Sign in to follow this  
ForceTrainer

Cell Images and Treasure Maps

I've seen a few threads on this, but unfortunately nothing seems to be working.

We have a custom 2x2 map, and I uploaded all the map files are directed into the ShooterGrid\ServerGrid directory.  I noticed with the initial release of the server grid editor that it was exporting PNG files for the cell images, so I tried the trick of just renaming them with JPG extensions, but no luck.  What I did find is that when I cleared out my local Saved\MapImagesCache file it downloaded CellImg_0-0, but it was the original image of the starting 2x2 map.

I downloaded the latest release of the server editor and found that it's properly exporting JPGs, so I went ahead and uploaded those.  I cleared my local cache, and still it's creating the original 0_0 image (which is odd), and treasure maps still aren't working.

The server is 7.32 now - anyone else having this problem?

Edited by ForceTrainer

For the folks looking, I did find a fix.  I wiped the map images on the server, re-exported out of the latest version of server grid editor, uploaded, and then restarted.  That seems to have fixed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this worked on my server too thank you so much .... 

giphy.gif

Edited by cpspok

11 hours ago, ForceTrainer said:

For the folks looking, I did find a fix.  I wiped the map images on the server, re-exported out of the latest version of server grid editor, uploaded, and then restarted.  That seems to have fixed it.

That work too, but an easyest way to do it is just open the .png and "save as", keep the name but choose the .jpg extension.

CelImg.png will become CelImg.jpg and you're fine.

Edited by Starbuck

2 minutes ago, Starbuck said:

That work too, but an easyest way to do it is just open the .png and "save as", keep the name but choose the .jpg extension.

CelImg.png will become CelImg.jpg and you're fine.

The main reason I went with that advice is 1) it will get people to update to the latest version of the server grid editor and 2) from a technical perspective changing the extension is an odd solution.  JPG and PNG are two completely different file type, and changing an extension from PNG to JPG doesn't actually make the file a JPG.

It's definitely technical semantics.  If it works it works, but it would be good if the devs throw this on the pile of technical debt cleanup for a year from now 🙂

9 hours ago, cpspok said:

this worked on my server too thank you so much .... 

giphy.gif

Yep.  I should've been more explicit, thanks cpspok.  I deleted all the files under ShooterGame/ServerGrid and re-uploaded all the map files (MapImg and CellImgs).

So if I understand this right.  Do ALL of the *.png extensions need to be resaved as *jpg's?  Or is that just the cellimg and mapimg's ?

I've been dealing with the same issue since I got my server running on my dedi last night and would really like a clear answer, some of these forum posts are a little vague.

@SixxGunZ - I just wrote a full guide here.  This should help with your question and get you rolling.  It took me a few days to get all this sorted, but we've got all our maps working now!

Edited by ForceTrainer

The way I understand it is that the files are already in JPG format, but just have a misnamed file extension. changing the extension from PNG to JPG corrects the issue.

I was able to figure it out.  I host on a dedicated server, so you might want to change that up a little bit in ur new post, but i'm sure your walk-through post is good enough for most people.  I do all my work on the machine I host, so there was no uploading anything :).  The explanation for the extension file types is the only important part, so to play it safe I just opened up each picture and resaved as a jpg for pure simplicity.

1 hour ago, Shield said:

The way I understand it is that the files are already in JPG format, but just have a misnamed file extension. changing the extension from PNG to JPG corrects the issue.

you are correct ! 

@SixxGunZ - The main reason I wrote that post and the need for the upload is I'm running a fully custom 2x2 grid, so I had to export all new map files.  Are you running the stock 2x2 setup on your server?  I'm interested to know if the base 2x2 setup on the Nitrado servers is built into the Steam dedicated server download.

Actually no, the 'stock' map files u speak of come from the grid editor which is a separate download, if u are using a VM server host then your host does all of that for u.  Dedi users have to do all of this separately from the dedicated server install.

Treasure maps shouldn't be blank, so the issue is more than likely due to the cell image files not being named correctly on your server.  There are a few options.  You can follow the directions here for uploading files if you have done any customization to your server grid or if you stood up the host from scratch yourself.

