Captain Jack Shadow

Do NOT underestimate how attached people will be to their ships! This is NOT ARK.

It sucked to be base wiped in ARK, but as much as that sucked, most people were not emotionally attacked to their Square, ugly base.  And, it wasn't really hard to have a new base.  These ships are NOT square, ugly bases.  They are beautiful sailing ships.  The phrase, Romance with the Sea, comes to mind.

So how do you fix this in a PvP game?  Here are some suggestions.

1. Your ship has an amazing buff when near the shore of your home island.  This should not be a guess...you should see an icon denoting that you are buffed.   This buff should be such that people will not randomly blow up your ship...just because it's there.  Too costly.  If this is not done, Zerg Companies will just go out on patrol at night, while you are offline, and blow up ships they come across.  This will not sit well with most people.  Call this mechanic, "Safe Harbor."  This should apply to ships being build in a shipyard also, and maybe even be buffed even more to help reduce the times you end up frustrated by your ship being destroyed before it even sails.

2. Have a point system for lawful/unlawful reputation.  If you attack somebody, the meter goes toward unlawful.  One raid would not make you an outlaw.  The idea would be to slow this down so that it isn't constant PvP, just for the sake of PvP.  Also, the meter can be affected by "lawful" actions.  Too many unlawful actions in a short period of time gets your Company labeled as an Outlaw.  Now, a "Royal Navy," comes after you.  Reward flyers would also be posted, listing the location of the outlaw company's facilities...not ships.  Destroying their claim and buildings would net a large profit. A profit large enough to entice large alliances to carry it out.  So this would make Company's think before acting.  Yes, you could raid.  Yes, you could pirate, but not constantly.  Thus, even Mega Companies would only want to raid as much as a small tribe.  It creates repercussions for being bullies, just because you are big enough to do so.

3. Get rid of the decay at Freeports.  We don't need an incentive to go explore.  We DO need a safe harbor to anchor at, when our claim is stolen, and we temporarily have no safe place to anchor.  Instead, charge a port fee. This is realistic, as this is actually done in real life.  Call it a port tax.  You have to pay it in advance, with no limit for how far in advance you want to pay.  Allow the selling of resources to get the gold to pay.  The reason for no limit is that somebody may lose their base, but be heading out on a vacation for two weeks.  An arbitrary 3 day limit would screw them.  It's not necessary.  People WANT to create their own base.  They don't need an incentive to do so.  We came here for the sailing, and exploring.  Not the taming, fighting lions, etc...  We WANT to sail our ships.

4. Rethink the skill tree.  Don't make me choose between having combat skills, and taming skills, and ship building skills, etc...  I play a game to have fun, not do a job.  I do not want an ATLAS job.  One day, taming a wolf will sound fun to me.  Another day, building a ship will.  Another day, building on the base will sound fun.  Etc...   Every time one of those sound fun to me, and I can't, it will create frustration.  We don't play games to be frustrated.  We play to be challenged, and for fun...not to be restricted.  By the end, you should have at a minimum, you should have 90% of all skills unlocked.   Stop with the tangled web also.  Make them linear.  That is not boring, that is fun because we don't get angry when we have to spend points on crap we don't want, in order to get to the one skill we do want.  The current tree is not interesting, it's an abomination.  Unrestricting the tree will help us get back on the sea faster, when we do lose our ship.  Making the game noob friendly is not achieved by slowing progression.  New companies can compete better, when they can quickly get to the same level as the established Companies.

5.  Insurance.  Allow for an insurance system, to replace large ships that were destroyed.  If a lot of the suggestions above are implemented, this would not be as necessary, but if getting back into a ship is a slow painful process, this will save the game.  People want to sail ships, not repeatedly build them, over and over.  It should not be super expensive, and this could also be used as an incentive not to do too much needless PvP, as it could be made such that your lawful/unlawful rating could affect how much you have to pay for insurance.

6. Offline Raid Protection.  This was wildly popular on ARK unofficial servers.

7. Time to build a ship should be in line with how easy it is to lose it.  If you want ships to go down fast and often, then make it such that ships can be built fast, and often.  Kind of only makes sense.  Ships can't go down fast and often, if they aren't being built fast and often.

8. Ships of the Damned should be a rare encounter.  Very rare.  They are way too OP, since they do not suffer a speed loss when going into the wind.  To make them more interesting, however, drastically reduce their aggro range...very reduced, but the longer you are in sight of it, the more the aggro range increases.  Thus, when you see one, you want to instantly flee in the opposite direction.  So when you see one, you say, "Oh crap, let's get out of here before it spots us."

9. Give a real incentive, and mechanic, for trading.  If left up to the community to do on their own, it won't happen.  There must be a mechanic, and incentive for it to happen.

