Sign in to follow this  
Big Bojangles

So I don't get this game?

Why would you encourage people to troll others on rafts?  We set sail on a raft from far away to bring sugar and paste home in the tundra where we have to leave for fiber and other mats, we have no other way to get them there because a sloop would get destroyed by the damned.  Halfway home we had a brigantine sail up to us and demand we stop so they could take our loot saying they knew what we had because of piracy.  So have a system that is hard to get started and then allow people that have the resources to have a ship of that size to just troll upstarts on a raft?  This game at every turn is forcing you into a larger company or to uninstall the game.  I beg grapeshot to apply some common sense to their mechanics and make your game playable for the people that didn't get a huge head start in a large company otherwise how can you ever expect to retain new players?  Sailing is already super boring especially on a raft and takes hours and its just gone in seconds from some dudes that want to be dicks for the sake of being dicks.

A pirate violated by piracy...

Unfortunate m8 but that's the game.

Edited by Teach

Yeah but why is that the game?  Is this rust or a pirate themed mmo?  Most mmos that I have have mechanics that limit griefing, like in a lot of cases you cant kill someone x levels lower than you.  So why couldnt they make it so that rafts can not get attacked at all, who wants to sail a raft with little to no wait unless you have to?  They dont let ships of the damned attack rafts why players?  They could also limits ships to only be able to attack other ships within one tier range of eachother, the ammount of trolling they allow in this game is utterly insane and I don't see how they would want a system that encourages griefing players to make them quit instead of a balanced game to allow people to fight at the higher levels.

If they made rafts un-attackable everyone would use rafts for griefing which would then defeat the whole purpose of not being able to attack rafts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Bojangles said:

Yeah but why is that the game?  Is this rust or a pirate themed mmo?

Not being funny but the game was sold on a theme of pirates, if "safety" on a raft is what you want go to a PVE server or simply wait to get a bigger ship and sail with that instead. If the tides were turned and you were on the bigger boat and see a small raft, what would your first thoughts be? 

I have been on that raft, ferrying wheat across 7 servers against wind and being chased plenty of times and trust me I've been caught twice doing it. They saw the opportunity and took it, simple as that. 

IMO either don't sail a raft with the hopes of keeping everything or sail a bigger boat with some defenses.

I dont want to sound rude but everyone gets frustrated, more so at this game, its unforgiving and is bound to kick you when youre down. Keep at it

Edited by Aplox

47 minutes ago, Aplox said:

Not being funny but the game was sold on a theme of pirates, if "safety" on a raft is what you want go to a PVE server or simply wait to get a bigger ship and sail with that instead. If the tides were turned and you were on the bigger boat and see a small raft, what would your first thoughts be? 

I have been on that raft, ferrying wheat across 7 servers against wind and being chased plenty of times and trust me I've been caught twice doing it. They saw the opportunity and took it, simple as that. 

IMO either don't sail a raft with the hopes of keeping everything or sail a bigger boat with some defenses.

I dont want to sound rude but everyone gets frustrated, more so at this game, its unforgiving and is bound to kick you when youre down. Keep at it

I mean no they are only on a raft that barely holds any weight and take forever to sail as is.  Why would I take it from them when I could easily sail to get it myself as easy or faster?  Also I look at a PvP community more as PvP as needed not every chance I get so that I don't contribute to a toxic game and community that no one wants to play, but thats just me maybe im too old school for these new generation rust trolls.

Its funny that people always defend the game by saying 'it's a pirate game,' when what they're defending is anarchy.  Pirates did not live in an anarchic society.  They lived in a society very tightly bound by rules, in the cracks opened by the vast open distances that once used to exist between countries and colonies.  They were not big swaggering dicks, they were rats scuttling around in the walls. 

Not really coming down on one side or another, but if they were truly capturing the spirit of piracy they would be attempting to set up some sort of counter force, a governmental faction which was vastly overpowered compared to the pirates, which the pirates had to avoid if they wanted to continue to play.  That would be difficult to code though, so instead its just ARK on the water, where only no-lifers are allowed to enjoy official servers despite the whole machine requiring casuals to play to be easy targets to satisfy the no-lifer core's desperate need to feel powerful.

• Like 3

The entire way this game is setup is preventing newer players who are not playing from day 1 to not be able to get going and be able to play unless you are playing in a super large clan where they can just spoon feed you why do you think the game is dieing so fast minus a million and 1 issues they had since before they pushed their launch 4 times plus you have to look at the skill points update they threw in without a map wipe giving the larger groups even more of an advantage over the smaller ones   they have set this game up for failure non stop and continue to do so hence 70%+ negative reviews on steam   it is a shame too the game had so much potential 

LOL is this your first survival game? You know why they took your stuff ? Because they can. That’s what open world PvP games do on a PvP Server. It’s the same in nearly every open world PvP Game. PvE Server, that’s where you should go.

Even in PVE people can kill you with a repair hammer while sleeping using alpha animals to breach walls.

This is all about people and how they chose to behave. There is currently close to no need of a trading system that would people give a profitable option to looting others. Not even on the PVE server.

its a fish eat fish game and the bigger fish will always win

sailing across the sea in a raft is obviously a pretty nooby move, I've not had any trouble avoiding ships of the damned in a sloop and I think youd be surprised how slow brigs can go sometimes when theyre weighed down with cannons so Id really recommend a sloop tbh

Just to clarify this is more a rust game than an mmo. Mmos have balancing so that new players have more of a shot, and you can find enjoyment regardless of the cheaters. The griefers and chinese swarm will kill these servers like official ark eventually. So I wish they wouldn't call this an mmo. This game style CANNOT work for an mmo.

I wish you luck though, pvp will always be difficult. Maybe pve would work put better for ya. 

