archaegeo

Most people still griping about ghost ships aren't prepared....

Yes, i do agree there are still too many of them, but thats what EA is for is fine tuning....

That being said, most people going out and getting sunk by them are doing it to themselves....

They either:

1) go out solo on a sloop or higher - You need at least 1 person on wheel and 1 person per mast (NPC or crew).  If you dont have that you cant react fast enough to avoid them if thats your call

2) go out without cannons and #1 - Cant fight, but you arent prepared to run, using normal sails vice speed sails that let you get away.

3) dont understand how to run with the wind, determined to get to where they are going regardless of the threat.

Crews going out with enough people are escaping the ghost ships easily (though again, there are too many).  Crews going out with cannons are sinking the greens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, archaegeo said:

Yes, i do agree there are still too many of them, but thats what EA is for is fine tuning....

That being said, most people going out and getting sunk by them are doing it to themselves....

They either:

1) go out solo on a sloop or higher - You need at least 1 person on wheel and 1 person per mast (NPC or crew).  If you dont have that you cant react fast enough to avoid them if thats your call

2) go out without cannons and #1 - Cant fight, but you arent prepared to run, using normal sails vice speed sails that let you get away.

3) dont understand how to run with the wind, determined to get to where they are going regardless of the threat.

Crews going out with enough people are escaping the ghost ships easily (though again, there are too many).  Crews going out with cannons are sinking the greens.

Ah more EA BS 😂 no it is not about preparation. It is about a broken game that can’t even be considered early access 😂

that was a waste of a few paragraphs 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi ARCHAEGEO,

I was wondering if you have any info (or where I can find it) on the sails? I build sloops for my travels and have 1 small speed sail and another (can't remember the name) for steering I think? Is there a way to make my sloop faster? Would 1 medium speed sail be faster? 2 small speed sails etc?

I man the sloop (mostly) on my own and have been able to avoid most of the damned. The times I get too close (transferred into new server right into one lol), I got my hubby to spawn in and help me by repairing damage while I dealt with sails/steering and managed to get away. Though if I can be faster to avoid these things, it would make my trade/cargo runs more pleasant :).

Thanks!

~Samantha

To my knowledge if you are going to sloop you 100% want 1 crewman per mast, 1 for helm.  Can be NPCs if needed.

And yes, 1 med speed or 2 small speeds.  So far, with the way sailing it, its seldom maneuverability that gets you killed, more often its the inability to run.

All that said, till they turn down ghost ship spawn rates, im leaving my sloop in port.  You can do it, its just not fun.  

1 or 2 ghost ships per grid would be ok, 3-4 right on top of you everytime you go anywhere is a huge hassle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archaegeo said:

They either:

And when the 3 Ghost ships rolled into our Bay last night killing everything anchored there and everything in the ship yards that were being built , Had it coming right?

Fact is the patch to "fix" these from last night didn't do it. I wasn't out on the Ocean before the patch but if this spawn rate is 60% lower there wouldn't have been room for a large ship to fit between the Ghosts. The most I counted on the screen at once was 9 and maybe that's cool for your ubershipofslaying but I don't think many people would agree with you.

• Like 1

Thank you! I will go with 1 med speed for my next ship then.

Unfortunately, I need to take the risk because by tundra base needs fibres lol.

I noticed the patch they did overnight was supposed to reduce the damned. Is there still a ton out there?

Thanks!

~Samantha

It really feels like either the 60% reduction didnt occur, or that if it did, they didnt remove existing spawns and we keep getting 40% more.

They are everywhere, raft sailing is the only way right now sadly unless you are intentionally going out to hunt them.

Our schooner sunk six of them before the swarm finally dragged us down. We thought we'd escaped through the server wall, but there were two more waiting literally on top of us as we emerged. They are unending waves of horror and lamentation.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, archaegeo said:

To my knowledge if you are going to sloop you 100% want 1 crewman per mast, 1 for helm.  Can be NPCs if needed.

And yes, 1 med speed or 2 small speeds.  So far, with the way sailing it, its seldom maneuverability that gets you killed, more often its the inability to run.

All that said, till they turn down ghost ship spawn rates, im leaving my sloop in port.  You can do it, its just not fun.  

1 or 2 ghost ships per grid would be ok, 3-4 right on top of you everytime you go anywhere is a huge hassle.

Good information. I've been looking everywhere to find out what sails to put on the sloop. So if you have the manpower for the sails, are the 2 small speeds faster than the 1 medium speed sail?

Sounds like if trying to sail solo, the 1 med speed sail is the way to go.

9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Good information. I've been looking everywhere to find out what sails to put on the sloop. So if you have the manpower for the sails, are the 2 small speeds faster than the 1 medium speed sail?

Sounds like if trying to sail solo, the 1 med speed sail is the way to go.

Wild, I have tested, wish i could tell you, but yeah, if solo, 1 definitely, but id still avoid slooping solo, at least get a npc to man the sail.

15 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

Our schooner sunk six of them before the swarm finally dragged us down. We thought we'd escaped through the server wall, but there were two more waiting literally on top of us as we emerged. They are unending waves of horror and lamentation.

Wow, nice work!  And yeah, if they had been reasonable population you would cleaned up with 1 or 2 worth of loot.

fuck this. 

how long are we supose to prepare ? 