10. Create a much more robust permissions system.
- Captain - Owner
- Officer - Admin
- Experienced Deckhand
- Deckhand
- Recruit

Allow us to decide how much trust we want to put in each level.  We do not want a Recruit, Deckhand or Experienced Deckhand, to be able to move the ship, for instance.  Only an Officer or above should be able to name the ship.  Remember the fiasco we had with the new recruit, who named the ship something offensive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1. I like this 

2. How do you see this? I mean lawful pirates.. 😉

3. Decay is necessary to stop the raft spam/blockade.. To tackle that they could make all the ships in freeports ‘ghosted’. Then this could work out.

4. Agree, in my opinion if they pick the half of each skill cost it should be well balanced.

5. Or maybe make player saved ships? So you can build a ship at once the exact same it was before. I believe in the future we will see more customization for the ships. 

6. Yes please

7. That is what it was like I believe, before they patched it. It was good before that but it made something bug so they reset the timers.

8. Agree, max 1 per grid.

9. You mean like the crate balloon in ARK, but then with ships? 

10. Agreed. 

• Like 1

I like all you suggestions, though  Nº 3 could create a big problem with rafts, maybe make it cost some gold to anchor the ship safely without decay.

Edited by Mr.Sentinazo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Percieval said:

2. How do you see this? I mean lawful pirates.. 😉

3. Decay is necessary to stop the raft spam/blockade.. To tackle that they could make all the ships in freeports ‘ghosted’. Then this could work out.

5. Or maybe make player saved ships? So you can build a ship at once the exact same it was before. I believe in the future we will see more customization for the ships.

9. You mean like the crate balloon in ARK, but then with ships?

2. The idea is to have a system that makes you want to keep a low profile.  You want to pirate, but not so much that the Crown decides you need to be taken care of.  What this does is create a balance between small Companies and Mega Companies, as the Mega Company wouldn't be able to misbehave anymore than the small companies.  It removes their ability to be bullies just because they are big.  Their size would only make them more likely to be successful in a raid.  But they couldn't just go out and screw with people just because they can.  Their leaders would need to keep track of their unlawful deeds, and try to balance it so they don't end up on the most wanted list.

3. I agree that you don't want a mess of ships there, but some ships makes it interesting.  So how about this.  After 3 days, or after a certain number of ships are there at anchor, some ships start disappearing.  They aren't gone.  You just have to go to an NPC to have it removed from "drydock."  Now it appears in a drydock, and you can sail it out.

5 That's not a bad idea.  Why not combine it with the insurance?  You get tokens for the materials it took to build and outfit the ship.  This is calculated in a save when you place the insurance.  So you buy the insurance once you have it built AND outfitted with cannons, larder, water barrel, beds, etc...  So when you make you claim, you get tokens that you download into a crafting station.  This should be a download.  LIke a $ sign you click on, and if you have a claim to cash in, it drops that inventory in your crafting station, or maybe even better, that resource chest that holds a ton of stuff.  This would be important because when you lost your ship, you may have lost your base too, so this allows you to safely pull it into your storage.  I thought tokens you collect at a Freeport, and then take back to your base, would be good, but that would encourage campers who sit near this NPC, waiting to see people collect, and then follow and attack them once away from the Freeport.  Better to just download a claim in the chest.  This would allow you to rebuild, but also possibly make changes and improvements.  Or, as you suggest, they would have the option to put the resources into a one use blueprint that then creates the exact same ship.

9. I was thinking of something more like each person has a dock, and on that dock is an NPC, and you stock his shop with goods, and others come there to buy what you have.  You go to theirs to buy what they have.  The rates should be set already, to levels that have been tested by us to work well.  All you do is put what you have that you can craft or gather, into the shop, and others buy what is there.  You use the gold you collect, to buy from others.  I think this would be simple, and predictable, and create a reason to travel to other islands that may have what your island does not.  Everything should be for sale.  Everything.  From simple resources, to fish, to ship parts, to armor, to base structures, to ship structures.  Everything could be sold.  Made a few too many planks?  Sell them.  This would make this game come alive.  The fact that there is a disincentive to PvP, would mean that while you are never safe, you will make it to and from other ports, more often than not, which is really needed to allow trade to work.

I also suggest a new ship type.  A Cog, as a Starter ship.

