darcek

Sextant

Not sure of its in game purpose I think there's a minigame involved like for digging for water which will give you a buff while sailing. In real life sextants were used to navigate using star constalations

It's a minigame that brings up a compass on your HUD and a minimap with your character on it. the better you do the longer it lasts

43 minutes ago, Jaybob32 said:

It's a minigame that brings up a compass on your HUD and a minimap with your character on it. the better you do the longer it lasts

The longer what lasts?

14 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The longer what lasts?

The buff you get....... Just not sure what that buff adzactly is it does

Buff just gives the minimap and compass. you no longer have to open your map 

Edit - Just did it again. Just a minimap and compass on your screen

Edited by Jaybob32

When you mark a point on your map, you can click on it and the sextant will display the direction and distance to that point. You don't have to open the map while sailing because you see that spot on the screen all the time.

Edited by Gaby88

It also shows local shipwrecks on the map to easily track them down.  Also at the bottom it shows latitude/longitude, current grid name, speed and bearing.   It is very handy and I never leave home without it.  If you take a boat out have a sextant and spyglass.  They are a must. 

Sick of people saying "I need a repairman on my boat!  About to engage a brig! "  2 minutes go by........"Nevermind its a friendly boat". 

USE A FUCKING SPYGLASS!

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Haha 1

BTW I keep forgetting to use it before departure. 

It's like that - I spend alot of time to gather food, resources, get tames from pen etc. Then all ready, I raise my anchor, set sails and after that I'm like: "WFT where is my map, speed and direction in degrees numbers? Oh, yeah, I forgot to climb a top of mast and use the minigame. Again. As usual! : ))"

There are 11 stars you can find so far. After that minigame ends anyway and you get 7500 sec of buff : )

Edited by George Catcher

I have sextant and used it couple of times, but… for everyday traveling, navigation with normal map is easier then climbing on the mast and playing annoying, bugged, stupid, not interesting mini "game"

However, sextant is useful for boat spead related research: close hauling angles, sail combinations etc

Edited by Goha

Why are you climbing that mast.... Do it before you sail with closed sails or in open water with closed sails. 

• Like 3

The mini game is full of frustration.  Sometimes there are no stars, or they do not spawn, or they spawn is a place where it wasn't before, it's like a star-whack-a-mole, that's more frustrating than fun.  Annoying at the best of times, but when you don't have LOS with the whole sky / horizon, it really is a mood destroying annoyance.

The buff, however, is really useful.  I never sail with out it, and sometimes you can get it to last a LONG time with the skills in it, for me it's a must have buff when captaining a ship, and I make the crew wait until I have wrestled that necessarily evil mini game.

I like the sextant buff because of the extended hud. 

For a few skill points you can unlock them. I dont know how long the buff stays and i dont know actually whats the advantage when you put some skillpoints in to go deeper in skilltree.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

I dont know how long the buff stays and i dont know actually whats the advantage when you put some skillpoints in to go deeper in skilltree.

The way I think it works is that there's two sets of skills, one does a multiplier on the time the buff lasts, and the other one gives you additional time to 'play' the mini game hence increasing the base time it lasts.  The minimum number of stars to get the buff is 4, but the more time on your game 'timer' allows you to surpass 4, so each additional star you get over 4 increases the length of time the buff lasts. 

In short, one set of sextant skills makes the buff longer, the other set of skills prolongs the agony of being able to play the mini game, but allows you to find more stars which continues to multiply the actual buff duration.  Once the mini game timer is up, that's how long the buff lasts.  So, both sets of skills combined is what you need.  To be honest, I'd bundle both sets of sextant skill trees into one skill.  Having two separate skills robs you of more important skills, but grabs you by the short and curlies because you need that extra duration, but it's pointless unless you're multiplying what you do have...  like wise t'other way around, no point in multiplying next to nothing.

As far as I'm aware I only have the extended duration and it's realitively easy with practice to obtain 11 stars on the unskilled base timer this will give you 2 hours of hud, compass, speed, heading and reveal all nearby shipwrecks

On 5/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, Vorxius said:

In short, one set of sextant skills makes the buff longer, 

Yeah, it says that at the description. Find 4 stars and stop and you get 3000s of buff. Skill that skill to extent the duration, do 4 stars again and you get 3000s buff duration again. So it doenst work atm. Wouldnt skill it.

Didnt test the other skill.

I only got the first 2 buff duration ones and most the times i can complete the game within the unbuffed timer.

Edit: able navigator skill gives both buff and minigame duration.

4 points spent on the skills to get the hud elements is good for me.

Edited by Jack Shandy

3 hours ago, Introser said:

Yeah, it says that at the description. Find 4 stars and stop and you get 3000s of buff. Skill that skill to extent the duration, do 4 stars again and you get 3000s buff duration again. So it doenst work atm. Wouldnt skill it.

Didnt test the other skill.

I got 9 stars last night...   Ended up with a buff duration of ~2 hours.

2 hours isn't bad for 45 seconds of self mutilation playing the mini game lol   (ok it's not THAT bad, but, i do have a tough time spotting the stars that pop up like hydrogen whack-a-mole) 

Edited by Vorxius
  • Like 1

I use it all the time, it is very useful just for the directional compass and heading. It also gives you all locations of shipwrecks on the map.

I think the most stars I've got is 7 and it gave me 7500s or something like that, you can use it in the daytime as well as the night. You also get the bonus of the mini map in the top left corner, this is useful to me when coming into islands, I know which are the shallow points without clicking for the other map.