Tko666

Ship Decay is killing the Game

I started to play that game with a few friends and after a short period of time i was the only one left playin this game. So i builded in 10 Hours a Sloop (smallest Ship) on my own. After i finished the boat and took it for a ride for some Minutes i went to bed. After sometthing like 10h AFK i logged in and found out my ship is gone. .. I am more than pissed right now. I ve a fuckin regular Job and like playing games, but still have some other stuff to do in my freetime. If u want casual players to play the game you should fuckin delete that idiot decay on ships. If i need 10 h to build, i cant farm all fuckin day to keep it alive. I want to be a pirate and explore.. not just fuckin farm mats for havin a boat that deletes itself after i  went to bed. I can see that game could be awesome...but plz delete that decay on ships...makes it unplayable for casual gamers...even people that kinda play 5 hours a day cant have their own ship cause of the farming u need to do...just for keeping the boat alive...this is more than Bullshit...its brainless... I really like the aspect of building and i have no probs with farming mats... but not if all my work is destroyed overnight..

Edited by Tko666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

try to make sure its anchored at shore , floating about on sea causes damage , dpmt blame the game if u dont understand the mecahnics

Edited by UDO
  • Confused 2

Wrong.  We anchored at a Freeport because there were no claims to be had, and the Ships of the Damned were killing everything.  This Brigantine almost decayed away in less than 1 day.  That is absurd, so don't blame absurd game mechanics on player ignorance.

• Like 1

Some people don't understand the game cause there is no FUCKING manual on how to play a broken fuck tard game.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Wrong.  We anchored at a Freeport because there were no claims to be had, and the Ships of the Damned were killing everything.  This Brigantine almost decayed away in less than 1 day.  That is absurd, so don't blame absurd game mechanics on player ignorance.

There is more decay in freeport than in any lawless server to prevent it from overcrowding I almost lose a sloop.

if there is really more decay at freeport and ships decay in a few hours ill point to the problem that some people are unable to sail to other islands and build there...

16 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

ans there ya go freeport , the devs have changed it to fast decay as too many pvp players were parking there to avoid damage overnight 

6 minutes ago, Wichtelman said:

if there is really more decay at freeport and ships decay in a few hours ill point to the problem that some people are unable to sail to other islands and build there...

they are not going to find land sat in freeport 😕

33 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Freeport and Lawless are newbie zones with accelerated rates of ship decay, to encourage people to head out and start exploring and building.  A 10k Raft will be destroyed in 10 hours, for example, without constant repairs.

10 minutes ago, Coggage said:

Freeport and Lawless are newbie zones with accelerated rates of ship decay, to encourage people to head out and start exploring and building.  A 10k Raft will be destroyed in 10 hours, for example, without constant repairs.

Stupid game mechanic, as I said.  People DO NOT need an incentive like that in order to get out and explore, and find someplace to settle.  BUT, they need someplace to park their ship when they are trying to find someplace.  And, there is no real way to protect these ships when you log off.  That WILL kill the game.  These are not ugly ARK bases.  They are romantic sailing era ships.  DO NOT underestimate how attacked people will get to these ships.  Not to mention that people want to sail on these ships, not constantly have to rebuild them because they get wrecked every other time they take them out to sea.  And what do you do when all you can do is park it near shore, on an island with a 5 dozen other Companies doing the same thing?  It's not like you have a secret bat cave to hide them in.  Mega Companies are going to wreck your ship while you are off line.  Oh, NPC's manning cannons?  Cannons don't swivel.  Not the big ones.  All they have to do is stay towards the bow or stern where the cannons aren't pointing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Stupid game mechanic, as I said.  People DO NOT need an incentive like that in order to get out and explore, and find someplace to settle.  BUT, they need someplace to park their ship when they are trying to find someplace.  And, there is no real way to protect these ships when you log off.  That WILL kill the game.  These are not ugly ARK bases.  They are romantic sailing era ships.  DO NOT underestimate how attacked people will get to these ships.  Not to mention that people want to sail on these ships, not constantly have to rebuild them because they get wrecked every other time they take them out to sea.  And what do you do when all you can do is park it near shore, on an island with a 5 dozen other Companies doing the same thing?  It's not like you have a secret bat cave to hide them in.  Mega Companies are going to wreck your ship while you are off line.  Oh, NPC's manning cannons?  Cannons don't swivel.  Not the big ones.  All they have to do is stay towards the bow or stern where the cannons aren't pointing.