• Like 2

Offline raid protection is the best idea. I mean, I wouldn't hear 5 people hacking at my door with picks and just sleep thru it? Nobody wants to constantly gather materials to build ship after ship.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

2. The idea is to have a system that makes you want to keep a low profile.  You want to pirate, but not so much that the Crown decides you need to be taken care of.  What this does is create a balance between small Companies and Mega Companies, as the Mega Company wouldn't be able to misbehave anymore than the small companies.  It removes their ability to be bullies just because they are big.  Their size would only make them more likely to be successful in a raid.  But they couldn't just go out and screw with people just because they can.  Their leaders would need to keep track of their unlawful deeds, and try to balance it so they don't end up on the most wanted list.

3. I agree that you don't want a mess of ships there, but some ships makes it interesting.  So how about this.  After 3 days, or after a certain number of ships are there at anchor, some ships start disappearing.  They aren't gone.  You just have to go to an NPC to have it removed from "drydock."  Now it appears in a drydock, and you can sail it out.

5 That's not a bad idea.  Why not combine it with the insurance?  You get tokens for the materials it took to build and outfit the ship.  This is calculated in a save when you place the insurance.  So you buy the insurance once you have it built AND outfitted with cannons, larder, water barrel, beds, etc...  So when you make you claim, you get tokens that you download into a crafting station.  This should be a download.  LIke a $ sign you click on, and if you have a claim to cash in, it drops that inventory in your crafting station, or maybe even better, that resource chest that holds a ton of stuff.  This would be important because when you lost your ship, you may have lost your base too, so this allows you to safely pull it into your storage.  I thought tokens you collect at a Freeport, and then take back to your base, would be good, but that would encourage campers who sit near this NPC, waiting to see people collect, and then follow and attack them once away from the Freeport.  Better to just download a claim in the chest.  This would allow you to rebuild, but also possibly make changes and improvements.  Or, as you suggest, they would have the option to put the resources into a one use blueprint that then creates the exact same ship.

9. I was thinking of something more like each person has a dock, and on that dock is an NPC, and you stock his shop with goods, and others come there to buy what you have.  You go to theirs to buy what they have.  The rates should be set already, to levels that have been tested by us to work well.  All you do is put what you have that you can craft or gather, into the shop, and others buy what is there.  You use the gold you collect, to buy from others.  I think this would be simple, and predictable, and create a reason to travel to other islands that may have what your island does not.  Everything should be for sale.  Everything.  From simple resources, to fish, to ship parts, to armor, to base structures, to ship structures.  Everything could be sold.  Made a few too many planks?  Sell them.  This would make this game come alive.  The fact that there is a disincentive to PvP, would mean that while you are never safe, you will make it to and from other ports, more often than not, which is really needed to allow trade to work.

I also suggest a new ship type.  A Cog, as a Starter ship.

just quoting because an upvote wasnt enough. 

My only thing is -  to point 9 - id like to see there be npc ships that can be hired out from these hubs that will transport goods for a fee. Give a bit more life to the sailing experience, seeing non-aggressive npc ships transporting goods.

• Like 1

I like that idea, and was thinking that this would be a good way for somebody to get started.  They gather stuff, and sell it, then get gold, then take that gold to a freeport, and buy stuff, and that stuff arrives on a ship.  Would be a cool idea.

1 minute ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I like that idea, and was thinking that this would be a good way for somebody to get started.  They gather stuff, and sell it, then get gold, then take that gold to a freeport, and buy stuff, and that stuff arrives on a ship.  Would be a cool idea.

works for smaller groups and solo players too. Set up a shop people can sail to and put in work orders. you build or harvest stuff for them.. then ship it out on an npc boat who brings back the gold once delivered. adds another element to the game which could be inviting to a different type of player.

• Like 1

I feel pretty certain they have some merchant mechanics planned.  We are on a pretty big island in an unofficial server, and there are some villages and ports that have ambient crowd noises there.  I am assuming that they will end up being areas to do business with NPCs.

Number 9 is one i really want to see would make specializing not as harsh if you could sell stuff for gold and buy the things you need especially from other players. It could also keep the mega companies from going bull if they pair it with a claim upkeep cost which requires gold after your first flag. 

Offline protection while anchored (and a corresponding debuff to cannons while anchored) would be my preferred choice.  We need some sort of safe places if we want to actually adventure and explore.

Honestly I loathe the Ark mindset of you can lose 20 hours of progress in minutes while YOU ARE OFFLINE at work or sleeping.  That shit is cancer.  By the same token I wouldn't mind if our hotbar stayed with us on death.  You have to choose between keeping important items in a hotbar slot, or useful tools/weapons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for number 10 on your list.

Does not the company rank structure allow you to set rank groups up and then set activation and use ranks on things like ships to prevent people you don't want in your company driving your bigger ships?

I'm pretty sure our company leader can set doors and buildings etc but as I'm not him I can't see for certain.

1) Safe Harborage would just create more and more ships and ships would not be destroyed enough you need the destruction of ships.

