Sign in to follow this  
Stankfister

Why do ships of the damned go across map borders?

All of the fanboys are blaming the players for not sailing properly with a sloop that can oh so easily outrun ships of the damned. However, they follow you across zone lines! When you zone over and are loading, in they pop, when you put your sails up with no wind, they just motor boat on over and kill you. This is so unbelievably stupid, you cant even outrun these things because you HAVE to cross a border at some point and they are everywhere. 

because there are no borders, it is one large ocean, the only reason you "see" borders, is because they physically are different servers, so treat the map as one big map not 100 small ones

yes but as you are on the "loading" screen. they catch up. and spawn right next to you. and they fuck you left and right.

happend to me, today. was switching sectors. and on the other side where 2 red lvl 50s about 10 meters from me. you cant even see them from where you came from.

Edited by Sigmaris

1 hour ago, Littlebits said:

because there are no borders, it is one large ocean, the only reason you "see" borders, is because they physically are different servers, so treat the map as one big map not 100 small ones

While this is mechanically true, it's also not fair because you can blindly transition across a border right into a waiting damned ship with no warning whatsoever, but if you then try and use the same transition to flee, the ship will chase you until you are dead, likely loading before you do, because they are operating server-side and have less load time to become active. At least if transitions stopped them, we'd have a fighting chance of meta-gaming our survival from an equally meta-gaming ambush.

Edited by RyuujinZERO
  • Like 1

Ah yes. I also tried to use the borders as a safety net. Made three runs back and forth between 3 tiles dodging the damned things.  On the forth run in a sloop I crossed a border only to be engaged at close range. Swung the ship back through the border and sighed in relief.  Seconds passed and then to my horror I heard the cannons firing. Sure enough the foul thing was still giving chase.  That is when the maelstrom started. Sometimes you get no breaks on the open sea.

34 minutes ago, Sigmaris said:

yes but as you are on the "loading" screen. they catch up. and spawn right next to you. and they fuck you left and right.

happend to me, today. was switching sectors. and on the other side where 2 red lvl 50s about 10 meters from me. you cant even see them from where you came from.

Loading screen??? I have my game on SSD I don't have any loading screen when crossing borders  almost seamless for me

switching from server to server is like a 2 second stall...

only tip I can give you is into the best wind, full sails and off you go

yes they can hide when you zone, that's just life

On 12/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, Stankfister said:

All of the fanboys are blaming the players for not sailing properly with a sloop that can oh so easily outrun ships of the damned. However, they follow you across zone lines! When you zone over and are loading, in they pop, when you put your sails up with no wind, they just motor boat on over and kill you. This is so unbelievably stupid, you cant even outrun these things because you HAVE to cross a border at some point and they are everywhere. 

Yes this is stupid. They should stay away from shores and grid borders. 

On 12/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, RyuujinZERO said:

While this is mechanically true, it's also not fair because you can blindly transition across a border right into a waiting damned ship with no warning whatsoever, but if you then try and use the same transition to flee, the ship will chase you until you are dead, likely loading before you do, because they are operating server-side and have less load time to become active. At least if transitions stopped them, we'd have a fighting chance of meta-gaming our survival from an equally meta-gaming ambush.

I did exactly that the other night. Crossed a server line and ran right into the side of one. Tried to turn and run hoping it wouldn’t cross lines but it did and gunned down my sloop. Couldn’t avoid it because I couldn’t see it across the line. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, Stankfister said:

So what? Last night I sailed halfway across the map east to west. 11 zones in a sloop. Saw plenty of sotd. My sloop pulled into base with its cargo. I was not fired upon even once. I died three times due to sharks, and once to crocodiles. Something is wrong with your sailing abilities. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, Stankfister said:

To get to the other side 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

wait that wasn’t a chicken crossing the road joke was it? 😔