Maybe bring in some sort of Docking Fee which makes your ship invulnerable to decay?

no place where i did not lose my raft even if i did not enter an island... thats why im stuck on on freeport with like 10 rafts full with mats unable to progress...

what_a_joke.JPG

Sorry but you built a Sloop, a 3 man ship, for yourself.. when you should stick to a Raft.   Unless you are hiring NPC crew... which again requires gold coins which means you probably arent doing it alone.  

How hard is it for people to understand this is a "team" game... not a "LONER" game.  If you want to play alone on a ship, there is other games for that.   

As for defending your stuff... learn how to build walls, around your building.. and NOT be on the lawless or free trade islands.   

Getting out and finding a place to set up is challenging but possible.  And it is getting easier everyday as all of the Day 1 locusts are fading away.   My company has already gone out and secured our little piece of our island.  And we are getting set up nicely.   If only people would learn that if you focused on something other than ME, you would find that this game is a LOT easier.   

But I come from other games where teamwork was a MUST, Life Is Feudal, Mortal Online, EVE, Ultima... just to name a few.  

EVE has a wonderful rule.

1- Dont fly what you cant afford to lose.  

2- Harden the f*** up.

• Like 1

Dumb.

People have no problems having a Company but they do not want to have to recruit people they don't know.  Not everyone wants to be in a Mega Company.  Some people like to roll with just a small handful of friends.  How hard is that to understand.  If the game can't be fun for them also, it won't survive.  We saw the numbers fall fast in ARK because they never addressed the problems that MegaTribes caused.  Eve is a niche game because it never addressed the zerg corporations.  Games are not about being "hardened,"  What a foolish notion.  Games are about having fun.  This isn't a job.  It's entertainment.  As if that needs to be explained.

In those many tribes of 6 to 10 people, some will play a lot, and some will only play a little.  The restrictive skill trees, equal frustration for those who play longer hours, when they need something that one of the offline members have the skill for.

But in the interest of fun, one day, taming an animal may be fun for me, but the next day, I may feel like building a base, and the next, building a ship, and the next, crafting things, and the next, doing some raiding.  A restrictive skill tree prevents me from having fun.  If I am not having fun, I want my money back.  I did not pay for a game that closes most of itself off to me.  It became that after I bought it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

this is a "team" game... not a "LONER" game

This isn't true at all. The devs never said this, but they did say that solo players will be supported.

Has anyone tried the decay reduction skill from the Captaineering tree? Does it reduce freeport decay? 

• Like 2

Yeah but in Eve, your ship logs out when you do so you never have to deal with offline bulshit.

O p made some very good points. The devs really need to listen. A ship that take so long to farm should not be destroyed so quickly while you are offline. If you are online and your ship gets destroyed from your own actions that's different. The fact that the ship's Decay like this is absolutely absurd and I have no idea why they have made this game to be so ridiculously punishing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kumiiyo said:

Yeah but in Eve, your ship logs out when you do so you never have to deal with offline bulshit.

This,

Staying online with your ship is a bad choice of the develepors for an MMO. Ship decay is a bad way of solving "o shit to many ships to many laggsss". they should think of something else. Ships in freeport are safe anyway. let them despawn.

The only reason we build a base was for safety of our ship. I'd rather just sail from port to port with other island in between like pirates..????

Edited by quazythain

Yeah that's a great idea that ships left in freeport's just despawn when the crew leaves the freeboard and spawn back in when they come back. There could even be a guy they have to talk to you like a shipyard master that you have to pay resources to to have your ship respawn like a valet service

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strawman said:

This isn't true at all. The devs never said this, but they did say that solo players will be supported.