2)I most definatelly agree there needs to be a reputation system if your scum you should earn that reputation and be displayed as such it should have negative impacts like the 

ability to not use Town NPC's.   To be attacked bye the guns of the towns!  Free Ports should have cannons manned with NPC's just for that purpose!

3) Again No to this Safety net you keep reaching for, park in the dangerous world like everybody else!

4) Absolutely agree the Skill tree is terrible and doesn't provide for professions... Skills need to be Less thats right we have too many skill points!!!

At the same time we should be able to specialize in area's without have to learn 4 different tree's before it!  And we need real profession skill trees!!!

5)NO to insurance again another attempt at a safety net!  Live with the danger embrace it...

6) No offline raid protection either!  However they should implement the typical Siege system that MMORPG's use which is Lay a Siege and Defender chooses a time in the next 72 hours and then it goes live and its game on.....

7) Ship building is already TOO EASY... without the 3 times resource collection buff...  People are building Sloops in 1 day?!?  How is that so valuable you cant lose it???

8 ) disagree here too....  Ships of the damned should be normal atleast 5 in every NON Freeport or Lawless zone...  Freeports and Lawless shouldnt have them!

9)  Yes they need to buff trading more the economy is woefully lacking...

10) Nothing wrong with more robust perms!

21 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

It sucked to be base wiped in ARK, but as much as that sucked, most people were not emotionally attacked to their Square, ugly base.  And, it wasn't really hard to have a new base.  These ships are NOT square, ugly bases.  They are beautiful sailing ships.  The phrase, Romance with the Sea, comes to mind.

So how do you fix this in a PvP game?  Here are some suggestions.

1. Your ship has an amazing buff when near the shore of your home island.  This should not be a guess...you should see an icon denoting that you are buffed.   This buff should be such that people will not randomly blow up your ship...just because it's there.  Too costly.  If this is not done, Zerg Companies will just go out on patrol at night, while you are offline, and blow up ships they come across.  This will not sit well with most people.  Call this mechanic, "Safe Harbor."  This should apply to ships being build in a shipyard also, and maybe even be buffed even more to help reduce the times you end up frustrated by your ship being destroyed before it even sails.

2. Have a point system for lawful/unlawful reputation.  If you attack somebody, the meter goes toward unlawful.  One raid would not make you an outlaw.  The idea would be to slow this down so that it isn't constant PvP, just for the sake of PvP.  Also, the meter can be affected by "lawful" actions.  Too many unlawful actions in a short period of time gets your Company labeled as an Outlaw.  Now, a "Royal Navy," comes after you.  Reward flyers would also be posted, listing the location of the outlaw company's facilities...not ships.  Destroying their claim and buildings would net a large profit. A profit large enough to entice large alliances to carry it out.  So this would make Company's think before acting.  Yes, you could raid.  Yes, you could pirate, but not constantly.  Thus, even Mega Companies would only want to raid as much as a small tribe.  It creates repercussions for being bullies, just because you are big enough to do so.

3. Get rid of the decay at Freeports.  We don't need an incentive to go explore.  We DO need a safe harbor to anchor at, when our claim is stolen, and we temporarily have no safe place to anchor.  Instead, charge a port fee. This is realistic, as this is actually done in real life.  Call it a port tax.  You have to pay it in advance, with no limit for how far in advance you want to pay.  Allow the selling of resources to get the gold to pay.  The reason for no limit is that somebody may lose their base, but be heading out on a vacation for two weeks.  An arbitrary 3 day limit would screw them.  It's not necessary.  People WANT to create their own base.  They don't need an incentive to do so.  We came here for the sailing, and exploring.  Not the taming, fighting lions, etc...  We WANT to sail our ships.

4. Rethink the skill tree.  Don't make me choose between having combat skills, and taming skills, and ship building skills, etc...  I play a game to have fun, not do a job.  I do not want an ATLAS job.  One day, taming a wolf will sound fun to me.  Another day, building a ship will.  Another day, building on the base will sound fun.  Etc...   Every time one of those sound fun to me, and I can't, it will create frustration.  We don't play games to be frustrated.  We play to be challenged, and for fun...not to be restricted.  By the end, you should have at a minimum, you should have 90% of all skills unlocked.   Stop with the tangled web also.  Make them linear.  That is not boring, that is fun because we don't get angry when we have to spend points on crap we don't want, in order to get to the one skill we do want.  The current tree is not interesting, it's an abomination.  Unrestricting the tree will help us get back on the sea faster, when we do lose our ship.  Making the game noob friendly is not achieved by slowing progression.  New companies can compete better, when they can quickly get to the same level as the established Companies.

