ForceTrainer

Map Issues Master Fix for Single and Clustered Servers

I've been having issues on my 2x2 cluster with the map working under various circumstances.  We went through a series of progressions of things working and not working, and it looks like we have an overall fix for map issues on our private server.  Maps are now working in all instances including the main map, zoomed in maps, treasure maps, and maps on clustered servers.  One caveat is we are using Nitrado hosted servers, so YMMV depending on your setup.  Thanks to a few different threads on this, including @Wardster's thread that led to the final solution for our cluster problem.  A bit of this is a rehash of the post here, and I wanted to give proper credit.

Exporting Your Maps

1. Download the latest version of the Server Grid Editor from Github here. The latest version will export all map files with the appropriate names, reducing the potential for errors and typos.
  2. When your grid is all set, turn off any layers you don't want to show up since anything you see will be exported.  I personally prefer "Show lines" and "Water Tile Background" only to be checked.  I found that having the lines helps players visualize the server boundaries and understand where they are in the cluster.  You can edit this file as well in Photoshop or any other editor if you want to add your own logos, server region numbers, etc.
  3. Run Export --> Export Just Map Image and Export --> Export: Just Cell Images.  These two commands will generate your map files.

Uploading Files to Server - Primary Server

1. On your primary server, delete any files that exist in atlasmain/ShooterGame/ServerGrid.
  2. Upload your new map files to that directory.
  3. REBOOT THE SERVER.  This is very important.  If you do not reboot the server the cell image files will not render properly and your regular map won't work past a certain zoom level and your treasure maps will be blank.  If you had existing files, they may show the old images instead of the new ones.
  4. Have all players delete the local map cache on their systems here: steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Saved\MapImagesCache.  They can safely delete all folders if they are playing on multiple servers as the maps will be re-downloaded if they don't exist.  This is necessary to ensure your updated map image is downloaded properly.

Uploading Files to Server - Expansion Servers

**Please note these steps have only been tested on Nitrado expansion servers.  Testing and reporting on success on clustered servers through other providers and/or privately hosted setups would be great!

1. On all of your expansion servers, create the folder atlasexp/ShooterGame/ServerGrid.  
  2. Upload your new map files to that directory.
  3. REBOOT THE SERVER.  This is for the same reasons as the primary server.

Copying files to all of the clustered servers is definitely a manual workaround, but even if you're running a 3x3 it's only a few minutes of work.  Hopefully this directly will be set to synchronize as part of a future update and/or batch job as part of server maintenance by Nitrado or other hosting providers.

Hope this helps!  This was a head scratcher for a few days, and I wanted to share what we learned with everyone.  

• Like 1

One point of clarification from @SixxGunZ, @NodOff, and a few others.  The directions above are necessary when running a custom grid of any sort.  I completely re-designed my 2x2 grid for our cluster, so it was necessary to get updated map images onto all the servers.  However, one issue we  ran into before we went fully custom was the lack of map images on expansions servers, and that can be fixed by uploading the map files to your expansion servers.

You can either copy the files from your main server's atlasmain/ShooterGame/ServerGrid folder to the appropriate folder on the expansion server, or you can generate the files via the Server Grid Editor.  The editor does come with the JSON file for the standard 2x2 setup.

Edited by ForceTrainer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ForceTrainer said:

One point of clarification from @SixxGunZ, @NodOff, and a few others.  The directions above are necessary when running a custom grid of any sort.  I completely re-designed my 2x2 grid for our cluster, so it was necessary to get updated map images onto all the servers.  However, one issue we  ran into before we went fully custom was the lack of map images on expansions servers, and that can be fixed by uploading the map files to your expansion servers.

You can either copy the files from your main server's atlasmain/ShooterGame/ServerGrid folder to the appropriate folder on the expansion server, or you can generate the files via the Server Grid Editor.  The editor does come with the JSON file for the standard 2x2 setup.

Thanks, I'm planning to make a custom map now that my other 3 server pre-orders have been fulfilled, so this guide will def come in handy. 

