the zergs or have only zergs playing it sounds that simple.  Also the whole private server thing sounds unrealistic and this game was also sold as an mmo and that doesnt usually work so well on a private.

No...this is a pirate game. Not a colonial peace where everyone is merry and loves each other game.

You don't want your land taken? Build walls, put aggressive tamed animals in them and put cannons and mortars up.

Quit whining.

18 minutes ago, MrTexas said:

No...this is a pirate game. Not a colonial peace where everyone is merry and loves each other game.

You don't want your land taken? Build walls, put aggressive tamed animals in them and put cannons and mortars up.

Quit whining.

That doesn't stop them from flooding your server so you cant spawn at a bed.  Also if this truly was pirates it would be small scale, a large company and fleet would be more like the navy.

Ya, Pirates had to fight the British, French and Spanish. Earlier pirates fought the Greek and Romans.

Claim maintenance is the way to go. With that, people wont bother going around taking random island claims like they do now.

23 hours ago, Shiro12 said:

I can't see any private servers unless someone implements a donation kind of thing which I have seen in ark but the initial cost would be ridiculous as the current map consists of 225 servers so ya pretty out of reach indeed. I hate to say it but id be happy with  the center kind of map with this stuff but that probably a long lost dream until this game is able to be modded

If a good private server with mods and fixes eventually comes out I would totally pay a subscription fee to keep it up.

3 hours ago, TheSzerdi said:

If a good private server with mods and fixes eventually comes out I would totally pay a subscription fee to keep it up.

I wouldn't mind either

Edited by Shiro12

On 1/3/2019 at 1:35 AM, MrTexas said:

Quit whining.

Nobody ever said anything about having our land taken we are saying the current implementation of the land claiming system is flawed flags cost nothing and cost no upkeep we are discussing a solution not whining and as for merry and love each other go play rust and tell me if anyone is merry and loves each other. that is the system we are asking to be implemented that would only increase PVP not decrease it as for PVE you have NO option.

and as for whining can't people have a discussion about possibly improving a game without someone calling another a name?

Edited by Shiro12

even the devs have realized this flaw and are working to fix it not the upkeep way but the more flags you own the faster an enemy can take the flag it might be a step in the right direction

New claim times are still stupid. It really wouldn't be that hard to implement something better... *smh*

On 1/3/2019 at 2:35 AM, MrTexas said:

Quit whining.

What I'm hearing is Blah I won't be able to ruin as many peoples fun if something like this were to be implemented boo boo.. boo.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, TheSzerdi said:

Before you freak out, read the whole idea. 

First, make all claim flags require a resource upkeep. 

Second, make that upkeep exponential based on the number of claim flags a company holds. (First flag is 50 wood and 50 fiber per week. By the fifth flag ALL flags require 200 wood, 200 fiber, 200 stone, and 200 berries from the biome type it is planted in per week. By the twentieth flag ALL flags require 1000 wood, 1000 fiber, 1000 stone, 300 metal, 500 berries of biome type, and 200 berries of each of the OTHER biome types per week. Change the flag models to increasingly extravagant structures as higher tier is reached. Maybe every five flags. Exact numbers will be need to be balanced.) 

Third, make all structures and anchored ships within the claim zone invulnerable so long as upkeep is being met. If upkeep is not met, fast decay times like lawless zones set in. (A pick lock feature to allow some raiding perhaps? Make characters unable to pick locks within 5 meters of a sleeping character?) 

Fourth, an opposing group's counter claim is a destroyable structure that will continue claiming regardless of ANY nearby players until it is destroyed. Make it require resources to build and make the claim timer much longer. Ships and structures lose invulnerability when the owner clan damages the counter claim structure. (This will need balancing to find best values. Like 500 wood, 500 stone, 200 hides, 120 cooked meat, and a four hour timer. It's a siege after all.) 

Please respond with refinements that would help balance or avoid exploits. I can't think of everything. Perhaps restricting counter claims to particular days of the week? Like odd numbered grid squares Thursdays and Saturdays, even numbers on Fridays and Sundays, Mondays through Wednesdays only areas that have failed upkeep can be counter claimed. I would prefer counter claims anywhere, anytime, but tiny groups might not agree. 

or just go on a PvE server/unofficial server with offline protection. Hardcore PvP players actually enjoy the thrill of risk/reward. One thing I do agree with there is not enough automated defense against players (there are plenty against ships and infrastructure). If the devs could find a way for NPCs to use carbines/bows, I believe there would be enough protection for ships (set towers/cliff platforms near a port).