Mick Noheart

Ships of the Damned spawn a little bit too much (?)

Hello all, 

So on my third exit from the Free Port, (it was my third because I keep forgetting the ladder 😂) I saw a couple of SOTD (Ships of the Damned), and I managed to avoid them.

At some point I spot another one and while I was perfoming evasive maneuvers, two more spawned a little bit too close.

As you can all imagine it was a matter of seconds before my beautiful ship sunk, and I was in the water getting eaten by sharks.

So I am just saying maybe, just maybe, these guys should spawn a little less?

I am new to the game so If I am missing something, please enligten me.

Cheers to all and you all have a blast you scurvy seadogs!!

The problem is not the spawn rate. It's the rendering range. You can be on top of them before you know it. It's worse if moving fast. There is a setting for this but even at max it's way too low. I understand rending these SOD at greater range would have a cost but something should be done about this. I suggest a glow seen at greater range, without rending the whole ship/s. This would help both those looking for them and looking to avoid them.

And secondly, SOD being on the grid borders where you can spawn after passing through and can be in the middle of them. I recently passed through a grid in my brig to find myself spawning on the other side at a full stop T-boned into a SOD gally, taking damage as I spawned. Resulting in my sinking before I could get untangled from it.

But I been here since release and have learned to just deal with it. Fixes like these just don't ever come.

• Like 3

I would say it's a survival game and you have to learn the fears of the seas... at least in the first 1-2x trials you start from freeport with a raft or sloop. These ships will soon be no issue for you at all and you don't even mind ramming them or simply ignore them. To loose A Brigantine after border crossing is most likely only hapening to Xbox Players because the grid change last 2-3 minutes instead of seconds. Yes the SotD could be forced to stay away from the border by Devs to avoid this issue if Xbox Players lower sails before crossing. If you hunt those SotD in Golden Age later you will not find them or not the high level once... but on a raft they will be every where. Enjoy your survival expirience as long as possible 🙂

I agree to make something to increase their render range or at least a hint that makes you aware of them more early. With the new modular ships turning rates it's quite difficult for new players that start with a Cog or Tramp freighter now... a shooner was much  more beginner friendly in it's handling. Well until you loose your first plank and notice you do not have some spare planks to replace them. But most likely a new player with a Cog will not have repair kits as well^^

Edited by Nacona
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nacona said:

To loose A Brigantine after border crossing is most likely only hapening to Xbox Players because the grid change last 2-3 minutes instead of seconds.

No, I'm on a 12900/3070/fiber gaming pc. Passing between grid is maybe 6 or 7 seconds. I just think grid rezzing tangled with a SOD gally and it and its fleet shooting at you is not good game play. It's bad mechanics. And it's worse in a starter ship leaving the free port because you're back on the beach pounding trees.

Other than that I have no problem with SOD and would even up the count so they are not so hard to find. To the OP's point, it not how they spawn, it how they render and de-render based on range. Even if the glow they emit rendered at 4 or 5 times the range it would help all that wanted to find or avoid them.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, Christopher Blake said:

They spawn a little too much until you sail away to hunt them down. Then, you won't see any for a long time!

This is the most accurate thing. It's always when you are looking for something you can't find it. 

I feel like half the time you hit major pockets where none spawn for quite some time. 

Not sure how they spawn though if it is like an area or just around you randomly timed events.