Awesome!  Our cluster has been running smooth for a week now.  The nice part about doing a totally custom map is you control everything, and we're actually finding that with the redesign we could probably be happy on a single server for some time.  I did a little write up about the different island variations and I started trying to figure out where different resources spawn, so check out this thread too.  I'm not sure how correct it is, but hopefully as people try things we'll learn more.

1 hour ago, ForceTrainer said:

Awesome!  Our cluster has been running smooth for a week now.  The nice part about doing a totally custom map is you control everything, and we're actually finding that with the redesign we could probably be happy on a single server for some time.  I did a little write up about the different island variations and I started trying to figure out where different resources spawn, so check out this thread too.  I'm not sure how correct it is, but hopefully as people try things we'll learn more.

Do any of your islands have Golden Age bosses/ruins? Or have you figured out how to make a specific island spawn GA ruins/bosses? 

There are a bunch of islands that end with PVE, and I have a few of them in my cluster.  One specific island, Cay_C_EE_PVE is the island that is in the Golden Ruins region on the official server, so my hunch says that's definitely it :classic_laugh:

I did take a trip down there when I was testing out my cluster.  It's NASTY.  You better come ready for a fight with 50 of your best friends.  

• Like 1

Aye man, I tried your fixes, and our maps broken still.

We are on a custom 2x2 with new islands, we 

1. Cleared the map files in \ServerGrid
  2. Added new files from Export map image and cell image and pasted to Grid
  3. Cleared our caches
  4. Restarted server
  5. Everything above 2/3x 
  6. I ticked Grid and Water title on the map editor and disabled everything else.
  7. The images inside the \Grid are 0,0 to 1,1 and WorldMapImage.jpg
  8. Still fog of war.

45 minutes ago, Reinhardt said:

Aye man, I tried your fixes, and our maps broken still.

We are on a custom 2x2 with new islands, we 

1. Cleared the map files in \ServerGrid
  2. Added new files from Export map image and cell image and pasted to Grid
  3. Cleared our caches
  4. Restarted server
  5. Everything above 2/3x 
  6. I ticked Grid and Water title on the map editor and disabled everything else.
  7. The images inside the \Grid are 0,0 to 1,1 and WorldMapImage.jpg
  8. Still fog of war.

A few questions since this will help others with using:

• Are you using a hosted provider (i.e. Nitrado)?  If so, which one?
  • If you're hosting your own dedicated server, have you ever had maps working?
  • Are you running all 4 servers for your cluster, or just one?

In #7 you said the images inside ServerGrid are 0,0 to 1,1 and WorldMapImage.jpg.  If you're referring to the files on your server, then the WorldMapImage.jpg is a potential problem.  The main map file should be named MapImg.jpg on your server.  It gets renamed to WorldMapImage.jpg when it downloads to your local system.  Here's what the files look like on my Nitrado server:

image.png.a0044e2d1c87354a2633640cb3f7b986.png

If the MapImg.jpg file is named incorrectly, I would recommend fixing that and restarting your server.  Also, be sure you're using the latest version of the server grid editor as it will export the map files with proper names, so you don't have to worry about typos or other human errors.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForceTrainer said:

A few questions since this will help others with using:

• Are you using a hosted provider (i.e. Nitrado)?  If so, which one?
  • If you're hosting your own dedicated server, have you ever had maps working?
  • Are you running all 4 servers for your cluster, or just one?

In #7 you said the images inside ServerGrid are 0,0 to 1,1 and WorldMapImage.jpg.  If you're referring to the files on your server, then the WorldMapImage.jpg is a potential problem.  The main map file should be named MapImg.jpg on your server.  It gets renamed to WorldMapImage.jpg when it downloads to your local system.  Here's what the files look like on my Nitrado server:

image.png.a0044e2d1c87354a2633640cb3f7b986.png

If the MapImg.jpg file is named incorrectly, I would recommend fixing that and restarting your server.  Also, be sure you're using the latest version of the server grid editor as it will export the map files with proper names, so you don't have to worry about typos or other human errors.

Hope this helps!

Okay, I renamed the \Servergrid to MapImg.jpg and restarted after clearing my cache too.