If you are using a hosted service (i.e. Nitrado), then you should be able to rename the CellImg files in atlasmain/ShootGame/ServerGrid to have a .JPG extension instead of a .PNG extension.  In either case, after you either upload or rename the files, you need to reboot the server.

It's such a crazy weird thing to have to do, you would think the grid editor would have done this part for you.  Ya know, saving correct file types and all.  I'm pretty sure this is due to the grid editor being so new for atlas, I think it was originally built for a different game.  I'm sure this issue will be handled soon, it's seperate from the game itself so we shouldnt have to wait for a developer patch for it.

Oh btw - Pro Tip #47

Make sure you have all the options turned off to display things like shipping paths/server names/island names etc etc lol

I didn't do this and uploaded the ones with literally everything displayed haha.

27 minutes ago, ForceTrainer said:

Treasure maps shouldn't be blank, so the issue is more than likely due to the cell image files not being named correctly on your server.  There are a few options.  You can follow the directions here for uploading files if you have done any customization to your server grid or if you stood up the host from scratch yourself.

If you are using a hosted service (i.e. Nitrado), then you should be able to rename the CellImg files in atlasmain/ShootGame/ServerGrid to have a .JPG extension instead of a .PNG extension.  In either case, after you either upload or rename the files, you need to reboot the server.

I run server on my own machine, I have them renamed like thist guide:

Unless that is not what I should do, I do have the rest of the maps working, just not the treasure ones.

@SixxGunZ - I tend to think it's more than the editor was an internal they used to create the maps, and it wasn't intended (at least not yet) to be used by the general populace.  There are all kinds of little things wrong with the editor.  Just the fact that it would export the cell images by default as PNGs was a perfect example of that, heh.  Thankfully the most current version of the executable fixes the export issues.

@TheSlayerNL - Two things.  1) Did you reboot after renaming the files and 2) You need to have all players delete the local map cache on their machine.  This forces the client to re-download the map files.

Thank you so much! This fixed my issues... been driving me crazy! I am having one issue after this fix. I have 2 servers. I put the files into the expansion like you said. The in game map works, the treasure maps work for zone A1, however, when I get a map for zone A2 they are still blank:-( Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, ForceTrainer said:

@SixxGunZ - I tend to think it's more than the editor was an internal they used to create the maps, and it wasn't intended (at least not yet) to be used by the general populace.  There are all kinds of little things wrong with the editor.  Just the fact that it would export the cell images by default as PNGs was a perfect example of that, heh.  Thankfully the most current version of the executable fixes the export issues.

@TheSlayerNL - Two things.  1) Did you reboot after renaming the files and 2) You need to have all players delete the local map cache on their machine.  This forces the client to re-download the map files.

I rebooted my server many times and I also deleted that cache file, I still see no treasure maps.

14 minutes ago, Lyr said:

Thank you so much! This fixed my issues... been driving me crazy! I am having one issue after this fix. I have 2 servers. I put the files into the expansion like you said. The in game map works, the treasure maps work for zone A1, however, when I get a map for zone A2 they are still blank:-( Any ideas?

Now that I think of it, I didn't test the treasure maps in the other zones, just the main navigation map.  I know that the main map was borked until we rebooted the expansion servers.  Did you happen to do that? 

I'm going to hop in now and see about the treasure maps.  The one thing that makes me think things are working properly is my local map cache for the first time has all the files:

image.png.cbfa36b54474c1c5aa5f7dd5347e674e.png

Are you using a hosted server (i.e. Nitrado) or your own?  I tested this to work on a Nitrado server, but haven't done anything with dedicated servers yet, so not sure if there are other issues.  @SixxGunZ is rolling a dedicated server and might be more help there if that's your situation.

@Lyr - Just tested in a second zone.  Had maps from two different regions, and both were displaying properly.  Here's an A2 map working.  Unfortunately not sure what issue you're having since everything is working on my cluster :classic_sad:

image.thumb.png.fe74f42878394b303ad2eb344e267201.png

Thx, I did realize I forgot to do something and was working on that when nitrado started fooling with my servers...I had a ticket in because my main server keeps shutting down. I will check on that when I can get back on. I did restart it. Thx:-)