Buccaneers

ServerGridEditor: ServerTemplate / Regions

A few questions about the servertemplates (e.g. regions like tropical, temperate, tundra, etcetera..).

1) Is it save to change the template/region on a already played map? 
We started with the default 2x2 grid and added a few island and I missed the point that also the maps could have different templates/regions. I know for example, moving island is very unsafe 'coz buildings are not bound to the island.

2) what are the main difference beteween those templates/regions?
i see for example that the color of the sea is different, rain Interval, etcetera but nothing gamebreaking, was my first impression?

THX

• Like 1

I've changed the underlying grid templates without adversely affecting anything... at least as far as I can tell.  At this point, unless someone has figured something out, I can't seem to figure out what the grid templates actually do.  

I did a little testing with the various islands before we finished our custom 2x2, and we placed the same island footprint (i.e. MNT_M_*), but of different types next to one another to see the differences.  I found that they are in fact very different, and it appears that the biome of the island along with the resources that spawn on it are built into the island itself.  I couldn't see any reason to believe that the grid template mattered.  However, I definitely could be wrong.

I did spent a bit of time going through the islands.json file that is included in the server grid editor files, and I was able to decipher the coding a bit.  I tried to validate as much as I could based on the islands.json contents, and the key I'm using looks like this.  The two letters are the last two letters in an island name:

CP / PO = Polar
WF / WT / ET = Temperate
EE = Equatorial
CL / CH = Desert
TR / ER / WR = Tropical
WU = Tundra

This does match up with some of the directories I see on the client side, specifically in steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Content\Atlas\AtlasCoreBP\HarvestComponents where they have resource assets listed in folders like C_HighDesert and C_LowDesert.  That matches up with seeing CL and CH as desert in the islands.json file.

Based on those files, what appears to be most important is a diversity of islands in your cluster for resources.  For example, if you only have tropical islands, like the base 2x2 grid, you are limited to only 2 specific types of metal (Cobalt and Copper), three types of thatch (fronds, roots, and rushes), and so on.  This makes crafting higher level items you get from flotsam or treasure map spawns impossible in some cases where you might need 3 or 4 different types of a specific resource.  If you want the potential to get every resource type, you need to have at minimum 9 different types of islands in your cluster.  

Now I need to go look at my own cluster to see if I have that variety!

Answer for 2.

Those server templates/regions are just a way to copy and paste server settings to different "sectors/servers". If you have 3 servers that you want to be temperate, its easier to just create one setting for all of them.