Sign in to follow this  
TurpentineCrow

Let's talk about how mega's ruin the game. 15 person Company Limit.

In the current state of the game, large dominant companies are able to utilize knowledge of exploits to complete content and have max level characters within days. They use the larger group as a crutch to then prevent small companies from advancing at all. Many, many, many players have experienced this and will never play the game again. People in the mega companies that do not generally even play with the larger "mega" group leverage this knowledge of exploits and the position of the company to play independently without fear of reprisal from their enemies, because only one of the 4-5 mega's can challenge another mega in a meaningful way. Players who are new, not in a mega, or not interested in being part of this process have a drastically different game to play. I think this problem can be solved by limiting the company size to 15 people. This would make being part of a company much more valuable, and company leaders will have to make decisions on who is actively contributing. This would also give players more opportunities to access features of the game, that would otherwise be block indefinitely by large "mega" companies, think MAW and Cursed Spawns. Players in mega's make up a minority of the game's players, but dominate the field and prevent new players from adopting the game. The fact being, you don't have to sacrifice the game to mega's, you can reduce the company limit, even it it make the mega's "mad", because they're the minority in the scheme of things. It would actually increase you player base by allowing more people to have positive and engaging interactions with the game. Here are some more benefits from a smaller company limit:

1. Mega's won't ruin the game for the majority of players (people who play in mega's are not the majority).

2. Creates a more enjoyable experience for new players learning the game, because no mega's dominating seas and land a week into a new wipe.

3. Server loads during fights are reduced due to less people in companies to zerg into a server, less lag means fights are more enjoyable.

4. Game content within companies is spanned out over more time because less people available to systematically run players through pve content, more challenging with a smaller group.

5. The game map becomes larger because companies are smaller and more effort is required to traverse and develop around the map.

6. Because companies are small, becomes harder to maintain huge swaths of islands, opening more land for groups to fight over and colonize. Generating more content for everyone.

7. Specialization within companies becomes more important, making it more important to engage and participate with your company.

8. Company positions are relative more meaningful, so recruiting become credential based and needs based. (I'd would challenge the most companies generally do not have more than 15 actives at any given time.)

9. You'll save the game from it's slow death back into the best seller list. Mega's don't run this game, take it back from them. 15 Person Company Limit.

Edited by TurpentineCrow

I'm not against the idea of adjusting company mechanics but nothing you said here is accurate. Megas aren't content gating smaller companies. Megas don't have magical exploits to level cap faster than others. This game was designed around the concept of large companies existing (in addition to smaller ones). Every issue you listed here has nothing to do with megas existing and everything to do with poor game design and an incredibly high knowledge barrier for entry.

Also, the whole concept of a "mega" is completely relative. In season 1, megas had a thousand members. In season 9 now, people call companies with 30 players a mega. Because if you're in a small 3 man company, 30 players is an overwhelming force to deal with. So anyone who complains about "megas" at this stage in the game is naive. Or simply bad and unwilling to learn. Or all three. No one is preventing people from farming the maw; even when we had 10+ boats in the maw earlier in the season we would still see small, never-before-seen companies doing their own thing in there. If you're expecting to do content at any time of day with zero resistance, it sounds like you should check out the PvE server. The whole concept of a survival PvP game is that when you go out into the wild, you're risking your stuff. The only company getting content gated this season is Molon Labe.

What's to prevent using alliances to get around this?

I think small companies just need better education on tricks to grind. See my best farming methods in general chat.

If you want to compete then you need to work smarter and more strategically than a Mega. It's still small tribe competitive advantage. Megas are bound to routine, small tribes are very flexible.

It's pirate versus empire. Be the pirate you were meant to be!

They briefly limited company size at the start of one of the seasons, whether on purpose or accident, everyone just made multiple companies. So long as people are gathering in discord it doesn't matter if you make the size 1600 or 16, they're all still going to be able to communicate and work together. 

Edited by SGFTI

ur method is trash.

the real way is the game creates random squads. Throwing u into random squad, with one leader. And the leader can kick u out, then u get thrown into another random squad and so on.

Edited by chukiki2

I do agree with the title os the other thread, changes need to be made. Since content is limited, and its doubtfull enough will be added to make any comeback as far as the game is concerned I'd suggest the following.

Limit armored to three slots for gold. 30k thats plenty.

Stop water building. Boxes could be fine.

Add a few things to spend gold on. 

Make boats acquirable decrease boat times by less than half what they are now.

I know they wanted a boat game, but if you make it so bases are needed and you cant hide all your gold underwater or in a dozen armoreds, it will provide content. Bases to raid, gold to haul. I never worry about mats. Automation has provided plenty, so why steal it. 

These are relatively minor changes except the water building, but even if you omit these you could increase barrel damage to stone structure by another 10 percent or so.