5.  Insurance.  Allow for an insurance system, to replace large ships that were destroyed.  If a lot of the suggestions above are implemented, this would not be as necessary, but if getting back into a ship is a slow painful process, this will save the game.  People want to sail ships, not repeatedly build them, over and over.  It should not be super expensive, and this could also be used as an incentive not to do too much needless PvP, as it could be made such that your lawful/unlawful rating could affect how much you have to pay for insurance.

6. Offline Raid Protection.  This was wildly popular on ARK unofficial servers.

7. Time to build a ship should be in line with how easy it is to lose it.  If you want ships to go down fast and often, then make it such that ships can be built fast, and often.  Kind of only makes sense.  Ships can't go down fast and often, if they aren't being built fast and often.

8. Ships of the Damned should be a rare encounter.  Very rare.  They are way too OP, since they do not suffer a speed loss when going into the wind.  To make them more interesting, however, drastically reduce their aggro range...very reduced, but the longer you are in sight of it, the more the aggro range increases.  Thus, when you see one, you want to instantly flee in the opposite direction.  So when you see one, you say, "Oh crap, let's get out of here before it spots us."

9. Give a real incentive, and mechanic, for trading.  If left up to the community to do on their own, it won't happen.  There must be a mechanic, and incentive for it to happen.

10. Create a much more robust permissions system.
- Captain - Owner
- Officer - Admin
- Experienced Deckhand
- Deckhand
- Recruit

Allow us to decide how much trust we want to put in each level.  We do not want a Recruit, Deckhand or Experienced Deckhand, to be able to move the ship, for instance.  Only an Officer or above should be able to name the ship.  Remember the fiasco we had with the new recruit, who named the ship something offensive.

Boats are worthless. Your base is going to be the crown gem. Boats are also a fine a dozen. You will lose a lot more boats than you will bases.

plus you are wrong because it wasn’t the base they were attached to in ark, it was their tames. The tamed them or breed them, took the time to imprint them and raise them. Level them up, name them. And get very attached you them.

yoy are right that bases aren’t that important but neither are the crappy boats 😂

tames are the most important thing 👍

11 hours ago, Scrad said:

As for number 10 on your list.

Does not the company rank structure allow you to set rank groups up and then set activation and use ranks on things like ships to prevent people you don't want in your company driving your bigger ships?

I'm pretty sure our company leader can set doors and buildings etc but as I'm not him I can't see for certain.

At present, there are many things that an owner needs to be able to limit to trusted players.  At present, only the things you could limit on ARK, can be limited here.  For instance, we had not decided on a name for our Brigantine, and a brand new recruit walked up to it and named it, "Ni--er Boat."  This is actually how I know for certain that the ghost ships were intended to do a soft wipe.  You see, I notified the Devs, and they did not immediately act on that to allow a name change.  This was 4 days before the update that gave us the idiotic Ships of the Damned in crazy high numbers.  2nd way I know is that when the reports came in of the destruction, they did not immediately turn those ships off.  Like it or not, they could have done that in minutes if they wanted to.  3rd was is the timing...right after they limited the skill tree.  But I digress.

Here are some things that you cannot lock players out of, that you need to.

Helm
Sails
Retractable Ladders
Specific Beds
Cannon Firing
Certain Crafting stations
Interacting with specific tames
etc...

Needs to happen.

11 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

1) Safe Harborage would just create more and more ships and ships would not be destroyed enough you need the destruction of ships.

2)I most definatelly agree there needs to be a reputation system if your scum you should earn that reputation and be displayed as such it should have negative impacts like the 

ability to not use Town NPC's.   To be attacked bye the guns of the towns!  Free Ports should have cannons manned with NPC's just for that purpose!

3) Again No to this Safety net you keep reaching for, park in the dangerous world like everybody else!

4) Absolutely agree the Skill tree is terrible and doesn't provide for professions... Skills need to be Less thats right we have too many skill points!!!

At the same time we should be able to specialize in area's without have to learn 4 different tree's before it!  And we need real profession skill trees!!!

5)NO to insurance again another attempt at a safety net!  Live with the danger embrace it...

6) No offline raid protection either!  However they should implement the typical Siege system that MMORPG's use which is Lay a Siege and Defender chooses a time in the next 72 hours and then it goes live and its game on.....

7) Ship building is already TOO EASY... without the 3 times resource collection buff...  People are building Sloops in 1 day?!?  How is that so valuable you cant lose it???

8 ) disagree here too....  Ships of the damned should be normal atleast 5 in every NON Freeport or Lawless zone...  Freeports and Lawless shouldnt have them!

9)  Yes they need to buff trading more the economy is woefully lacking...