Still the same bug.

Answers to your Q/A: Unofficial personal server 2x2 custom map

First dedicated and official maps work.

The other server I played on --Gportal server had the same map bug.

• Like 1

I don't think it's as simple as re uploading after looking at the 2x2 template :

In the ServerGrid.json file @ line 4 "MetaWorldURL": "http://atlasdedicated.com/xkvLAefEmYagICAfkDqknUIceSobwBma/ServerGrid", <<< this address gives an error page 

and @ line 10 >>>  "MapImageURL": "http://arkdedicated.com/atlaspreview.jpg", >>> is the same file I am seeing in the >>>  \steamapps\common\ATLAS\ShooterGame\Saved\MapImagesCache <<< folder

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eS Netmad said:

Hey,

I have the same issue. Where are

"MetaWorldURL": "",

"MapImageURL": "",

?

in ServerGrid.json

• Like 1

So how do I fix this issue ? Our map and treasure map are broken.

I reuoaded to the the server grid and clears my cache 

• Like 1

Instructions dedicated servers

I have 2 dedicated servers and I ended up hosting my image files through my website and that solved the problem I now have the true map on the loading screen the minimap now works and treasure maps also work perfectly.

Create a directory on your website like the following http://yourwebsite.com/images/ServerGrid (or something along those lines)

upload all your exported cellImgxxx.jpg images and the MapImg.jpg to that location and edit your ServerGrid.json file  

In your ServerGrid.json line 4 and 10 I believe:

"MetaWorldURL": "http://yourwebsite.com/ServerGrid"

"MapImageURL": "http://yourwebsite.com/ServerGrid/MapImg.jpg"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Don't seem to be able to find any information on a slightly different treasure map issue. 

Our maps work when we get them but if we try to pick up any bottles above level 2.0 the bottle just despawns and we don't get the treasure map, making all our treasure hunts limited to 80 or so gold.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

As of Jan 3rd, 2019 the solution to the mini-map issues has only been released to Nitrado.
You recall on Dec 22nd the 3rd party game files were released to Nitrado, but not to other 3rd party server providers and they stated that they were working on game optimizations and bug fixing instead.
After Christmas, the game files were provided, but the instructions for the set up were not, and companies like Survival Servers were asking customers to be patient and to use single server setups in the meantime instead.
Now the minimap is an issue and only Nitrado was given the solution.
Nitrado has done well with this arrangement, so well that they are making paying customers wait days and even over a week for the servers they paid for and are only activating single servers to start and opening expansion servers days later when they expect server players to be rafting away from the freeports.
The victims here are both, the excluded 3rd party server providers and their many paying customers who are getting very tired of this debacle and the shoddy treatment they are getting.

In my ServerGrid.json

"MapImageURL": "http://thenetmad.co/ServerGrid/MapImg.jpg",

"MetaWorldURL": "http://thenetmad.co/ServerGrid/",

http://thenetmad.co/ServerGrid/MapImg.jpg

http://thenetmad.co/ServerGrid/

?

The name of each .jpg should stay http://thenetmad.co/ServerGrid/CellImg_0-0.jpg , Or i Should use CellImg_Avalanches_0-0.jpg instead ? (with the name of the serv on it ?)

it's supposed to be CellImg_0-0.jpg for the server that is at grix=0 and gridy=0

I have the same issue and as God is my witness, I will get this minimap running as well this weekend!
I tried hosting the images on my website with no luck. I have directory listing turned off on GoDaddy and am wondering if that is my issue for this workaround. I see from your link dir listing seems to work fine.

In your 2x2 grid you would have CellImg_0-0.jpg,CellImg_0-1.jpg,CellImg_1-0.jpg and CellImg_1-1.jpg as well as a MapImg.jpg file. The ServerGrid folder in ShooterGame would also have those files.

None of these options have worked for me, and I have followed them to the letter. Is it possible that we can fix it by manually adding the files from our server to the local client map cache folder? Can anyone with working maps please post me the exact file names of the cached maps on their local clients so I can try it?