Edited by NyanRose

Yeah to everyone replying to this post I understand what PvP is, but they want this to be an MMO not a rust or ark clone.  So I am trying to give my feedback on how your supposed to survive as a smaller group of people just starting out.  If there are not systems in place to get new players to mid game then everyone will be discouraged from playing the game and you won't have anyone to rob in your PvP server down the road cause all those people will get told by you to just go to PvE or quit.  They will most likely just quit at that point and you will kill the game by creating your own toxic community.  OR you could just ask for balanced systems in place to help stop griefing or make a downside to being a pirate so their is a proper risk vs reward and you can grow a community and make a fun experience in the game for everyone.  

I typically use a raft to transport goods. It's easier and costs less than any other ship and if upgraded can carry more weight. Yesterday I transported 20k fiber from a freeport. Twice. Didn't have any issues. That being said, I made sure my home server was no more than 1 server away from a freeport.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:21 AM, SoloHan88 said:

. That being said, I made sure my home server was no more than 1 server away from a freeport.

1 server away from a freeport is lawless so you STILL have no home..

next time just drop everything. So they get nothing or less.  

for transport: Build a "speed schooner".  no gunports, one large speed sail, one small handling sail and 2 npcs on the sails. Be sure you don't have more than 50% from the weight. We do this now for 2 weeks and transported tons of materials.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:58 AM, Big Bojangles said:

So why couldnt they make it so that rafts can not get attacked at all

Wow. Yeah let's allow megas to just bring a ton of invincible rafts to fuck you up because it's not like they play super easy mode game already right?

Just build a sloop. It's dirt cheap, fast, and small so most people aren't good enough to glide on them.

Edited by LaiTash

we have no other way to get them there because a sloop would get destroyed by the damned.

That's a bullshit excuse. They would if you sail straight into their aggro range instead of changing course to avoid them and your vessel is at its weight limit.

You have a team? Build a transport schooner no cannon, large speed sail+small handling sail, one bed, one ressource box with bare minimum to repair the decay, no extra plank since you are supposed to outrun any warship trying to shoot you, empty boxes and all levels your ship will gain in +weight. You go empty, then you sail back under 50% weight.

Or build several sloops to spread the weight on several ships, each sloop can be handled by a single player.

Edited by James Sulivan

20 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

If you were ABLE to put a large speed sail on a sloop and level weight you could easily out run SotDs

I corrected it for you =]

Unfortunately, you aren't able to do this. 

Edited by ShoulderRabbit

Run multiple sloops. If you can make them, put a swivel gun on them and bring some Greek fire. Greek fire is super nasty and a larger ship can't approach you without sniping everyone off the ships. They will have to either sink the boats or risk losing their ship if they can't keep the repairs up.

Some tips on this style of boat. First, don't build a full cabin. It wastes weight. Instead build lower than the main deck. Put a half wall under the deck and attach your ceilings to that. This lowers you and presents a smaller target to snipers. Use a Med speed sail. Place your wheel either just in front or just behind it. Place large storage lockers on the deck to either side of the wheel. They will block the easy sight lines to you from the sides. Use half stairs at the ends of your deck to connect your floors to the deck and leave the sides open. You can crouch down and walk under the deck to get to either end of the boat without exposing yourself. Make sure your swivel gun can fire over the railings. You can either place it on a railing or put it on a gun post. Place a bed where ever you have room. Name your ships "I have fire".

This type of sloop is just for running supplies. It does not try to protect the bed, just the captain. With multiple ships spitting fire and a shielded wheel any pirate attempts should not be worth the trouble. If you don't have access to Greek fire leave the swivel gun off and make sure to keep a bow and flame arrows on you. Keep the sloops close enough together that you can support each other, all the effort in prepping more than one ship is a waste if you are too far apart.

This is a survival game. And a PvP game. If you dont like to get ganked in PvP, simply dont play on a PvP server.
So, why would I, as a PvP-player, attack a raft? Because its PvP. I dont have to farm stuff, since other players farm stuff for me. Why should i leave him, making it possible for him to grow up until he is strong enough to attach ME?

I know, its hard to lose. But get used to it.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, Big Bojangles said:

Yeah but why is that the game?  Is this rust or a pirate themed mmo?  Most mmos that I have have mechanics that limit griefing, like in a lot of cases you cant kill someone x levels lower than you.  So why couldnt they make it so that rafts can not get attacked at all, who wants to sail a raft with little to no wait unless you have to?  They dont let ships of the damned attack rafts why players?  They could also limits ships to only be able to attack other ships within one tier range of eachother, the ammount of trolling they allow in this game is utterly insane and I don't see how they would want a system that encourages griefing players to make them quit instead of a balanced game to allow people to fight at the higher levels.

It's clear PVP just isn't for you. Try the alternative PVE mode it has all the protections you seek. 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, Incorporeality said:

Its funny that people always defend the game by saying 'it's a pirate game,' when what they're defending is anarchy.  Pirates did not live in an anarchic society.  They lived in a society very tightly bound by rules, in the cracks opened by the vast open distances that once used to exist between countries and colonies.  They were not big swaggering dicks, they were rats scuttling around in the walls. 

Not really coming down on one side or another, but if they were truly capturing the spirit of piracy they would be attempting to set up some sort of counter force, a governmental faction which was vastly overpowered compared to the pirates, which the pirates had to avoid if they wanted to continue to play.  That would be difficult to code though, so instead its just ARK on the water, where only no-lifers are allowed to enjoy official servers despite the whole machine requiring casuals to play to be easy targets to satisfy the no-lifer core's desperate need to feel powerful.

Its a PVP game with a Pirate theme. There are so many of these quasi PVE types masquerading as PVPers on here lately. If you want silly rules play PVE.

PVPers like to roam and murder and plunder without limits or lawyers.