10) Nothing wrong with more robust perms!

1)  No, this is not true.  I know you are not dumb, but you aren't using the critical thinking, I am sure you are capable of.  You DO NOT need these ships to be destroyed A LOT.  You just don't.  Pirates didn't even want to sink ships.  They wanted the cargo.  Sinking your ship was punishment for not cooperating.  But you are correct that the number of ships does need to be controlled in some manner.  Best way?  Taxes.  You pay a tax on your ship.  The more ships, the more the taxes, and this increases exponentially with each ship, regardless  of company size.  The size of your ship would also affect how much it causes the taxes to increase.  The big companies will squeal and whine, but be honest with them that they are trying to strike a balance, and encourage medium and large companies, while discouraging ultra small and ultra large companies.  They can also make this tax affect alliances, such that small companies can form an alliance and still be OK, but large companies cannot split into several companies and form an alliance.

Now how would taxes be enforced?  Well, a new form of SotD could be created, but these would be larger Galleons that are OP, and they constantly hunt you down for not paying taxes.  Or, a more fun way would be for flyers to pop up.  Bounties.  If you accept the bounty as an Admin or Owner, your Company now has an Offensive and Defensive buff against the offending Company's assets.  A significant buff that would encourage you to go on the offensive, and even form a temporary alliance to do so, if necessary.

2)  Thank You.

3) Sorry, disagree with you.  It isn't safety, it is good gameplay we are after.  Grinding should not be the focus of the game, and forcing that is a sign of lazy Devs. 

4) You simply want something different than most people, and that's OK.  We will not all agree.  Most people agree that they do not want to be permanently locked out of a majority of the game, and DO NOT want to be forced into Mega Companies just to be able to play the game.  As it stand now, I am level 40, and do not have nearly any skills I need in order to enjoy the game.  I AM NOT going to help fund a game that forces me into a small part of the game.  And some of these things, you just aren't going to do often enough to warrant spending the points on them.  You ARE going to be constantly attacked, and so we are forced to spec into combat and sacrifice trade skills, and carry weight, etc..  If they go in the direction you want to go, YOU will be safe at sea, because you will be the only one there.

5) This was an option.  People like you simply don't think things through.  You want ships to sink in high numbers, but then want the skill tree, and resource gathering to be so punitive, that ships simply won't be built enough for them to go down in high numbers.  Think Man!  Think!  You can't have it both ways.  Ships either need to sink less, or they need to be built more..CHOOSE ONE.

6)  That is at least better than going to bed and finding your ship destroyed upon your return, because an AI protection can never actually protect.

7)  Depends on where you do the building.  Where we built, people were constantly PvPing, and we spend as much time repairing what was built, as actual building.  Also, we moved to a non official, which also has the 3x harvest, but also a slight boost in skill points, and we have to travel significant distances on a large island, to find some of the resources we need.  With no large carry weight Dinos to help, this is no easy chore.  Rafts can't carry much.  Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.  Those building fast have large Companies. The majority want to play in a group between 6 to 12 people.  They want to game with friends, not strangers.  They do not want to be forced to trust, or follow people they do not like or trust.  Force them, and they will find another game.  Not like there aren't a ton of options in video games.

8 )  No...JUST NO.  Why do you want them to be watered down?  Sighting a SotD should make you crap your pants.  The sight of one should make you immediately run the other way.  Going after one should require teamwork, and large ships with a lot of guns.  They NEED to be rare and very dangerous.  If it gets to the point that anyone can take one down, they cease to be scary.

9) You will never get there with ships that are routinely sunk.  This is common math, and why countries pursued pirates.  Risk vs reward.  Who is going to load up a ship with hard earned resources, if there is a better than average chance it will be sunk after leaving port?  Common sense man.  If you want a merchant system in place, you are going to have to accept that his game can not be all about pure PvP.  It has to be PvEvP, with control mechanisms on the PvP aspect.

10) Thank You.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Realist said:

Boats are worthless. Your base is going to be the crown gem. Boats are also a fine a dozen. You will lose a lot more boats than you will bases.

plus you are wrong because it wasn’t the base they were attached to in ark, it was their tames. The tamed them or breed them, took the time to imprint them and raise them. Level them up, name them. And get very attached you them.

yoy are right that bases aren’t that important but neither are the crappy boats 😂

tames are the most important thing 👍

Boats are not worthless and if we want to see a robust economy system, we will need to move away from a pure PvP mindset.  Ships are not worthless, and thus the title of this thread. Do not underestimate how attached many people will be to their boat.  For the game to be MORE interesting, you need people to care MORE about their ship, not less.  The ship needs to be an investment.  It is the way in which you do business in a game with an economy, and a lot of water that needs to be crossed in order to do business.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Boats are not worthless and if we want to see a robust economy system, we will need to move away from a pure PvP mindset.  Ships are not worthless, and thus the title of this thread. Do not underestimate how attached many people will be to their boat.  For the game to be MORE interesting, you need people to care MORE about their ship, not less.  The ship needs to be an investment.  It is the way in which you do business in a game with an economy, and a lot of water that needs to be crossed in order to do business.