Has anyone tried the decay reduction skill from the Captaineering tree? Does it reduce freeport decay? 

Solo players are supported you just have to play within your means.  Don't go trying building a Galleon because you have 20 hours a day to do it, and expect to sail it.  Just build a Sloop and use that.  Learn to hire NPC crew... which means learn to get gold coins... you may be rafting it for a while. 

I watched people do this in Life Is Feudal and they got wiped and rage quit, I watched it in Wurm Online.. and they rage quit... yet if people learn to build within their means then they won't have a problem.

5 hours ago, Hodo said:

Sorry but you built a Sloop, a 3 man ship, for yourself.. when you should stick to a Raft.   Unless you are hiring NPC crew... which again requires gold coins which means you probably arent doing it alone.  

21 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Solo players are supported you just have to play within your means.  Don't go trying building a Galleon because you have 20 hours a day to do it, and expect to sail it.  Just build a Sloop and use that.  Learn to hire NPC crew... which means learn to get gold coins... you may be rafting it for a while. 

Build a sloop.  Don't build a sloop.  I get better advice from a magic 8 ball.

The devs have totally borked the game design, that's the problem.  They got so excited about their game, they figured everyone would quit everything else they do and just play Atlas.  You get just about enough time to sleep before you gotta get back in and rescue your ship from decay.  You don't show up at your claim every 3 days and it's gone.  (IF you can get a claim, and weren't some poor slob with a life or a bad connection problem on day 1)   So quit your jobs, drop out of school, tell your family to take a hike, cause ARK  is not a game, it's a CALLING.  And yer gonna work work work at it until you drop, or need a shower, whichever comes first.

Why don't make a payment in base how many ppl are in the company? A large company with territory don't need dock their ship but if is a problem we can make a payment for how many player are in the crew. 

In other i think is a good idea make a little payment for small crew an equilibrate tax... Not to much and not really less. A compromise for eliminate the Freeport overload with 1000 slop and raft. 

Another idea is tax for dimension off ship. 

Sloop pay an amount. 

Brigantine more. 

Galeon more more more

If the company have 3 ship. And 1 is on a Freeport, that ship take a 2x of payment. 

I think is a good suggest but I wanna know the community opinion. 

Removing Freeport decay or de-spawning ships in Freeports will just make everyone log all their big ships there for zero risk.  Putting these behind a payment cost will give even more advantage to large companies.  There are plenty of alliances on islands willing to let wanderers settle if you ask.  It's to their advantage to have allies nearby if they themselves aren't big enough to hold an entire island because it means they don't have to worry as much about hostiles moving in if you've got that section locked down.  

I think I'll join this,

This discussion has been both interesting and comedic. From what I've gathered and now think, after wasting 20 minutes of my life is this:

The ship decay is rediculous, I 100% agree. Jack Shadow made some very good points in regards to the team-like play and I tend to side with him on this. Honestly, we all know that not every single person wants, or can be in a mega tribe. I know how these mega tribes work as I played competitive MC factions for prize money. At times they can seem like a damn job. For some it is fun yes, for others not so much. Many people just wanna hang out with their IRL or closer friends (as pointed out prev) I think that if that is not a managable option then 100% the game will plumet farther than its release sent it. Just my thoughts, props for making it to the end of this long and tiring cost.

Had a schooner moored all day outside our base at anchor, no degeneration damage.  You just need to get out if the Freeport and make sure your ship is anchored.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PsycoGamging said:

Revenant.. Not if the tax is applied I base of many player there are in the company and how many alliance and ship have. 

If you tax more the company the solo play can stay alive. 

Tax only on the freeport. 

Edited by PsycoGamging

16 hours ago, Wichtelman said:

no place where i did not lose my raft even if i did not enter an island... thats why im stuck on on freeport with like 10 rafts full with mats unable to progress...

Out of curiosity, how do you plan to get 10 rafts out with the decay system?  Plus, no offence, but the reason why we have a decay system is the multiple rafts clogging up the place.