I played days (i have a life ..no shit) to get a sloop. 

if you play alone (which is bad but should be doable .. heck its doable in eve online...) you wont ever have enough skills to get everything you need to be "prepared"

you need the ship, which itself takes tons of skills. 
I am level 16 and I barely was able to get everything that is needed to built the thing. 

i am still lacking ways of cannons or whatever is needed to actually fight back. 

cannons are what level down ? like 30 ? 

and how many materials are needed for that ? 

how long am I supposed to get beaten up by unbalanced, endlessly spawning mobs to gather that ? 
Or am I supposed to work on the starter island for ever ? 

would be ok.. a lot of people do actually that. bad thing is and your pro players probably forgot: YOU DONT LEVEL THERE

if I had the time and energy to play with a bunch of people I am damn sure it would work fine.. but this is unbearable

• Like 1

listen the author we are just not prepared... 

but I have THE solution for avoid ghost ship => refund 😄 

• Haha 1

Lost two Schooners to them now one before the update and one after. One was in a cove, neither manned by anyone in the company. I don't understand how the second happened either as that was meant to be patched. So I fail to see how I wasn't prepared for it, do I just stay up 24/7 ARCHAEGEO?

it's also 10 metal per med cannon ball, and at the moment they are just everywhere you get some equal in reward. This is poor play test management on the game creator part not lack of player preparation, it's clear no testing was done for them, when you maintain a private server you'll see how ridiculous they are.

The best way I've seen to kill them is 3-4 players swimming up trapping them and using melee weapons... done this twice now, almost no metal used doesn't save the boats and very little reward returned.

little reward returned ? did I missunderstood anything ? 

we are supposedly gettig rewrads for taking down ghost ships. 
so doing so with no invest at all (melee) is the biggest reward.. unless you meant something else..

(it sure is not rewarding gamewise to use melee when it should be cannons)

btw: 10 metal ?? 10 ???
oh my god. so carrying ammo for ship means no more space for goods and cargo. great job

also: small ships are literally helpless against those ships anyways. I mean whatguns are we supposed to put on sloops ? 

• Like 2

Lucky I am on a raft because they ignore those. Why lucky? Because I can walk up to one of them 40 yards along the beach from my anchored raft. There's another one another 40 or 50 yards further along. How would ANYONE be able to handle that!?! Particularly when sleeping.

what location is that ? lawless or neutral ? 
ghost ships are a mess. they should rare encounters. the rest should be other, normal ships. 

back in the seafaring days the number of trade ships and such vastly outnumbered military and pirate vessels.
the game should reflect that. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, archaegeo said:

Dude I was attacked by two! ghost ships from both sides as I just came out of crossing zones.first thing that greeted me were 10 cannon balls wreaping through my sloop..

I would fight get cannon,but my Sloop dont have 85hp+ like these ships have.

Its only have some cannons like they have 4,5 per side? thats not sloop dude.they should remove this from normal waters or just put one per zone,they belong in end game not normal sea where people still learning to sail,travel trade and just live normal mmo lives..

I use speed sails ,but with zero wind ,even they are useless dont have motor boat dude!

Edited by darcek
Spelling bee

agreed.. they belong in endgame. what this game lacks , apart form balancing, is proper risk / reward.

it should be that the further away from the starter zones you travel the more dangerous mobs and AI ships become.

but currently its all over the freakin place, every single sector, no matter where (except maybe freeports) mean death. not certain but pretty darn close.

unless you are in a gang that has day 1 and been farming literally 24/7 since launch. and still they have to rebuilt again and again.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, archaegeo said:

They either:

1) A sloop solo or not will not out run all of them

2) No island on the map has all the resources to build a ship and arm it with cannons/ammo. Need to sail to other islands for those resources. Hence sailing with no cannons.

3) Wait till you see a Yellow ship spawn on top of you. we had a Brig with 3 large speed sails in full wind and the yellow SotD was literally able to do circles around us. They can also fire straight ahead and wreck your sails as you try to run.

The greens are easy to avoid yes, the others not so much. I think the main point you aren't realizing is the need to sail to various locations in order to even build cannons, or to get to a freeport to recruit NPCs. For people that weren't to that stage before, the SotD have become an impassable barrier.

5 hours ago, Km2 said:

2) No island on the map has all the resources to build a ship and arm it with cannons/ammo. Need to sail to other islands for those resources. Hence sailing with no cannons.

E11 has plentiful resources of all types necessary to build a schooner with cannons. It's a lawless spawn zone, but you can build a raft with a bed to respawn on. Expect to take all day farming and crafting with a group of four or five.

Edit to add: Enjoy the eel pit.

Edited by TheSzerdi

6 minutes ago, TheSzerdi said:

E11 has plentiful resources of all types necessary to build a schooner with cannons. It's a lawless spawn zone, but you can build a raft with a bed to respawn on. Expect to take all day farming and crafting with a group of four or five.

Edit to add: Enjoy the eel pit.

Cool man, sounds great. But how exactly do you contend with SotD being right on the border of a zone and putting you down to 50% hp before you even fully load in.

This morning on PvP EU g10 I personally counted 25 ships of the damned on our path. That's only the ones we've encountered, mind you, not the entire fleet. That's insane. Yes we made it through but it wasn't fun at any time. One is an interesting encounter. Two is stressful enough. But 25? Come on get some damn sense of measure.

10 hours ago, psykikk said:

what location is that ? lawless or neutral ? 
ghost ships are a mess. they should rare encounters. the rest should be other, normal ships. 

back in the seafaring days the number of trade ships and such vastly outnumbered military and pirate vessels.
the game should reflect that. 

I'm not in Lawless of Freeport newbie zones, I'm on a "wild" island.  I don't know how to refer to the non-Freeport and non-Lawless islands... is there a corrects term anyone?