That is completely idealistic. Mind you I didn’t say wrong, because that would be cool and all but very idealistic. You will find that kind of economy on pve.

the type of person that plays wildcard cards are horrible people. You would never be able to set up an economy. 

Zunit himself said they were getting ready to crush all of the rp/pve pirates on the pvp server. He also is one of the mega companies.

everyone is going to be kill on sight. The only economy is going to go to the Megas. Now that they have built up they are ready for the very primal, pure, and ruthless pvp. 

They dont care about their ships because they can build another one in a couple hours. They are coming hard and the whole globe is getting ready to change.

anyone not in their company or alliance is an enemy. Your idea only hurts the medium to small companies.

believe me, Megas will love your idea and hope that it happens. It will take more time for the smaller companies to build back up, making it easier to claim their land as well 👍

That is why I suggested throttles specifically designed to limit, and even break up Mega Companies.

I think there is a reason that unofficial servers exist, and their numbers dwarf official servers, and that has to do with lack of vision on the part of the Devs.

9 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

That is why I suggested throttles specifically designed to limit, and even break up Mega Companies.

I think there is a reason that unofficial servers exist, and their numbers dwarf official servers, and that has to do with lack of vision on the part of the Devs.

Totally agree.

the thing is the devs like and favor the Megas. Mainly because the streamers are the Megas. All I was saying is don’t expect the devs to go anti-mega, because pretty soon they are going to get even MORE pro-mega.

yeah unofficials are way better. I give it 1 month and only 1 month until the Megas have taken most of the globe if not all. Within a week they already took a good portion and didn’t have all of their galleons yet. Fully loaded nonetheless.

complete slaughter brings in more twitch viewers so they are going to get as bloody as possible 

oh god and the Chinese and their duping. Smh. No matter how expensive or hard to make a boat is, all the Chinese do is dupe a bunch of ships and they really don’t care about ships. They can dupe 100 and just start ramming ghost ships all day long 

• Like 3

Pretty much agree with this entire thread 100%.   God I hope they do something anyways and don't just leave it mechanically as ARK!!!, call it good and add on content. 

About my only suggestion on top of this would be to have players retain their hotbar when they die.  Not their entire inventory, just their hotbar.  Have to choose what's really important to you, and give up spots of convenience that would be used for food or weapons or tools.

Zunit himself said they were getting ready to crush all of the rp/pve pirates on the pvp server. He also is one of the mega companies.

I've never understood peoples urge to actively drive others away from a game.  There's plenty of stories from Ark of people doing this on a server and than are left alone bored out of their minds as members stop playing.  Power plays, intrigue, and politics is much more interesting than hurr hurr I'm going to swarm your bases while you sleep.  It's like these people have never played crusader kings 2.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

1)  No, this is not true.  I know you are not dumb, but you aren't using the critical thinking, I am sure you are capable of.  You DO NOT need these ships to be destroyed A LOT.  You just don't.  Pirates didn't even want to sink ships.  They wanted the cargo.  Sinking your ship was punishment for not cooperating.  But you are correct that the number of ships does need to be controlled in some manner.  Best way?  Taxes.  You pay a tax on your ship.  The more ships, the more the taxes, and this increases exponentially with each ship, regardless  of company size.  The size of your ship would also affect how much it causes the taxes to increase.  The big companies will squeal and whine, but be honest with them that they are trying to strike a balance, and encourage medium and large companies, while discouraging ultra small and ultra large companies.  They can also make this tax affect alliances, such that small companies can form an alliance and still be OK, but large companies cannot split into several companies and form an alliance.

Now how would taxes be enforced?  Well, a new form of SotD could be created, but these would be larger Galleons that are OP, and they constantly hunt you down for not paying taxes.  Or, a more fun way would be for flyers to pop up.  Bounties.  If you accept the bounty as an Admin or Owner, your Company now has an Offensive and Defensive buff against the offending Company's assets.  A significant buff that would encourage you to go on the offensive, and even form a temporary alliance to do so, if necessary.

2)  Thank You.

3) Sorry, disagree with you.  It isn't safety, it is good gameplay we are after.  Grinding should not be the focus of the game, and forcing that is a sign of lazy Devs. 

4) You simply want something different than most people, and that's OK.  We will not all agree.  Most people agree that they do not want to be permanently locked out of a majority of the game, and DO NOT want to be forced into Mega Companies just to be able to play the game.  As it stand now, I am level 40, and do not have nearly any skills I need in order to enjoy the game.  I AM NOT going to help fund a game that forces me into a small part of the game.  And some of these things, you just aren't going to do often enough to warrant spending the points on them.  You ARE going to be constantly attacked, and so we are forced to spec into combat and sacrifice trade skills, and carry weight, etc..  If they go in the direction you want to go, YOU will be safe at sea, because you will be the only one there.

5) This was an option.  People like you simply don't think things through.  You want ships to sink in high numbers, but then want the skill tree, and resource gathering to be so punitive, that ships simply won't be built enough for them to go down in high numbers.  Think Man!  Think!  You can't have it both ways.  Ships either need to sink less, or they need to be built more..CHOOSE ONE.

6)  That is at least better than going to bed and finding your ship destroyed upon your return, because an AI protection can never actually protect.

7)  Depends on where you do the building.  Where we built, people were constantly PvPing, and we spend as much time repairing what was built, as actual building.  Also, we moved to a non official, which also has the 3x harvest, but also a slight boost in skill points, and we have to travel significant distances on a large island, to find some of the resources we need.  With no large carry weight Dinos to help, this is no easy chore.  Rafts can't carry much.  Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.  Those building fast have large Companies. The majority want to play in a group between 6 to 12 people.  They want to game with friends, not strangers.  They do not want to be forced to trust, or follow people they do not like or trust.  Force them, and they will find another game.  Not like there aren't a ton of options in video games.

8 )  No...JUST NO.  Why do you want them to be watered down?  Sighting a SotD should make you crap your pants.  The sight of one should make you immediately run the other way.  Going after one should require teamwork, and large ships with a lot of guns.  They NEED to be rare and very dangerous.  If it gets to the point that anyone can take one down, they cease to be scary.

9) You will never get there with ships that are routinely sunk.  This is common math, and why countries pursued pirates.  Risk vs reward.  Who is going to load up a ship with hard earned resources, if there is a better than average chance it will be sunk after leaving port?  Common sense man.  If you want a merchant system in place, you are going to have to accept that his game can not be all about pure PvP.  It has to be PvEvP, with control mechanisms on the PvP aspect.

10) Thank You.

1) Of course pirates want to sink ships.  Your version of a pirate may not want too but the chinese version of a pirate can you speak for them?  Or the steamer version of a pirate?  Or the hordes or 'Rust players and Dayz players pretending to be Pirates?  Of course there going to attempt to sink your ship.  If people will suicide ships to destroy mining barges in Eve you can be sure that many Pirates will sink your ship in Atlas!

2) Your Welcome

3) So Your initial safe harbor idea could work if its limited too ONE Flag ship a status a Guild / Company could give one of there ships and if its inside of there claim will be invulnerable but not its containers on the inside...  This is as far as I am willing to bend for you on this issue!

4) Star Wars Galaxies did the limited skills flawlessly they however gave you two characters so you weren't limited to being a crafter only etc...  I would like to see that here!  You need skill limitation to enhance the community's need to trade and barter!

5) I want the game to be challenging, resource gathering should be difficult building a galleon should be extremely difficult...  Like on the order of a capital ship in Eve difficult!

7) Rafts can carry plenty just level it up...  I frequently haul stuff from the safe zone to my home in the tundra like Fiber...

8  ) I think you dont realize why that SotD exists its the normal water borne PvE there is a Rare ship in game that makes you crap your pants the Ghost Ship these are two different things!!!

9) I am not playing this game for the PvP, and as it stands PvP on the water is not that big of an issue infact its nearly non existant the map is very large and pvp very easy to avoid if you have any knowledge of sailing...

10) Your welcome

2 hours ago, Kyorin said:

I've never understood peoples urge to actively drive others away from a game.  There's plenty of stories from Ark of people doing this on a server and than are left alone bored out of their minds as members stop playing.  Power plays, intrigue, and politics is much more interesting than hurr hurr I'm going to swarm your bases while you sleep.  It's like these people have never played crusader kings 2.

Most people (in large corps, but hey small corps isn't really a thing, not for long at least) aren't involved in any powerplay, intrigue, and politics. They are lucky to  be in a corp that lets it's low-ranked members even know about the future plans of the dude owning the guild. You are being told to gather fiber and you go and gather the stupid fiber hoping you'll be allowed to have some pvp fun in the future. If there's no pvp for a week long you quit. So large guilds basically have to randomly kill everyone on sight to keep slaves happy.

Edited by LaiTash
  • Like 1